Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buying slightly used JK, gear ratio matter much?

Old 05-27-2018, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying slightly used JK, gear ratio matter much?

I know the differences have been talked about extensively.
I am buying a non-rubicon. Should i stress very much over the gear ratio? I'd prefer the 3.73, but they are very hard to find. Is it worth losing sleep over if i have to settle for 3.21?
It will be a daily driver with light off road use occasionally. I might put larger tires on.
I'd prefer a 6 speed over Automatic, but again, hard to find. I'd settle with a post 2012 automatic.
Thanks
Old 05-27-2018, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well. I'll chime in with it is a very big investment and that you shouldn't settle for anything less than you want. If you want 3.73 get them. Of course gears can be upgraded later and you may need to if you go up in tire size.

The big thing you mentioned was manual vs auto. If you want the manual don't settle for the auto cause you really can't change that down the road.

Bottom line is be patient and don't settle. Get what you want and you will be happier driving it.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:58 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Depending on size of tires you're thinking.....3.73 are likely to not really be enough anyhow. I wouldn't worry about gearing at all at purchase, and just budget ~$1500 to regear to what you'd REALLY need at the appropriate time. If you factor in the cost of a regear in to a purchase price, it's really not that big of a deal......and if it's a vehicle you'll have for a long time, it is well worth it. I would focus more on mileage, engine, body, and overall condition.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I would say that 3.21 is ok if you don't go with bigger tires. The first mile you drive after getting bigger tires with 3.21 you will ask yourself wtf did I just do? So, either hold out for 3.73 or budget the regear. However, based on what I've read on here, I think regearing from 3.21 to something higher will cost you more than $1500. I'm thinking more like $2000.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can get away with 3.21 and a manual as long as you don't go too big on the tires. But if you go steel wheels and bumpers and add a bunch of weight you may have to regear later. Not so much with an auto.

Quick Reply: Buying slightly used JK, gear ratio matter much?