Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Auto Trans Issues

Old 10-12-2013, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Trans Issues

Hey folks, I got a question... I tried to search but found no results for my problem. I have an 09 JK with just over 53k miles on it. I am the 2nd Owner. Recently, it has began to makes a whining/zipper sound when the trans shifts in to 2nd gear.. If you come to a complete stop and manual shift the trans it does the same thing. The sound is coming from around the bellhousing/converter area. I'm pretty handy around the wrenches just not sure where to start in diagnosing on this one.. Any ideas from my fellow jeepers?

BTW... Fluid has been changed regularly and is at the fill level.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone?? I'm needing some ideas here...
Old 10-13-2013, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Probably torque converter.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's pretty vague...it doesn't sound like a common issue. Maybe post a youtube video of it happening so people can hear?

Has the trans ever been serviced? I'm not even sure what the service intervals are on those, but if you're at 50k it might be a ripe time to have a trans service done anyway and see if that resolves it.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the insight folks... My '09 was an early model and the lifetime warranty expired with the first owner trading it in.. I am taking it to a good transmission shop that I know on Friday... Maybe he can help me out.. I think it may be the torque convertor as well..

Quick Reply: Auto Trans Issues