Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Matching factory paint?

Old 05-08-2008, 11:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Matching factory paint?

I've painted some interior parts using Kryon Fusion For Plastics. It's not a perfect match, but good enough for where it is.

Now I'm going to paint another area and it needs to match exactly. Where can I get detonator yellow that is an exact match without going to a dealership?
Old 05-09-2008, 06:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the paint code and goto any local auto body supply store.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkkat
Cool, but how do I find the paint code?
Thanks.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint code

you can google "paint codes". I did the same thing when I did my some parts on my bike....just keep in mind who ever mixes it may not get it exact either. But yellow should be pretty straight forward since there isnt any pearl or anything in it.

Im also shure the dealer would give you the paint code.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just checked it out. It is on the sticker in the driver door.

FYI: The paint code for detonator yellow is PYB
Old 05-09-2008, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

On your next rrip through walmart stop at the paint touch up section. I think that little booklet will have the correct touch up code for your vehicle. I seriously doubt they would have anything bigger than the little brush, but I believe the codes are the same. Once you get the code, any local auto body shop should be able to hook you up. Of course I could be wrong. Stranger things have happened today.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkkat
This is where you need to go. Look in the phone book for your local body shops and start calling around to see who can help you out. They'll mix it up and you'll have enough to do what you want to with it. Good Luck.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default touchup 101

Originally Posted by OlegFl
Does anyone know the correct way to use the little brush to touch up body scratched (deep ones). I tried it but it never comes out descent.
Oleg don't use the little brush. get a pack of paper matches, tear one off and use the torn end. Works much better than the brushes, touch up a little at a time.'' build up'' the touchup by multiple applications, be aware that metallics will always show the touchups, pastel colors take touchups much more neatly. Work the color down into the scratch initially, then when you have the scratch about filled up then let the paint go to the edge of the scratch. Remember your results will be better a little at a time, dry, then continue. Wipe level with your fingertip. any excess can be cleaned off with polish later.

Quick Reply: Matching factory paint?