Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Beach camping

Old 09-24-2014, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beach camping

I'm from Baltimore maryland, just bought my first jeep a month ago. I wanted to take my girlfriend camping on a beach somewhere, Anybody have any info on this. (Best time to go, where to go, do I need any permits?)
Old 09-24-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Super Freak

All of the beachs in the Cape Cod area require that you have grey water storage and permit. Basically you have to have a camper. I understand why they do it but it really sucks.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:29 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most beach access roads do require a fee and the fee is based on a yearly status.. (Typically $100) We just don't do the beach that often to use a pass like this.. to bad the pass isn't transferable.. Staying in Maryland or venturing out of state?..

I have seen a growing list of beaches that allow off roaders access for a limited time during less active seasons.. Camping on the beach is one things we've yet to do.. being that It's windy and there are several campground along the coast.

Some sites are more secluded.. while other are geared more towards the RV than a jeeper.. In this case, make sure you use the right tent stakes which are the "V" shaped stakes with holes in them. It's going to be windy and sandy.. I do have an issue with starting a campfire.. and actually, we are planning a trip to OBX in late OCT or NOV But I doubt we will off road it to a campground..
Old 09-26-2014, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Assateague, on the Eastern Shore just south of Ocean City, MD is probably your closest option. There is camping at both the state and national parks there. You can also drive on the beach if you purchase a pass, which is around $80, last I heard. Watch the forecast if you're going to be in a tent, since it can be very windy at times.

Assateague Island National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)
Assateague State Park
Old 10-02-2014, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andy_16
I'm from Baltimore maryland, just bought my first jeep a month ago. I wanted to take my girlfriend camping on a beach somewhere, Anybody have any info on this. (Best time to go, where to go, do I need any permits?)
Assateague beach is awesome I camp at the state park the camp sites are much better and closer to the water, and go to the national park which is right next to it for some beach driving, fishing, bonfire. You do need a pass for over sand driving and a few things they ask for like shovel tow strap and some other little things.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE="stangmike1;3990379"] Assateague beach is awesome I camp at the state park the camp sites are much better and closer to the water, and go to the national park which is right next to it for some beach driving, fishing, bonfire. You do need a pass for over sand driving and a few things they ask for like shovel tow strap and some other little things they have a daily pass day yearly pass and an overnight pass.

Quick Reply: Beach camping