Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone selling or thinking of selling their JK?

Old 06-11-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone selling or thinking of selling their JK?

Just curious? I have had mine for sale for about a month and have not had a bite. It is a 2008 two door, auto, soft top S package, tow and power group, front and rear Mopar bumper with a Smittybilt #8000 winch and N fab nerf bars, side air bags and Infinity sound. It has 4,400 miles. I was looking to get $23,500. I called the dealer where I bought it and they said they would sell it for $18,000 - $20,000. Does this sound right? What do you think I can get?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lot of people like the lifetime warranty that isn't transferable. For a few grand more and low interest rates they just bite the bullet
Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nobody wants to buy my MINI Cooper, and it should be selling since most people would think it wasn't a gas guzzler (but it is).

One thing I did to make it more attractive to the average buyer was to remove all the go-fast parts to make it appear that it has been stock for the past 90K miles.

I wonder if removing your winch and bumper would improve resale value since it would not appear to have been used off-road. . . .
Old 06-11-2008, 09:43 AM
JK Freak

If you remove the winch I will buy it!
Old 06-11-2008, 09:46 AM
JK Junkie

SUV's just are not selling right now due to gas prices and other consumer concerns. Jeeps have always held their resale value well, but I think an overabundance of the JK's on the market right now have diluted the prices. If you can, you might be better off holding for another 6-12 months and try selling it then. Not sure why you are selling, but if it's to save gas money, just consider how much of a loss you might take and figure how long it would take with a more fuel efficient vehicle to make that up.

Try this, I get about 20 mpg on the Jeep, if I get rid of it and buy something that got 35 mpg, but I took a hit of $8000 on the Jeep to do it becasue they are not selling well right now & If I drove 15,000 miles a year, I would save $1286 a year, but to make back the $8000 I lost would take more than 6 years to do so. So while it may seem like you are saving money, you really are not for several years. (these numbers were based on $4 per gallon to keep it simple, obviously higher gas prices may shorten this)
Old 06-11-2008, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought mine 5 weeks ago, and I didn't even look seriously at the used JK's because I wanted the LIfetime warranty and the 0% financing. The savings on the Jeep would have to be significant to make me give up all the advantages of buying new (selection, convenience, payment).
Old 06-11-2008, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scouter4life
SUV's just are not selling right now due to gas prices and other consumer concerns. Jeeps have always held their resale value well, but I think an overabundance of the JK's on the market right now have diluted the prices. If you can, you might be better off holding for another 6-12 months and try selling it then. Not sure why you are selling, but if it's to save gas money, just consider how much of a loss you might take and figure how long it would take with a more fuel efficient vehicle to make that up.

Try this, I get about 20 mpg on the Jeep, if I get rid of it and buy something that got 35 mpg, but I took a hit of $8000 on the Jeep to do it becasue they are not selling well right now & If I drove 15,000 miles a year, I would save $1286 a year, but to make back the $8000 I lost would take more than 6 years to do so. So while it may seem like you are saving money, you really are not for several years. (these numbers were based on $4 per gallon to keep it simple, obviously higher gas prices may shorten this)
Agreed. SUV's are not selling. In fact, the dealer where I purchased mine is running a special on JK's for $18,990. I am not selling to save gas money. There is another purpose for the sale. I probably will hang on to it for now due to poor sales. Just looking for input.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElovesC
If you remove the winch I will buy it!
Check your PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

I actually just came to the decision to sell my 2008 JK Unlimited 4dr Rubi. I just bought it 3 months ago, but things have conspired against me and it would be better for me to sell and get into something more practical. I am actually checking with the dealer where I bought it and hoping to get at least $25k trade in on a 2008 Honda Element SC.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Coastie
I actually just came to the decision to sell my 2008 JK Unlimited 4dr Rubi. I just bought it 3 months ago, but things have conspired against me and it would be better for me to sell and get into something more practical. I am actually checking with the dealer where I bought it and hoping to get at least $25k trade in on a 2008 Honda Element SC.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Anyone selling or thinking of selling their JK?