Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bestop Trailcover?

Old 05-05-2008, 06:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bestop Trailcover?

I have looked at it and have seen slits for the mirrors but it looks like they are for the mirrors mounted on the doors. It states in the guide online that it fits stock non modified jeeps. It might not fit with modifications. What I need to know before I order one (in the near future) is will it fit if your mirrors are mounted to the windshield bolts. I have a DIY mirror but I know there is Mopar relocation brackets that place the mirrors where I mounted mine. Does anyone know if it will fit? There is no use getting it if it will gap anyway I might as well go with a $10 blue tarp and bungees.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by only_in_my_jeep
I have looked at it and have seen slits for the mirrors ...
Slits for the mirrors? I bought mine last year and it has no such slits. When I install it, I have the Mopar relocation mirror on the driver's side, which is out from under the trail cover.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have looked at it and have seen slits for the mirrors but it looks like they are for the mirrors mounted on the doors. It states in the guide online that it fits stock non modified jeeps. It might not fit with modifications. What I need to know before I order one (in the near future) is will it fit if your mirrors are mounted to the windshield bolts. I have a DIY mirror but I know there is Mopar relocation brackets that place the mirrors where I mounted mine. Does anyone know if it will fit? There is no use getting it if it will gap anyway I might as well go with a $10 blue tarp and bungees.
Honestly I would recommend you go with the blue tarp and bungee solution. I bought the Bestop cover last year...it does work with mirrors mounted on the windshield, but I think the cover is more trouble than it's worth. It looks nice, but it fits very tightly - so tightly that it's hard to get on, and it just barely covers the door openings completely - I have to stretch it as tight as it will go, and I'm always afraid I'll rip the straps out tightening them that much. It's also very hard to get the back part of the cover on over the folded down soft top because I have a security trunk (another Bestop product) that causes the soft top to sit about 1.5 inches higher than stock when folded down. I think if I had a do-over, I would either go with the $10 blue tarp, or maybe a generic SUV-sized cover that would fit loosely over the whole Jeep. The Besttop cover is a nice idea, but I think it would be better if they made it just a little bit bigger.

Other people have it and love it, so take my opinion for what it's worth. It will work with your mirrors.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by undertow119
Honestly I would recommend you go with the blue tarp and bungee solution. I bought the Bestop cover last year...it does work with mirrors mounted on the windshield, but I think the cover is more trouble than it's worth. It looks nice, but it fits very tightly - so tightly that it's hard to get on, and it just barely covers the door openings completely - I have to stretch it as tight as it will go, and I'm always afraid I'll rip the straps out tightening them that much. It's also very hard to get the back part of the cover on over the folded down soft top because I have a security trunk (another Bestop product) that causes the soft top to sit about 1.5 inches higher than stock when folded down. I think if I had a do-over, I would either go with the $10 blue tarp, or maybe a generic SUV-sized cover that would fit loosely over the whole Jeep. The Besttop cover is a nice idea, but I think it would be better if they made it just a little bit bigger.

Other people have it and love it, so take my opinion for what it's worth. It will work with your mirrors.
Thanks for the info. I don't have the softtop problem just a safari on it. I do leave it out at night under my improvised carport (one of those easy set up 10X10 canopies) however it still gets dew on the inside of the front window and underneath the safari here recently. I also want something for this summer when we go to the beach and such as usually we get a 3:00pm-5:00pm shower every day (or at least every other).
Old 05-06-2008, 06:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Slits for the mirrors? I bought mine last year and it has no such slits. When I install it, I have the Mopar relocation mirror on the driver's side, which is out from under the trail cover.
I looked like it from the illustration.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For where you have your mirrors mounted the best top and the Mopar cover may present a problem.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

... It looks nice, but it fits very tightly - so tightly that it's hard to get on, and it just barely covers the door openings completely ...
I use mine without a top or doors and it fits okay, perhaps even a bit loose. That said, by the front of the door frames is barely covered (about 1/2 to 1"), yet I've never had a leak despite very heavy rains and winds (this is Oklahoma). It also survived the hail storm that severely dented my hood and has my house now leaking like a sieve. So, I think if your configuration matches mine, the Bestop trail cover is a good answer. If you leave other accouterments on the vehicle (mirrors, tops, etc), it might not be so good.

Oh, I should add: The top does fill with water. You can get plenty of water in the Jeep if you're not careful to drain this before loosening the sides completely.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I don't have the softtop problem just a safari on it. I do leave it out at night under my improvised carport (one of those easy set up 10X10 canopies) however it still gets dew on the inside of the front window and underneath the safari here recently. I also want something for this summer when we go to the beach and such as usually we get a 3:00pm-5:00pm shower every day (or at least every other).
You'll probably be ok then. The fit should be be much better without the folded soft top under it. It is a nice cover, I just wish mine was about 2 inches longer on the sides and maybe 3 inches longer in the back...

And just to reiterate, since someone else here said the mirrors would be a problem (I can only assume that person was just looking at the illustration and guessing, since in real life the cover doesn't even touch that part of the windshield)...the cover will fit just fine with your mirrors on. It will wrap around the mirror and cover the door openings completely, as long as you stretach it far enough to cover all the way to the bottom of the opening.

Oh, mine is a 4-door (not sure what you have), so the fit might be different on a 2-door ...
Old 05-06-2008, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just wish mine was about 2 inches longer
Shyeah, don't we all.....

...sorry. Been a long day.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the smittybilt cover myself, simply because I wanted to make it would fit with my doors, my soft top down and my cloverfiled roll sitting on top of it. Pics here https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...118#post523118

Quick Reply: Bestop Trailcover?