Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

anybody else in a cold area see this?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody else in a cold area see this?

Ok this has happend twice to me now, and both times the temp. was below 15 degrees F. The JK was warmed up for 10 minutes, drove to the bus stop to drop off the kids, stopped at a stop sign and as i went to pull away IT happened...... the ABS light flashes and blinks and the battery light comes on???? like i said this is the 2nd time in this week. I think it is temp related. Called the local dealer no on else has reported the problem. But on the good side is that all is cleared after turning off the JK and restarting. Has anyone else seen this???

07 JK Unlimited
3 inch BDS suspension lift
33x11.5x16
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Warrior Products Tube Doors
Mopar Off Road Rear Bumper
Oil Pan Tranny Skid Plate by SkidRow
Custom Front Winch Bumper by RoundStar OffRoad
Skyjacker Adjustable Rear Track Bar
Skyjacker Brake Line Extenders
Rock Krawler Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms
Dual Steering Stabilizer from Rough country
And Plenty of "CHARACTER" From rocks and Trees
“A bad day wheeling, is better than good day in Prison!”
^ YCP 4X4 motto ^
Old 01-20-2009, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I'm from canada and my Jk has gone through winters at -40 and not seen that. I did get a burntout ABS sensor and it did what you indicated but that was summer.

The point being that it may not be the cold it may just be the time for it to happen.

Check the threads for the same indication.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's been quite cold here in Minnesota the last week, but I have not seen this on my 2009 Unlimited Sahara automatic. I'll keep an eye peeled though in case I missed something.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 0311sgt
Ok this has happend twice to me now, and both times the temp. was below 15 degrees F. The JK was warmed up for 10 minutes, drove to the bus stop to drop off the kids, stopped at a stop sign and as i went to pull away IT happened...... the ABS light flashes and blinks and the battery light comes on???? like i said this is the 2nd time in this week. I think it is temp related. Called the local dealer no on else has reported the problem. But on the good side is that all is cleared after turning off the JK and restarting. Has anyone else seen this???
Could be a weak battery. My '05 TJ acted up when it was time to change the battery. It did all sorts of crazy stuff and lit up all sorts of lights on the dash. This is a good thing. It's time to upgrade to an Optima battery! Yellow or Red top.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:23 PM
JK Newbie

I had very similar symptoms when I had a battery on its last legs. Dealer replaced it under warranty and never had a problem again.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Could also be ice buildup on the abs sensor. Not letting it get a good reading.

If you have a garage you might try letting it get warm overnight and melt any ice.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also think it might be the battery. Batteries do get weaker in the cold. The ABS light might be coming on as a side effect. I have a diesel VW for a commuter car and when the battery went in that car every light on the dash was blinking.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

No, haven't happened to me and I live in a cold winter region.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I live in the cold and have had the BAS and ESP come on and stay on till I shut it off and start it again, had the same thing on a 06 Liberty. Just figured it was the cold.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Freak

like posted above....check your battery..chrysler vehicles are notorius for idiot lights on the dash going nuts for no reason due to low battery. Witht eh col dweather i am pretty sure thats a good possability.

Quick Reply: anybody else in a cold area see this?