JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Anyone regret going with the 6 speed JK? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/anyone-regret-going-6-speed-jk-80876/)

Kawboy40 04-08-2009 08:39 AM

Anyone regret going with the 6 speed JK?

I've come to a deal on my trade-in and am now in the process of having my dealer locate me a Unlimited Rubicon. Currently they are having trouble finding me a Rubi with a 6 speed in the color and options that I'm interested in.

I've read all the pros and cons about auto vs. manual and decided to go with the 6 speed. I guess what I'm asking here is has anyone who also picked a manual trans later regretted that decision? Thanks for your input.

Offroadme 04-08-2009 08:48 AM

i would never want to drive anything else. sometimes in traffic it can be a pain in the A** but i love it. would never go back to auto

tkob1060 04-08-2009 08:49 AM

just dont shift when you get stuck in the mud, cuz you'll kill the clutch sucking the mud up inside :yup:

saltman 04-08-2009 08:53 AM

I wouldn't have it any other way. No automajic for me. EVER.

Jeepin Dad 04-08-2009 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by tkob1060 (Post 1050002)
just dont shift when you get stuck in the mud, cuz you'll kill the clutch sucking the mud up inside :yup:

That was the only time I regreted it. :naw:

drew 04-08-2009 09:07 AM

6 speed

The 3.8 needs all the help it can get. Go with the 6 speed.

2008 Rubicon 2 door
Detonator Yellow
6 speed
Hardtop

Tow Package
Power group

JK-Tex 04-08-2009 09:25 AM

Can't imagine anything else. Yes, she shifts like a tractor, but that's part of the charm. It gets you closer to the mechanical nature of the Jeep. The Hill Start Assist on the 09s is pretty slick, too. I know some others have complained about it, but mine works like a charm. I've driven sticks all my life and can pull away on a hill just fine, but I like HSA all the same.

Kawboy40 04-08-2009 09:41 AM

Thanks for all the advise. My dealer is having a hard time finding one with-in 150 miles. White is my 1st choice but the only one they can find has a soft top. There is one in detonator yellow, but I have to decide if I'll like it a few years from now.

JK-Tex 04-08-2009 09:56 AM

I think Detonator Yellow is an awesome color, and would have bought one if they'd had it. The black fenders and top really tone down the yellow. [EDIT: you're getting a Rubi. Axle ratio doesn't matter. Rock Trac rules. Lucky you!]

JKinmarana 04-08-2009 09:58 AM

6-speed is awesome! I leaned how to drive on dirt roads in a ford F-150 from the 70's with a manual transmission. I've only ever owned manual tranmission vehicles. The JK X is fun as hell to drive, even when i'm not off road.
The only time I've ever slightly regretted not having an automatic is when I come to a stop sign or stoplight and my girlfriend is with me. I hate having to take my hand off of her shifter so I can shift the Jeep...

But, yeah, stick with the color you really want...