Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: What would you do with my situation? Auto or Standard
Auto
52.17%
Standard
47.83%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Auto or Standard Transmission

Old 12-27-2011, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Auto or Standard Transmission

Well I'm in a rut. What should I do?

There is an Orange Crush Jeep JK that is auto, but I want manual and navigation. Now here is the twist. For me to afford it, I want to buy it by the end of this year so I can tax right off it. If I were to wait, it would take 6-7 years to write it off. What should I do?

Last edited by Adventurer; 12-27-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait to find a standard. If that's what you want you will regret getting anything else even if it's a little cheaper.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

I think I am more towards the Manual. But I know I wouldnt be able to buy a Jeep for a long time. Im kinda caught between the two hence me asking your guys' opinion.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:28 PM
JK Newbie

I wanted manual. Others in family expressed concern that they would not know how to drive it. Bought manual. Wishing that had manual to compensate for over gear feeling, especially since I am looking at moving up to 35s. Now wife actually said, "I wish we had manual for kids to learn that skill." WTF? Lesson learned, get what the primary driver prefers and the rest of the world needs to come along for the ride. Now to trade I would lose my shirt.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Drove stick since I was little. I love stick but I would rather have an auto because it would make crawling and mudding easier.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:35 PM
JK Newbie

37 with a torn meniscus. My shifting days are over. Haha!!

Bought a 2012 Rubicon Auto.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2781020664.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	255173

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-990968801.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	255174
Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had this same problem. Been in the market for over a year looking everyday for used tju in manual ( there hard to find ) then 2 months ago my CPA told me about this one time right off being that it was on short notice and after looking for so long for a tj I had to get a jk ( so glad I did ) it was a hell of a ride to get exactly what I wanted ( color,tras, options) long story short look out of state make it happen this week call every dealer in your state and surrounding states. FYI you can even finance this jeep 0% apr and get the full right off this year. Go for it, good luck.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:46 PM
JK Newbie

If you plan on going to the trails get the auto. The auto makes it easier to do, and plus getting a Wrangler is one of the best things anyone could do!! There is also the fact that you could sell it in a year or two and get a stick. There's always a buyer in the Jeep community. Don't wait! I love stick and I've got an auto for money reasons also and I'm happy with my decision of not waiting.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey there...i wanted stick and settled for auto...
i still think i would prefer stick but i'd rather have my auto than have no JK !
Old 12-28-2011, 03:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Adventurer
Well I'm in a rut. What should I do?

There is an Orange Crush Jeep JK that is auto, but I want manual and navigation. Now here is the twist. For me to afford it, I want to buy it by the end of this year so I can tax right off it. If I were to wait, it would take 6-7 years to write it off. What should I do?

Go for it! Get the auto!

Agreed with abuco51 . . .

I drove manual transmissions for almost 40 years and was really on the fence this time around. I decided to go with auto and I haven't regretted it.

If the Jeep you are looking at has all the features you want (except for the trans), but there is a significant financial incentive to get it, then I say go for it! Besides, the 2012 auto trans has been greatly improved.

Good luck, and all best,
Joe

Quick Reply: Auto or Standard Transmission