Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Authorities Say Jeep Aftermarket Bumper Contributed to Fatalities

Old 03-04-2015, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Super sad but it looks like two people responsible for this sad news.

First, the dude in the Cruze

...following a Chevrolet Cruze driven by an unnamed 17-year-old boy....The driver of the Cruze missed the turn for the Dog Mountain Trailhead and stopped the car in the middle of the two-lane highway...
Why stop in the middle of the highway?! Just pull off safely...go to the next turn around. Something.

Then the Jeep...

The driver of the Accord attempted to brake to avoid the collision and was rear-ended by Calarco's Jeep.
Totally was pre-occupied with something.

Then back to the Cruze...
Finn said the driver of the Cruze along with other passengers admitted to possessing marijuana. Charges for possession and paraphernalia were referred to Skamania County juvenile court for possible prosecution.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a FF/EMT, I find it hard to believe that an aftermarket bumper would be that significant of a difference in the impact. I think the whole ~2 ton mass of metal moving at 55-60mph is a little more relevant here. Sad nonetheless.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK505
First guns start killing people and now bumpers are killing people! Let's give them both bad press until we can take them away from people!
Very unfortunate indeed. I could see how a stinger bar would have made it into the back seat but getting hit from behind at 55-60 mph could be fatal as well. Prayers to the family and all those affected
Old 03-04-2015, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are certainly more interesting facts about the loss that the editor could have opened with, but no, we're focusing on aftermarket bumpers for some reason. Like complete inattention, and a stupid young driver behind the wheel were totally secondary causes of the fatalities. The bumper was simply the mechanism.

We'll probably see legislation out of Oregon attempting to ban the use of aftermarket bumpers and stingers on public roadways.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HoboBob
As a FF/EMT, I find it hard to believe that an aftermarket bumper would be that significant of a difference in the impact. I think the whole ~2 ton mass of metal moving at 55-60mph is a little more relevant here. Sad nonetheless.
I agree with this. I think it would have been just as bad or worse in a pickup truck.

And it wouldn't surprise me if with a stock bumper there would have been fatalities in the Jeep too.

Last edited by 14Sport; 03-04-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Don't know about Oregon but here in Florida if you're under the influence all fault goes to you, No matter who caused wreck. This is not to say the kid driving the Cruze was stoned but that wouldn't have made the headline impact that "Aftermarket bumper kills" does.

ed: It's like if a pedestrian gets hit by a car the headline reads "Pedestrian struck on highway".... But make that vehicle an SUV and the headline goes to "SUV kills pedestrian".

Last edited by ockgator; 03-04-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

"Check out that mechanism of injury..." (YouTube it if you don't get it, it's a good laugh)
Old 03-04-2015, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK505
"Check out that mechanism of injury..." (YouTube it if you don't get it, it's a good laugh)
I actually have seen that
Old 03-04-2015, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

I actually have seen that
Lol Yes! Hijack:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7VC3Ni0oh8Q

Hijack over, sorry yall. FF humor
Old 03-05-2015, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk_sea
We'll probably see legislation out of Oregon attempting to ban the use of aftermarket bumpers and stingers on public roadways.
That was already tried in NY. It was shot down.

I would agree that my pre-runner could add to the damage in the event I were to hit someone. Having that steel tube sticking forward of the actual bumper means it will strike first, and likely penetrate the thin sheet-metal of a car, and possibly do severe damage to any occupant it intrudes upon.
However, as I'm a very aware driver, if I were to hit someone it would be because they did something stupid and decided to suicide on the front of my Jeep.

And if you want to ban my aftermarket bumper due to increased damage... you'd better be ready to ban ALL plows and the solid steel bumpers used on semi's and buses. They are easily as dangerous (if not more so) than my Jeep!

Quick Reply: Authorities Say Jeep Aftermarket Bumper Contributed to Fatalities