Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best rivnut/nutsert tool for the money?

Old 09-25-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best rivnut/nutsert tool for the money?

I bought some poison spyder body armor panels and can't decide which rivnut tool to buy. I've seen tools everywhere from $17 harbor freight stuff up to a $160 marson heavy duty tool. What exact tool did you use? How long did it last? How much was it? Would you buy it again? These are 1/4 20 nutserts.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spend the money on the high end IF your going to be doing a lot of them. If its just one project ie skins and such just grab the green one from HF. Ad if it goes on you take it back and get a new one free! I've used I've same green HF tool to install 2 sets of EVO skins and rear corner skins and a few random nutserts here and there. Holds up well if you use it right.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bout a westward from grainger. Bout a 100 bucks and holds up great. Was gonna get a marson but the westward is well worth it.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Super Freak

The Marson tool is the one I have and is EXCELLENT! well worth the $150ish it costs. won't break like the Harbor Freight one I've used.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by highoctane
The Marson tool is the one I have and is EXCELLENT! well worth the $150ish it costs. won't break like the Harbor Freight one I've used.
So I'm buying the beer you bringing the tool to get these things installed? Might be a little bit of a ride from AZ but its for a good cause.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

any body have the part numbers or a link t these tools? i just ordered Poison Spyder Brawler Rockers and need the tool to install them and my rear corner guards.. i don't mind spending the money for a quality tool that makes life easier.. just need to know where to get it and a part number!

thanks

Luke
Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AU Bronc N JK
any body have the part numbers or a link t these tools? i just ordered Poison Spyder Brawler Rockers and need the tool to install them and my rear corner guards.. i don't mind spending the money for a quality tool that makes life easier.. just need to know where to get it and a part number!

thanks

Luke
Marson 325-RN Heavy duty thread setting tool. I found one on amazon and is where I bought mine for $150.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Default And if you are serious.....

Here's what the Pro's use. Although probably a bit more than you want to spend, it will spoil you in its effortless installation of Hexnuts/Rivetnuts

h x x p://www.cardinalcomponents.com/PDF/C302%20Tool%20Manual.pdf

h x x p://www.cardinalcomponents.com/installtools.htm
Old 10-13-2012, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

The pros use Rivet nut tool - Enfasco.com, these nutsert tools, I think it pays to go for a higher quality tool, but thats just me.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't have many to install on my project , about 20 of them. When I saw what they were trying to sell me for my project to install the nutserts , I just made my own . I don't even know what a pro tool looks like for this , but I took the right sized bolt for the nutserts and a nut, removed the threads from the inside of the nut , took a dremel tool and cut a crosshatch pattern on the nut so the nutserts wouldn't spin , and used it. It worked perfect , except I did use a couple of nuts with the crosshatch cut into them to make sure I had a good grip on the nutserts. It was easier than I thought it would be !

Quick Reply: Best rivnut/nutsert tool for the money?