Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is it a bad idea to get a 2012 JKU Rubi Automatic with the 3.73 gears

Old 09-16-2011, 09:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may not have been asked in the "best" way...but it was a fair question.

Now...clearly the OP has the money to afford a Rubi...so he should get what he wants. But if one were looking to save money, asking "why" is legit.

If I remember correctly, the Sahara, and Rubi are all the same height. A Rubi with matching fenders looks like a Sahara with different wheels, a sticker, and rails instead of steps.

Just looked it up...They are basically the same height.

Last edited by panthermark; 09-16-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

RanJR. Seriously? I am buying a Rubi because I can and want to be prepared for whatever and where-ever being a new Jeep owner takes me. Mods, mud, soccer games or to a freaking business trip. Who cares why? JKF is a great resource for many of us but A-holes like you can't help but take the fun...no matter what that means to each of us... out of sharing our story and participating. Find a hole and stay in it!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmont
Ranjr what are you his mom. If the man wants a rubicon then let him get a rubicon. My advice if you have the money then buy a rubicon and dont get a sahara. save the saharas for the soccer moms.
I'm looking at a Sahara.
I'm not a soccer mom.

If the Sport S offered saddle interior...I would really consider getting that.

Funny....if he wants a Rubi simply because it looks tough (when it looks like a Sahara)...that is OK. But if someone wants a Sahara because they KNOW they won't fully use all of a Rubi's features...they are "soccer moms".
Old 09-16-2011, 09:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you have the money get the Rubi..

Why do rich people buy super fast cars when they don't even drive past 90mpg??

Because they can.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...s-buy-Rubicons

There was a thread about this very topic not too long ago.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:59 AM
Lui
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maxg765
There happens to be a 2012 on a lot with all the options I would order but with the 4.10 gears. So far whats holding me back is 3.73 or I'd be there making an offer...

Thanks in advance for the opinions.

Max
4 door models look a lil better with a slight lift and bigger tires. I would certainly go with 4.10's. I see no huge advantage to going smaller.

My gut reaction thinks you're more suited for a sahara. Honestly, You probably won't be exploring too many trails and what not because it will certainly scratch your paint matched hard top and fenders. Could you imagine the screech of a tree branch scraping across your paint? Either way it's your dough, but dealer installed mud tires, and maybe some other goodies slapped on a sahara would probably make more sense in my opinion.

Also just my opinion but, those brighter colors all matched are a bit much without contrast, and kinda resemble the Mercedes g-wagon. I really dig the darker green though.

Good luck shopping!
Old 09-17-2011, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it'll make much of a difference either way for you.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:41 PM
JK Newbie

Default decision

Hello,

I don't know why all the negatives.... Its a forum and I asked for everyones opinion. All of them, so there are no hard feelings towards ANYONE. I more wanted to know about the difference of a Rubi with the 4.10 vs 3.73 and not why I am not the right person to own one. But again its a forum so all the info is welcomed.

This won't be my first jeep. I used to own a 1992 Jeep YJ Sahara in the mat sand color with green interior. I lived in Montreal Canada at the time and a YJ was a good option for our summers with the top down and a hard top with 4WD for our winters... I loved it then and have always longed for another. I often regretting having sold it....

Originally Posted by Lui
4 door models look a lil better with a slight lift and bigger tires. I would certainly go with 4.10's. I see no huge advantage to going smaller.

My gut reaction thinks you're more suited for a sahara. Honestly, You probably won't be exploring too many trails and what not because it will certainly scratch your paint matched hard top and fenders. Could you imagine the screech of a tree branch scraping across your paint? Either way it's your dough, but dealer installed mud tires, and maybe some other goodies slapped on a sahara would probably make more sense in my opinion.

Also just my opinion but, those brighter colors all matched are a bit much without contrast, and kinda resemble the Mercedes g-wagon. I really dig the darker green though.

