Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best Rubicon Unlimited to buy

Old 02-01-2015, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Rubicon Unlimited to buy

Hi to all, (hope I am posting this in the right forum)

I am looking to buy a Rubicon Unlimited from reading a lot of stuff on the internet. What would be in your judgement the best year to buy.
I own a 2012 Charger SRT8 that I use only in the summer which is 5 months in these parts. I always wanted a Jeep and now I am ready to buy one.
Chose Rubicon unlimited for the 4 doors and Dana's 44, would like to lift it 2.5" to 3" to begin with 33's or 35's
I will use it for off-road and in the summer also, but mostly in the winter
Budget is like the model "Unlimited".

Which year would you buy personally and why ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

2012 and up so you'll get the 3.6 motor. But if your budget is "unlimited" why not get a brand new one?
Old 02-01-2015, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stubicon
2012 and up so you'll get the 3.6 motor. But if your budget is "unlimited" why not get a brand new one?
Agreed. 2012 and up have the better engine. 2012 models have the potential for the headache of the head issue, so I would stay away from them if I could. By the time you buy a 2013 or 2014 you are at almost the same money as a brand new one, unless you find a sweet deal on one. I would either buy new or be patient until I found someone desperate to sell a 13 or 14.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NEW is a good choice. Wranglers don't depreciate as much as other vehicles, plus they get modified. Some of the mods are great others get turned into Frankenjeeps

If you know how to shop you can find deals.

Example. http://www.dodgechryslerjeepofkirkla...WA/vd/24561678

This dealership has solid prices on their internet specials. Note in most cases you need to add $1500 (see fine print), but sill they are really good prices

I started tracking prices of these guys internet specials and then worked something comparable in my area.

Worst case, I was ready for a one way plane ticket and a road trip in needed
Old 02-01-2015, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys,

So up to now 2013 and up due to 2012 engine head problems.

I would not buy new due to the high lost of value in the first year and I can invest the difference on mods.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do some research. Unless you pay cash or find a very good deal, the difference may not be as much as you think by the time you finance a new one at a lower rate than a used one.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ben3361
Thanks guys, So up to now 2013 and up due to 2012 engine head problems. I would not buy new due to the high lost of value in the first year and I can invest the difference on mods.

If you look at that deal I sent you, I challenge you to find a 1 year old Rubi at much less than that price. seems like most guys trying to sell them paid MSRP. MSRP IS FOR SUCKERS
Old 02-01-2015, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WHT_JKUR
If you look at that deal I sent you, I challenge you to find a 1 year old Rubi at much less than that price. seems like most guys trying to sell them paid MSRP. MSRP IS FOR SUCKERS
I am in Eastern Canada and with our weak dollar right now it is not worth flying and picking it up. Thanks for the link though.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ben3361
I am in Eastern Canada and with our weak dollar right now it is not worth flying and picking it up. Thanks for the link though.
Makes sense.. My point was more take that pricing and use it as a point of consideration when negotiating.

Dealers seem to hold firm, but they can be "flexible" on the pricing to move inventory. I worked a very similar price in AZ. But I threw the dealer a bone by financing it so he made money selling the loan. I asked him how long he needed me to keep loan (so dealership got paid) and then I paid it off after that window. Win win

Quick Reply: Best Rubicon Unlimited to buy