Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Authorities Say Jeep Aftermarket Bumper Contributed to Fatalities

Old 03-05-2015, 03:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gotta agree here

Originally Posted by HoboBob
As a FF/EMT, I find it hard to believe that an aftermarket bumper would be that significant of a difference in the impact. I think the whole ~2 ton mass of metal moving at 55-60mph is a little more relevant here. Sad nonetheless.
if the bumper had a stinger then maybe the pointed end might have penetrated further but if it were a standard bull bar then the surface area would have been larger with less penetration. I doubt that the bumper had anything to do with it. mass of the jeep is last more than the honda, by the way I read honda civic had a very poor crash rating Hmmm no mention of that . but like others I think who in the H___ stops in the middle of a road. and yes the jeep was probably not paying attention. seem like no one ever considers what is going on behind them. so many people leave others hanging out in th breeze when they stop to make a turn or wait form some one to back out .......
Old 03-07-2015, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you look close it appears there may be a stinger Piercing through the back door of the car (near the back of the window)
Old 03-07-2015, 07:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you guys are over processing this. Federal regs indicate and require a vehicle to "collapse" on impact. The jeep obviously didn't do that. The frame and bumper remained in place and penetrated the vehicle, transferring energy into the cabin of both vehicles. The car, "collapsing" as it should, took all the force. Think of two soda cans. One unopened, the other, opened. Two similar structures, one is already weaker and will take on all the damage. We have seen wrecks of similar nature without aftermarket bumpers in place. Just a bad wreck. If the car had been a truck, or a vehicle of equivalent build and weight, it would have been a different outcome.

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 03-07-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Trying to picture why the jeep crumple zones would not have crushed due to the bumper?
It seems like this may be a matter of weight, the lighter vehicle may just have taken the brunt force as it was much lighter than the jeep?
I am not sure either way?
Old 03-08-2015, 03:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Warpath66
If you look close it appears there may be a stinger Piercing through the back door of the car (near the back of the window)
I thought that was window trim but I think you're right.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I thought that was window trim but I think you're right.
I definitely feel that if the jeep did not have a stinger then the outcome would have been different. However accidents happen. If the jeep was lifted more it may have missed the kids, if the car was lower maybe it would have missed the kids If if if.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1876685956.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	600228

Definitely the stinger through the window

Last edited by jrod250; 03-08-2015 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:36 AM
JK Super Freak

I think it's just all about safe driving. I have a stinger and know that it'll wreck most of the cars on the roads if I hit them, so I don't drive like an idiot. I keep some distance and watch out for dumb drivers (northern VA is full of them)
Old 03-08-2015, 07:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HoboBob
As a FF/EMT, I find it hard to believe that an aftermarket bumper would be that significant of a difference in the impact. I think the whole ~2 ton mass of metal moving at 55-60mph is a little more relevant here. Sad nonetheless.
Obviously, the Jeep is overall much stronger than the Honda.
But then, I know of Toyota that was rear ended and totaled by a medium sized truck, at less than half that speed.

Steel bumpers cause more damage than the stock ones. For that reason, in my country, steel bumpers are illegal. The exception is bumpers with winches... I guess that the assumption is that winches need steel bumpers, and no one would install a winch in order to have a steel bumper... Well, that new law made me finally get a winch...

jk_sea
There are certainly more interesting facts about the loss that the editor could have opened with, but no, we're focusing on aftermarket bumpers for some reason. Like complete inattention, and a stupid young driver behind the wheel were totally secondary causes of the fatalities. The bumper was simply the mechanism.
We'll probably see legislation out of Oregon attempting to ban the use of aftermarket bumpers and stingers on public roadways.
The blame is on all three drivers, ESPECIALLY on the two that didn’t keep enough distance and didn’t concentrate on driving.

rj'sjeep
if the bumper had a stinger then maybe the pointed end might have penetrated further but if it were a standard bull bar then the surface area would have been larger with less penetration.
A stinger, especially on a lifted Jeep, would have been above the Honda and most any cars’ rear end.
I don’t think it’s a stinger, but if it is, than what we see in the picture is the narrow tip of a stinger, in the middle between the 2 rear passengers, bent backwards without going beyond the B-pillar frame.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tragic story, but please do not try and blame it on the bumper, blame it on multiple stupid drivers unfortunately.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
From the pic it doesn't look like the bumper reached the passenger compartment, although I don't rule it out. Maybe the stinger or brawler bar?
The bumper may not have made it that far but all the bits that used to be the truck of the Honda did.

Quick Reply: Authorities Say Jeep Aftermarket Bumper Contributed to Fatalities