Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best Hardtop Hoist System?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed2005
I can't picture how you do this. Do you have the tailgate open? when do you close the glass back down? how far from the table are you when you slide it off?

The table is U-shaped so I can open the tail gate with it butted up to the back of the jeep. So I back in with the glass open, roll the table right up against the back of the jeep. it touches the jeep right at the tail lights. I can open and close the tailgate about 45 degrees to aid in getting in and out. I slide the top back onto the table far enough that the table is holding the top, about 3/4 of the way on, then i close the glass and slide it the rest of the way back on the table. Finally I roll the table back against the rear wall of the garage.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbuzz84
I can get you pics when I am at home, simply put eye bolts into your studs on the ceiling (obviously measure where you will want them in relation to your jeep) then put the ratchet straps at the corners. I used 12' which leaves a TON of slack line, if I buy another set I will go 8'. To take the top off I start w/ the front, lift it up to insert the ratchet strap into the bolt hole for the front, ratchet up a little, as you do this to both sides the rear will un-seat (but not slide) which allows you to move it up and place the other ratchet strap hook (ensure a padded hook) onto the back in between the corner and the gate and repeat. Once you have all 4 sides lifted a tiny bit go around to all 4 sides lifting a little at a time until your desired height is achieved. Then just carefully drive out of the garage w/o the top. To lower just repeat in opposite fashion. Takes me about 10 min. taking my time, no scratched to date. I will post pics soon
do the ratchet straps work the same way in reverse? I know you can ratchet up slownly but don't they just drop when you unlock them?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default This is nice to

This is the one I use. The link below is a really good write-up on how to build and is realitly cheap.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=hoist+system
Old 08-19-2011, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by speed2005
do you know how long the straps have to be for something like that?
I believe those are the 12' straps, it really depends how much travel you desire. The picture I posted is a harder war to do it IMO, just something I found. As long as you have an average amount of upper body strength you can reverse the straps w/o a problem....
Old 08-19-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jbuzz84
I believe those are the 12' straps, it really depends how much travel you desire. The picture I posted is a harder war to do it IMO, just something I found. As long as you have an average amount of upper body strength you can reverse the straps w/o a problem....
Ok please post pics of yours when u can
Old 08-19-2011, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's mine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1733605966.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	199509   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3312742263.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	199510   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2379118461.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	199511   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1107432283.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	199512  
Old 08-20-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

^ thanks for shareing!
Enyone else? I'd like to do simething this weekend
Old 08-20-2011, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

Default I did the Lange Hoits-A-Top this morning....

I got the hoist system on Friday and read the instructions Friday night over a beer. The instructions are not great, but if you have any mechanical ability at all it is easy. Installed the electric hoist to the wall and then built the rack. Once I was backed into the garage and ready to give it go it was about 90 minutes later. Then forgot to disco the washer tube and light harness - oops. Then took about 5 mins to balance the top on the hoist perpendicular to the ceiling. The only "issue" is not being able to use the safety stop as the hoist is wall mounted close the pulley set up. I was out the door and off to my sons football scrimmage in just over 2 hours.

I would recommend this despite it being sort of pricey.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00042-20110820-1457.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	199840  
Old 08-20-2011, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

i just purchased the harken lift. it seems to work fine i guess. i wish i had another to compare it to. my only issue (which is not a big deal really) is i am unable to get all four corners connected to and disconnected from the hard top without a little pulling and pushing. this may be normal for any hoyer type lift, i dont know. but overall it is well worth the money, and your neighbors will like you better.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
I much be the only person to just suck it up and buy the Lange Hoist a Top! I even bought the powered one. Man am I one lazy person but it makes my life so much easier!
That makes two of us.....was flipping through Quadratec catalog and saw the Lange one so I went ahead and got it. The powered one. But it does make things easier.....

Quick Reply: Best Hardtop Hoist System?