JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   best mirror kit? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/best-mirror-kit-23918/)

ChevyM14 12-28-2007 04:14 AM

best mirror kit?

When I get my new jeep, I want to drive it off the lot with the doors off:yup: ! what is the best mirror kit to use? I want to take the doors of alot so I was looking at the Rugged Ridge Mirror Relocation Bracket. I know some one the a TJ and he has this kind of kit, but it is hard to see the letf mirror because It is to far up.

Mark Doiron 12-28-2007 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyM14 (Post 276686)
When I get my new jeep, I want to drive it off the lot with the doors off:yup: ! ...

That sounds like fun. However . . do you have a plan for what are you going to do with the doors while you're headed home? If you have full size, you'll probably need another vehicle with a large cargo area (pick-up would be nice). If you have half doors, perhaps these can fit into the JK. Either way, take plenty of blankets to pad them. I don't think you'd want to get them all scratched up--save that for the trails!

BTW: I have the Mopar mirror relocation bracket. I've gotten used to it, I guess. And, I haven't seen a single answer that is satisfying for a right side mirror--either the mirror can't be seen, or the mirrors vibrate excessively and become little more than a design element.

ChevyM14 12-28-2007 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron (Post 276698)
That sounds like fun. However . . do you have a plan for what are you going to do with the doors while you're headed home?

I am getting a 4 door. will the two front doors fit in the back seet? if not I will just drive them home one at a time from the dearler (it is only about 2mils. and I am going to be driveing around for bout 8 to 15 hours just for fun the day I get it anyway.

wayland1985 12-28-2007 05:59 AM

there are a few write ups for custom made mirrors. I'm not sure how functional they are, but they satisfy the "must have rearview mirror" laws, I guess.

So if you're looking to spend ~$10 as opposed to 60, I'd check out the write up section.

I personally go mirror-less. I haven't had a problem yet. A lot of cops out here are jeepers too it seems, so maybe they know how it is? Or maybe I've just gotten luckyl I wonder how much the fine could be? :thinking:

ChevyM14 12-28-2007 06:50 AM

I plan on going doorless most of the time. my outher jeep (1944 MB) has no door or top 100% (dont have any) of the time and has the windshild down about 80% of the time (any time it is not raining or sonwing (snow herts more then rain). I drive it about 100 mils a week, and would drive it more if it went more then 45MPH. when I first got it I had no mirror (it only came new with one and it was missing), I drove it around for a mouth like that, not a safe way to drive
I dont care about the $$ because I am going to be useing it alot and I want it to work good.

ChevyM14 12-28-2007 08:06 AM

Has anyone tryed the Warrior Products Mirror Relocation Bracket?

berg 12-28-2007 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron (Post 276698)
BTW: I have the Mopar mirror relocation bracket. I've gotten used to it, I guess. And, I haven't seen a single answer that is satisfying for a right side mirror--either the mirror can't be seen, or the mirrors vibrate excessively and become little more than a design element.

With the doors off and the top down, do you really need the right side mirror?

Is there anything on the Jeep that would block your vision if you just quickly turned your head to check your back right side?

Can you buy a left side only relocation bracket?

wayland1985 12-28-2007 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by berg (Post 276881)
With the doors off and the top down, do you really need the right side mirror?

Is there anything on the Jeep that would block your vision if you just quickly turned your head to check your back right side?

Can you buy a left side only relocation bracket?

Maybe by law you need the right mirror? I'm not sure (I know cars in the 70's really only had left side mirrors, but maybe they're grandfathered in?)

I rarely use my right mirror at all. Usually all it takes is another inch or so of head turn to see the whole side of the vehicle. When I have passengers, then I start using the mirrors, so in that respect it may be handy to have.

berg 12-28-2007 08:46 AM

I may be wrong, but, I believe that If you don't have a windsheild mirror, such as some large trucks, then you are required to have the right side mirrors.

You are right about cars of the 70's. For a long time right side mirrors were an option. But then again so were seat belts, airbags ect.

I wouldn't know where to look for the law regarding right side mirrors in NJ.

I'll bet if I called the DMV and asked three different people I'd get three different answers.

wayland1985 12-28-2007 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by N2rock (Post 276893)
Might be a state by state thing?

Texas law
§ 547.602. A motor vehicle, including a motor vehicle used to tow another vehicle, shall be equipped with
a mirror located to reflect to the operator a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet from the rear of the vehicle.

So only one mirror necessary here, which is why I only bought one.

I really wasn't sure what the law is over here in Mass. I think if your vehicle was equipped with two mirrors, you need two (A friend of couldn't get his inspection sticker because of a busted right mirror on his civic a few years back). I guess I'll have to start sifting through the law books!