JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Camo tops for JKs (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/camo-tops-jks-280601/)

wreckedFJC 07-15-2013 07:55 PM

Camo tops for JKs

Check this out, camo tops for JKs

Rock and Road Soft Tops: Definitely Not the Original by Andrew Keller — Kickstarter

Fugg it 07-15-2013 09:01 PM

Man that video and those ridiculous designs killed what could be a decent product. I mean destroyed it. The prints on those are the ugliest things I've ever seen. Minus maybe the camo for military use or hunting applications. Jeep owners are predominantly function over fashion and they missed it big time

If they wanted any sort of buy in, they should have done solid colors or matched to paint schemes..., Damn.

wreckedFJC 07-15-2013 09:14 PM

I think a topo top or plaid would be cool.

Cjsmith4 07-15-2013 09:26 PM

Not a huge fan of anything they had in the video but I think this could go over well with different designs or as stated before, just solid colors. Even with a solid color though, I think a soft top would look odd if matched to the jeep.

I would never buy one but different strokes for different folks.

wreckedFJC 07-16-2013 04:24 AM

solids seem simple, and I agree color matched (like the hard tops) just doesn't look right to me.

I just want a choice other than black.

As for fuggits comment.... as for function over style I call bs. If that we're the case there wouldn't be so many choices of rock rails,bumpers, trail skins, or other aftermarket products.

Fugg it 07-16-2013 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by wreckedFJC (Post 3618701)
solids seem simple, and I agree color matched (like the hard tops) just doesn't look right to me.

I just want a choice other than black.

As for fuggits comment.... as for function over style I call bs. If that we're the case there wouldn't be so many choices of rock rails,bumpers, trail skins, or other aftermarket products.

You call bs cause you just admitted your the one pitching it in another thread lol. Sorry I was just being honest and thought you were another member who was sharing something they found on the internet. It's an interesting idea, I just don't think people will buy enough of them to be worth it

RedRockJeeper 07-16-2013 10:45 PM

Personally I think the camo ones have possibilities(especially since I just bought a commando green JKUR, however the other prints I am not so sure of. I don't know if color matching would work either unless you did it in a plaid design with black, or maybe white. Perhaps a custom option to match paint graphics? Next consideration would be cost, and I have a feeling its gonna be steep.

chaz14_9 07-17-2013 07:24 AM

Yeah I don't like it either. When the side window was being attached the material looked really thin and the fit wasn't very good. As far as the designs not my cup of tea.

Good luck though.

jk.bushwacker 07-17-2013 07:40 AM

just looks so wrong... try OD green or something. why camo ur rig anyways? don't u wanna find it later? :rotflmao2: its not like you can go on a safari hunt in ur jeep nowadays (unless you live in Africa)

Davep22 07-17-2013 09:02 AM

Personally I think custom color or print tops are a great idea. As someone stated before, different strokes for different folks - so obviously not everyone is going to love them, but I love the idea of someone being innovative and offerring something that's otherwise been unavailable.

I can't promise I'd be lining up to buy one, but certainly think there is a market for them.

I'll be interested to see what happens with these!

Dynamo 07-17-2013 11:40 AM

I'd like to see some more traditional designs being demonstrated. I agree that the material looks quite soft, based on the video.

wreckedFJC 07-17-2013 04:56 PM

Keep up the feed back we really appreciate it.

The material in the video is only a single ply used for mockup. Not the actual material that will be used in production.

As you all know every Jeeper has different tastes. One design may resonate well with some and be completely off for others.

We are taking notes on every bit of feedback we get. When we get off the ground we will be able to use all of this knowledge to create tops that appeal to more people.

thank you all and keep it coming

wreckedFJC 07-21-2013 08:22 PM

New reward added on Kickstarter. Our premium tops in OD Green!

Because so many wanted a subtle yet different top option.

Thank you all for your input so far and if you want to see something else let us know!

- Andrew

wreckedFJC 07-21-2013 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dynamo (Post 3620277)
I'd like to see some more traditional designs being demonstrated. I agree that the material looks quite soft, based on the video.

The material used in the video and pictures was for a visual only (mockup). Our production material is a three ply and much thicker.

shockwaveaz 07-21-2013 09:27 PM

http://img.pandawhale.com/3352-Stop-...happ-D2L5.jpeg

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

yeahbuddy 07-21-2013 10:44 PM

I'll give you some feedback.

