JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Any regrets on parts?? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/any-regrets-parts-14262/)

simon 08-23-2007 11:39 AM

Any regrets on parts??

I was curious to see if anyone has any regrets on parts or accessories they purchased for their JK. This would be a good source of products not to buy.

BLKRUBI 08-23-2007 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by simon (Post 158371)
I was curious to see if anyone has any regrets on parts or accessories they purchased for their JK. This would be a good source of products not to buy.

My Skyjacker lift....not that there is necessarily anything wrong with it (other than the track relocation brackets), but I could have gotten a Teraflex or Full Traction kit for the price and the Skyjacker lower controls arms are pretty much useless. They are non adjustable and not that much stronger that the factory arms, so what's the point?

jeepn0811 08-23-2007 03:04 PM

I wish I would have went with 37's and not 35's. That's about it. Oh, and maybe a lift that fixed the rake of the suspension.

unimog2 08-23-2007 03:14 PM

Regrets on parts

For those of you who have not gotten your Jp magazine this month it had a article on Suspensions, the best JK lift. Good Items to help us to be a bit more informed. Also Peterson's 4Wheel& Off Road had the same suspension Shootout with more detail. Both a good read. Makes me think I should have spent more on my BD lift.

Enjoy

seer1 08-23-2007 03:26 PM

The Skidrow front skid and the Bestop Tailgate Rack Bracket for Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited, 07. That front skid doesn't really seem to do anything, maybe it's more meant for the Rubi E-Sway bar. The holes weren't lined up right so I had to drill the bumper. Now that I have a new bumper coming, it's probably going on Ebay. [IMG]http://my.project-jk.com/data/500/medium/frontjeep.jpg[/IMG]
That bracket was a first thought, but I decided to go with that Rock Hard and the attached trail rack instead. That's headed to Ebay too, although the rack itself is going to be hung from my roll bar inside for better use of my cargo space on extended camping trips.

zero2krazy 08-23-2007 03:41 PM

Though its not a part but a mod, I did mesh grill insert using material i bought from home depot. I spray painted it black to match my jeep, but after about a week I could see spots I missed, no matter how hard I tried every day I would see another spot that needed touched up, and spots from rocks hitting it on the highway were popping up constantly. Just today I took it out and put the Mr.Grille Chrome inserts in. If you do decide do that, the directions were terrible, but I personally love how it looks.

jckid 08-23-2007 03:45 PM

The only part I was disappointed in was a bumper I ordered. I won't name names, because it's popular on this site, but I was really disappointed with the finish and the overall look/design. It cost me $75 to ship it back. For now I''m sticking with the stock bumper until I have a chance to see more of the bumper offerings in person. Sometimes it is hard to pick something out just by looking at pictures.

iceman7311 08-23-2007 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by zero2krazy (Post 158531)
Though its not a part but a mod, I did mesh grill insert using material i bought from home depot. I spray painted it black to match my jeep, but after about a week I could see spots I missed, no matter how hard I tried every day I would see another spot that needed touched up, and spots from rocks hitting it on the highway were popping up constantly. Just today I took it out and put the Mr.Grille Chrome inserts in. If you do decide do that, the directions were terrible, but I personally love how it looks.

Do you have Pics?

seer1 08-23-2007 04:12 PM

Great idea for a thread!:yup:

john98026 08-23-2007 05:03 PM

Warrior Safari Rack and Air Dam

This may be a bit long but, here goes. I bought a a Warrior Safari rack for my JK. When it arrived, I actually read the installation instructions and discovered that I really needed corner reinforcements before I went any further. I ordered them and waited. When they arrived, my son and I installed the corners and rack, per the somewhat useless instructions, and the rack looked bad. The basket was made 2-1/2" too long! I contacted Warrior and we made arrangements for me to drive down (300 miles round trip) and get a new basket. I was to be reimbursed for my costs. :)

When I arrived, the basket that they had waiting for me was the same as the one that I had! They went through a stack of them until they found one that was only 1/2" too long and I reluctantly agreed to accept it. :naw:

At this time, I also told them that the optional air dam that I had purchased wasn't going to work as the designer seemed to forget that there are light tabs that would interfere. They took my air dam and told me that they were aware of the problem and that I would receive a redesigned one as soon as it was built. :cool:

At this time I was also told that I was not going to be paid for my trouble but would receive 'products' instead. Again, I reluctantly agreed. :hmm:

I sent an email asking about some items that I might be interested in as payment for my troubles. I wasn't offered any items, only a small discount! Now, I am getting mad. :cursing:

Several weeks later, I got the air dam and guess what? IT DIDN'T FIT EITHER! I had to bend the brackets to get it to fit but I managed. After all of that, the first time I drove over 50MPH, the air dam banged into the light tabs, making it almost unbearable to drive. :banghead:

I went to the hardware store, bought some hinges and bolts and eliminated that problem by attaching the hinge between the light tab and the air dam. No more noise. :whoaisme:

I would suggest that you stay away from anything that Warrior makes. Of the 3 items I purchased, the corner reinforcements fit OK but 2 baskets and 2 air dams didn't for an 80% failure rate. Them ain't good numbers :giveup: