Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best Hardtop Hoist System?

Old 08-20-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilot
I got the hoist system on Friday and read the instructions Friday night over a beer. The instructions are not great, but if you have any mechanical ability at all it is easy. Installed the electric hoist to the wall and then built the rack. Once I was backed into the garage and ready to give it go it was about 90 minutes later. Then forgot to disco the washer tube and light harness - oops. Then took about 5 mins to balance the top on the hoist perpendicular to the ceiling. The only "issue" is not being able to use the safety stop as the hoist is wall mounted close the pulley set up. I was out the door and off to my sons football scrimmage in just over 2 hours.

I would recommend this despite it being sort of pricey.
I had my electrician hook it up for me because I was going to a meeting that day and needed it hooked up. Only thing is that the top doesn't sit flat. It's hanging at an angle. Having done it yourself, any idea why it might hang off-kilter? Thanks. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00338-20110531-2039.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	199883
Old 08-20-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I used some eye hooks and straps. It cost me $20 and works just fine.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

The one you build yourself!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Navyvetnorwich91
I had my electrician hook it up for me because I was going to a meeting that day and needed it hooked up. Only thing is that the top doesn't sit flat. It's hanging at an angle. Having done it yourself, any idea why it might hang off-kilter? Thanks. Attachment 199883
Go back and measure all 4 "wings" of the assembly and make sure they are the same length. If you miss by an inch your top will not sit level. You should also be able to see if the spine of the assembly runs in the center of the top. Finally, the lifting sleeve with the eye hook that attaches to the lifting cable hook can be easily moved fore and aft to ensure you get a level lift. It took me three adjustments to get it just right. Be sure to do it with the top an inch or so off the Jeep, not hanging freely in the air.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by joecarioscia92
I used some eye hooks and straps. It cost me $20 and works just fine.
Can you show us what you came up with? My son might be getting himself a TJ and a manual lift would be easy with a smaller top.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Just do some research and make your own. My friend just made his own set up and said it works great
Old 08-22-2011, 01:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Pilot
Go back and measure all 4 "wings" of the assembly and make sure they are the same length. If you miss by an inch your top will not sit level. You should also be able to see if the spine of the assembly runs in the center of the top. Finally, the lifting sleeve with the eye hook that attaches to the lifting cable hook can be easily moved fore and aft to ensure you get a level lift. It took me three adjustments to get it just right. Be sure to do it with the top an inch or so off the Jeep, not hanging freely in the air.
Thanks very much. I'll check it. Appreciate the info.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jameslee92
Attachment 199269

It's U-shaped, level with the top of the tailgate. The top is carpeted so it doesn't scratch anything and the top slides off easily. The legs are wide enough that I can pull the front of my wifes car under it with a few inches on each side. Let me see if I can find the write up thread on it for you.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...light=hard+top
I went this route and its easier than I thougth to remove the top. I think I'm going to redesign the "table" with hinges at the corners so I can flod it up when not in use.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I went with the harken hoist and am very pleased. My hard top stays suspended above my Jeep in the garage all summer.

Quick Reply: Best Hardtop Hoist System?