Good luck shopping!
I have been very much considering the black non painted fenders for this very reason (I'll keep the painted hard top) but its not trees I am worried about. I can't stand a beat up car. Have you seen what a rough city can do to a nice car. I currently own a 2009 Mini JCW Hardtop. With all the large trucks and cars, tight city parking, crappy Florida drivers, and miss managed roads its on its way to get roughed up within months. Another reason I want a Jeep. It will survive the roughest terrain, which in my opinion is a city, better than anything else. The plastic fenders can easily be changed should they get damaged and bumpers are tuff enough to save hundreds of dollars worth of yearly damage unlike the paper thin car bumpers. You are right though, if I got a scratch down the side of any vehicle I owned it would kill me...unless it was a 1979 unrestored FJ-40 with plenty of original patina.

I am curious, if a Sahara is more suited for the on road use due mostly because of its 3.73 gearing wouldn't a Rubi with the same gearing option suite just as well? As mentioned, I am not one to start with the after market/dealer extra options. Usually the way it comes is the way it will mostly stay aside from some extra lights or a roof rack. Plus, who knows, if I were to start some venturing into the off road world I may like it enough to start using its trail capabilities more often. I doubt I would be able to do the extreme rock crawling thats some do but then again, I don't think the Rubi is suited for that out of the box compared to the moded out Jeeps.

Another note to some, I work very hard for my money and don't consider myself "rich". Nothing is handed to me nor has it ever been. I love cars/trucks. Especially vintage ones. For me, they are my release from work. I also love nature but due to many hours of work and a young family I don't get to enjoy it very often. I hope that will change. If I were to buy a Mustang I would want it to be the GT500 Cobra or a Dodge Challenger/Charger I would want that to be an SRT8. I would also never buy a base Mustang and put a Cobra sticker and other markings on it to make it look like something its not. Again, thats just me and to each their own. I currently own one and have owned classic cars in the past. I don't modify them to have more modern comforts. I like to experience them the way they were made with the limitations that existed when they were built. Its interesting to see how they overcame things with creative engineering available in their era. If I owned a sports car of the 50's or 60's you would never find a modern suspension in it. I like to drive it in its original form. All that said I would never want a Hemi JKU. I would love a 4 cylinder diesel, my next Jeep once we get caught up with Europe.

If I had to start with changing tires on a Sahara to make it look more like a Rubi why not start with a Rubi? I am not certain about the ride height, maybe its just the tires that makes it look higher. I also don't like the silver on the Sahara bumpers. Still I am wondering why the Rubi looks more off road capable than a Sahara. You don't see the Dana 44 upfront nor the 4.10 and lockers so why? Just tires and full black bumper?

So, I think I am decided on a Rubi with the 3.73. Painted hard top is a must but still not sure on the fenders. That will depend on the final color. I'd love to know what that new green will be like. Might I end up with a Sahara, yes if I feel it will better suit my needs. Right now no one has shown me why I'd be better off with a Sahara 3.73 vs a Rubi 3.73. Yes I may have more trail capabilities in the Rubi which I'll never use but I'd rather have the extras then fall short one day and start needing to change things out.

Again, thank you all and please keep sharing your thoughts.

Max

Last edited by maxg765; 09-17-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

I didn't know that the Rubi was offered with 3.73's...learn something every day! I see people running 3.73 with all the time...big tires and all! Get whatever works for ya and have some fun!
Old 09-17-2011, 02:08 PM
JK Super Freak

What is the final drive ratio in OD with 3.73 vs 4.10. So you can calculate your engine rpm.

In the current jeeps with the 3.73 and auto the final drive is a little high, or the rpm is too low based on my 4door IMHO. I also have a Rubi but that is a Stick shift and the final drive ratio is a little low for normal highway driving (too many rpm) with standard size tires. (will get fixed with bigger tires shortly)

Since they have the 4:10 rubi in stock drive it and compare it to a non-rubi auto and see what you like better. Remember you have to be happy with your final decision.

Also IMHO 3:73 will detract from resale if you sell it to someone who wants to wheel it hard.

Personally I would buy one off the lot instead of waiting for an order. Plus I bet you can get a better price from an on the lot unit as they always want to turn stuff over.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Quick Reply: Is it a bad idea to get a 2012 JKU Rubi Automatic with the 3.73 gears