Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone selling or thinking of selling their JK?

Old 06-11-2008, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coastie
I actually just came to the decision to sell my 2008 JK Unlimited 4dr Rubi. I just bought it 3 months ago, but things have conspired against me and it would be better for me to sell and get into something more practical. I am actually checking with the dealer where I bought it and hoping to get at least $25k trade in on a 2008 Honda Element SC.
I briefly thought of trading my JK when I found in the first few hundred miles that it was uncomfortable for long trips. I asked my very salesperson to see what he could do to help me out. What once was priced at 25k suddenly became worth 18,500 with 400 miles and 3 weeks into the purchase.

I decided to keep it, added cruise control and never looked back. I can't imagine trying to recoup 6 or 8 thousand dollars in fuel savings.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

A Wrangler Unlimited will drop approximately $7500 when you drive it off the lot. The second year it will drop roughly $2500. The third year about $2000, and about $1500 to $2000 every year there after.
Selling a vehicle within the first few years is like selling stock investments tha day after you bought them. Only the stock broker or car dealers win.

If your are selling your Jeep because you want better gas mileage, you will throw $15,000 away, ( Seven Five on the Jeep and another Seven Five instant loss on the high mileage car) . It's going to take a long time to break even. Keep the Jeep and take a few busses or bicycle now and then.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, I would never trade it in.......Maybe for another Jeep.
I don't know what it is but I'm totally in love with this vehicle.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Junkie

Bought mine for $33k. Put $17k in mods into it. I now have $50K into it. I thought about selling it for $40k, but no such luck. Mine only has 1500 miles and has never seen mud or rain. I guess its time for a 5.7 or 6.4 Hemi and keep it forever.

BTW. Im headed to AEV to do some test driving next week. They have a 5.7 and a 6.4.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Same here! Here in Vancouver gas prices went up to $5.70 a gallon but Im not even considering changing my ride! Jeep that is! I love it! All I can do though, BIKE to WORK =)
Old 06-11-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why would I sell it? I just got it only has 120 miles on it....I mostly work from home and then if I do travel for work that's extra money in my pocket, so... yeah gas prices are killer, but then it's also nice that I only fill up once every two-three weeks when not on the road.

As my wife says, working from home is like getting a raise! Mostly we leave the house twice a day, in the morning to take my daughter to daycare and in the afternoon to pick her up. We run errands either before or after.

Next fall '09, her school is less than a mile away and they are building a new grocery store a little over a mile away. Thinking about getting a golf cart for the "DD"
Old 06-11-2008, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rockemsock
I bought mine 5 weeks ago, and I didn't even look seriously at the used JK's because I wanted the LIfetime warranty and the 0% financing. The savings on the Jeep would have to be significant to make me give up all the advantages of buying new (selection, convenience, payment).
Darn,

I want 0% finance, that would be me over the edge?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

interesting comment scooter4life, makes total sense. People should never buy a JEEP for gas milage, a JEEP is a life style, if you want economy buy a Honda. Besides there are plenty of other vehicles out there that get worse gas milage, ie the FJ LOSER CRUISER, that burns preimum gas , and diesel trucks are not as cheap to run anymore, with some getting 8-12 mpg. But as scooter said trading or selling soon after purchase will hurt, ya might as well bend over.Sorry your getting out of your JEEP, have you considered keeping it and buying a cheap daily driver ie Hyundai Accent 8995.00 new. 45 mpg.....Almost as much as you will lose selling it..
Old 06-12-2008, 02:28 AM
JK Jedi

Not planning to sell mine, but am going to try and find a fuel efficient commuter by the fall.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kntr
Bought mine for $33k. Put $17k in mods into it. I now have $50K into it. I thought about selling it for $40k, but no such luck. Mine only has 1500 miles and has never seen mud or rain. I guess its time for a 5.7 or 6.4 Hemi and keep it forever.

BTW. Im headed to AEV to do some test driving next week. They have a 5.7 and a 6.4.
Keep us posted on the test drives, and I sure hope if you spring for a Hemi that at that point they'll give you the decals. lol

And to the OP, how much did you pay for your Jeep originally? I think the dealer's quote to you on what it would sell for used, is unfortunately true. All the goodies we add to our Jeeps that we think are the cat's pajamas don't end up being worth much of anything when it comes to reselling the Jeep.

Quick Reply: Anyone selling or thinking of selling their JK?