1. I like the desert camo and military look. OD was a good choice. Flat Dark Earth would be cool too.
2. One problem is that some colors of Jeeps wouldn't look right. For example, I have a silver JK, so black is the best color for a top, IMO.
3. I'm not crazy about no side windows. It looks cool, but I should probably be able to see out.
4. I think this would have to be much less expensive than other options for people to consider it.

Hope that helps you out. Good luck.

Fugg it 07-23-2013 08:34 AM

I like the OD green solid idea. The pledge amounts and ideas are pretty good too and while the 4 door is pricey, its not way out of the park in terms of a custom softop. My question is if there is a guarantee we even get anything for our pledge amount if it never comes to fruition? I've never used kick starter before so I apologize

wreckedFJC 07-23-2013 03:05 PM

A quick run down on the Kickstarter project.

When you make a pledge you are not charged. There is an agreement that if the project is FULLY FUNDED then you will be charged your pledge amount.

On my side of things: Each pledge has a corresponding reward. If we are FULLY FUNDED we receive the funds that were pledged and we can do what we say we can do per our project and delivery dates. If we are fully funded and for any reason we can not deliver on our promise we are required to refund the backers their full pledge amount.

My team has been working in consumer goods and have delivered multimillion dollar orders on time and under budget. We plan for as many things as we can but there may still be surprises.

We have run the projections and with the funding set where it is we will be able to deliver our product early next year. (barring acts of nature on the high seas)

We had a slight delay on our website launch as I had to travel unexpectedly.

We will have our site up by next week which will have more detail about who we are and what we want to do.

feel free to PM me with any questions.
Also note that we will become a vendor here when we start production on our tops.

vincejeep1 07-25-2013 05:50 AM

I wold bu a red top to match my flame red jeep.

catahoula 07-25-2013 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by wreckedFJC (Post 3626561)
We have run the projections and with the funding set where it is we will be able to deliver our product early next year. (barring acts of nature on the high seas)

Just curious are these manufactured here or overseas? I do like the idea. I know they are prototype and would like to see the final product. I have a 2011 2 dr silver JK and would be willing to sport one of your tops here on the east coast for you for free. A silver camo top would be nice on mine. One of those would look sweet on Dynamo's green rig as well! If you are interested pm me and i'll give you my contact and shipping address.:thumbsup:

wreckedFJC 07-26-2013 11:22 PM

We will have manufacturing set up both overseas and here in the states.

holmes4x4 07-26-2013 11:43 PM

Think it is an awesome idea also I think some traditional camo would be cool too like the desert bdu , regular bdu, Coyote tan, and a tinted window option I would defiantly be interested. This is a great idea and good luck to them I love to see companies like this make it.

holmes4x4 07-26-2013 11:46 PM

Also what about making bikini tops in these styles I think that would be an even more popular thing to sell in the same style options I said above. Little different concept but you are still working with custom styled JK tops so to speak.

wreckedFJC 07-27-2013 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by holmes4x4 (Post 3629994)
Think it is an awesome idea also I think some traditional camo would be cool too like the desert bdu , regular bdu, Coyote tan, and a tinted window option I would defiantly be interested. This is a great idea and good luck to them I love to see companies like this make it.

We were looking at all of those options and then decided we wanted to be a little bolder out of the gate.

The prototypes are just a starting visual.
All of our tops will have the tinted vinyl windows... another member mentioned having mesh windows with zippered insides (like tents) we may look into that but I foresee leaking complaints.

We wanted to go big with the full tops we are planing to release the summer top equivalents May 2014.

Then a frameless version, and if there is enough interest we will start going backwards for older model wranglers and CJs.

wreckedFJC 07-31-2013 12:08 PM

The input has been great so far.

Our plan as technology advances is to be able to create one off tops for individuals. The current materials and products are extremely pricy to do this, we are pushing some of the development of printing techniques and materials to lower cost for this.

We have developed a few processes and special material specific to our applications.

As we all know there are 3 types of wrangler owners, off road people, modified people, and those who just like the wrangler for what it is.

At Rock+Road we are planing on having several different styles and patterns for everyone.
And at the point it is feasible cost-wise, one off custom tops for those that want them.

Unlike the other tops available currently we have developed our material to meet our needs. Other soft tops are made from purchased material from 2-3 major textile manufactures. Not that there is anything wrong with that. They make some great automotive/outdoor fabric... it just doesn't work for us.

So if you like our idea and you want to support us and see our product/your product on the shelves or on your Jeep donate to our Kickstarter and spread the word.

- Andy Keller