Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best Hardtop Hoist System?

Old 08-19-2011, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like my Harken Hoister, best mod I have done because it works great and wasn't expensive. I'm always parked under, its been hanging there for over a month, its really secure. It wasnt the easiest thing to install, but so completely worth it. I can take the top on and off with just me there. I will also hang my soft top on it when it gets cold out.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

4 eye bolts in the ceiling joist and 4 ratchet straps, 20 bucks later I was set, it is not hard or time consuming to do it. Better than dropping 300+ on a powered hoist IMO
Old 08-19-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shameless_Girl
Haha I have the powered one too
Mine was a gift, how cool is that?
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...oist-and-Shelf
Old 08-19-2011, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbuzz84
4 eye bolts in the ceiling joist and 4 ratchet straps, 20 bucks later I was set, it is not hard or time consuming to do it. Better than dropping 300+ on a powered hoist IMO
Do you have a pic of how you do it with just the eye bolts and ratchet straps? How long are your straps?

Originally Posted by Jameslee92
I ended up building a table to slide the top onto that the front of my wife's car can still park under. I wanted to use the Rancor lift but my ceilings have engineered joists and was told over and over they would not support the load.
do you have a pic of this? how do you slide it on w/o scratching it?
Old 08-19-2011, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2424991511.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	199269

It's U-shaped, level with the top of the tailgate. The top is carpeted so it doesn't scratch anything and the top slides off easily. The legs are wide enough that I can pull the front of my wifes car under it with a few inches on each side. Let me see if I can find the write up thread on it for you.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...light=hard+top

Last edited by Jameslee92; 08-19-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ndredsox
I have been using the Harken system for a few weeks now. One thing that I haven't worked up the courage to do is leave in the air and park under it. Just scares me. Anyone have any worries about the pulley system failing or the ropes breaking?
I am confident in the boards and the lag screws but I was also concerned about the pigtail screws, eye bolt, etc. so I understand where you are coming from. I check them periodically and they have held up great. When I do store my top for a good amount of time I do have some "safety" ropes I use just in case the eye bolt gives or something goes with the rope cleat. Those just run from pig tail to pig tail. I also think it's worth it to purchase a marine rope tie off which I bolted to the wall for some extra precaution. So far I have been very happy with the set up. I have very tall garage ceilings so it really is up and out of the way. Mine has been hanging on the ceiling since March.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jameslee92
Attachment 199269

It's U-shaped, level with the top of the tailgate. The top is carpeted so it doesn't scratch anything and the top slides off easily. The legs are wide enough that I can pull the front of my wifes car under it with a few inches on each side. Let me see if I can find the write up thread on it for you.
I can't picture how you do this. Do you have the tailgate open? when do you close the glass back down? how far from the table are you when you slide it off?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by speed2005
Do you have a pic of how you do it with just the eye bolts and ratchet straps? How long are your straps?

do you have a pic of this? how do you slide it on w/o scratching it?
I can get you pics when I am at home, simply put eye bolts into your studs on the ceiling (obviously measure where you will want them in relation to your jeep) then put the ratchet straps at the corners. I used 12' which leaves a TON of slack line, if I buy another set I will go 8'. To take the top off I start w/ the front, lift it up to insert the ratchet strap into the bolt hole for the front, ratchet up a little, as you do this to both sides the rear will un-seat (but not slide) which allows you to move it up and place the other ratchet strap hook (ensure a padded hook) onto the back in between the corner and the gate and repeat. Once you have all 4 sides lifted a tiny bit go around to all 4 sides lifting a little at a time until your desired height is achieved. Then just carefully drive out of the garage w/o the top. To lower just repeat in opposite fashion. Takes me about 10 min. taking my time, no scratched to date. I will post pics soon
Old 08-19-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	199285

Another I option I quickly GOOGLe'D
Old 08-19-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jbuzz84
Attachment 199285

Another I option I quickly GOOGLe'D
do you know how long the straps have to be for something like that?

Quick Reply: Best Hardtop Hoist System?