JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Bad carfax? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/bad-carfax-175363/)

jjntj2003 04-26-2011 01:23 PM

Bad carfax?

Just bought my jku a month ago. Today I was doing the grill mod and tinting the turn signals and had seen where another member had swapped the tails around thought wth it's a small mod might do it. When I took the passenger tail off the paint is a little messed up like it had been painted and did not dry hard enough so the light kinda stuck an indention in it. So now I'm looking even closer and the bottom is the same where they meet. An even closer look and the tailgate hinges have just a tiny bit of overspray in the cracks.

I called my self looking over it before I bought it and had the dealer pull the carfax but now am worried. This was a lease turn in so I'm wondering if it has been wrecked and not reported for lease reasons or if the carfax is wrong. Is there any other way to find this info?

jjntj2003 04-26-2011 01:26 PM

Also the passenger tail light harness had over spray on it !!

Nickit1981 04-26-2011 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by jjntj2003 (Post 2254378)
Just bought my jku a month ago. Today I was doing the grill mod and tinting the turn signals and had seen where another member had swapped the tails around thought wth it's a small mod might do it. When I took the passenger tail off the paint is a little messed up like it had been painted and did not dry hard enough so the light kinda stuck an indention in it. So now I'm looking even closer and the bottom is the same where they meet. An even closer look and the tailgate hinges have just a tiny bit of overspray in the cracks.

I called my self looking over it before I bought it and had the dealer pull the carfax but now am worried. This was a lease turn in so I'm wondering if it has been wrecked and not reported for lease reasons or if the carfax is wrong. Is there any other way to find this info?

probably not. as far as i know.. the carfax stuff and dealer records will only show accidents and "incidents" if they are reported. I could go drive my jeep into a parked car and if no one saw me do it and i drive away then no one would know... not that id do that.. just saying.. ya never know who owned a used car before you buy it.

JKdewd 04-26-2011 01:29 PM

Computers/Software

Are only as good as the data which is entered, that said.. carfax is NOT 100%!:doh:

jjntj2003 04-26-2011 01:31 PM

Figured that just my stinking luck I guess!

Hmmm maybe a 2012 in the future! Haha

Cpt. Flapjack 04-26-2011 01:31 PM

I was rear ended in my 1998 firebird 6 months after I bought it. There was a police report, $3000 worth of damage, and an insurance claim. To this day, my car fax shows no accidents or repairs.

DO NOT TRUST CARFAX! Inspect any used vehicle yourself.

runforestrun 04-26-2011 01:47 PM

I had a 2004 infiniti fx35 and was in a small accident. It was reported to police and insurance, but never made it to carfax. Carfax is BS.

smbundy13 04-26-2011 02:04 PM

yeah, CarFax isnt as good as they say. My friend bought a Lincoln aviator and later, he got hit in a parking lot and the body shop called him and said, "Um did you know this has been in a Major Accident?" He said nope, the carfax that he had didnt have anything but the carfax that the body shop had a major accident on it. kind of shady that it was put on carfax like a month after he bought the truck.

I have heard that AutoCheck is better than carfax but dont have much experience with it

jjntj2003 04-26-2011 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Doesn't carfax have a "buyback guarentee"?? Get them to buy it back from you if you bought it with a carfax in hand.

May check into that! Not sure how it works if it's not reported.

TINMAN080 04-26-2011 09:05 PM

I've been in the collision business since the 1970's. MOST cars eventually have something repaired on them. Finding a small amount of overspray means nothing- a shopping cart could have scratched it. A bicycle ridden by a neighbor kid could have scratched it. Or it could have been rear-ended by a locomotive.:rotflmao2: Take it to a reputable shop and get it looked at. Once you do, then you can decide if you can live with it....:beer: