Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Can you lift a leased jeep?

Old 04-07-2016, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you lift a leased jeep?

So I Leased my 16 wrangler, but I'm looking to to lift it, change the bumpers and fenders is that allowed. I figured I'd ask you guys before I call the dealership
Old 04-07-2016, 03:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd do it, just keep all your stock components.

Truthfully if you want to run 33s, just get some wheel spacers and maybe a budget boost. Everything stock is still on there. While still gaining height and running a larger tire.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

I have 33x18's on it now rub is very minimum only when I lock the wheel out. I'm trying to get a little lift nothing crazy like 2-3".
Old 04-07-2016, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

This is all spelled out for you in your lease agreement which you had to sign.

I haven't read your lease agreement but the general guidelines are that the vehicle must be returned with all original equipment and anything that is damaged or missing outside of normal wear and tear, you will be charged the costs of the replacement parts and the repair costs to bring the vehicle back to the original equipment condition. Often they will charge you for any body damage as well such as dings, dents and scratches.

So once you put a lift on it and then plan to take it off road, you might want to consider how you're going to avoid damage that would fall into the outside of normal wear and tear category.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want to mod a Jeep, I suggest you buy one rather than lease one.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
This is all spelled out for you in your lease agreement which you had to sign. I haven't read your lease agreement but the general guidelines are that the vehicle must be returned with all original equipment and anything that is damaged or missing outside of normal wear and tear, you will be charged the costs of the replacement parts and the repair costs to bring the vehicle back to the original equipment condition. Often they will charge you for any body damage as well such as dings, dents and scratches. So once you put a lift on it and then plan to take it off road, you might want to consider how you're going to avoid damage that would fall into the outside of normal wear and tear category.
I plan on buying it out right after, this was my first car I ever bought brand new and according to them I have no credit history for being 23 so I could only lease a car unless if I wanted to have. 900$ payment, but thanks I'll check that out
Old 04-07-2016, 04:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

He's just trying to help you out. Leases are great if you want to always drive a vehicle less than three years old. But the cost of that is you always have a payment. To some that is worth it, to others not so much. Lease turn ins, and I only speak from what I've been told as I've never leased a vehicle for longer than a weekend, are where they beat you up and try to make the extra bucks. Making it easy for them is not the best offensive.

If this is the only way you could get yourself in a new vehicle then that's fine. Build your credit and in 3 years, then build your rig. The other alternative, besides buying used, is as sa stated, keep the stock parts and put them back on before the lease turn in inspection. Then the parts you take off can be used on your next Jeep or this one if you are in a position and have the desire to buy it at the end of the lease.

Just my opinion, and you know what those are worth.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
He's just trying to help you out. Leases are great if you want to always drive a vehicle less than three years old. But the cost of that is you always have a payment. To some that is worth it, to others not so much. Lease turn ins, and I only speak from what I've been told as I've never leased a vehicle for longer than a weekend, are where they beat you up and try to make the extra bucks. Making it easy for them is not the best offensive. If this is the only way you could get yourself in a new vehicle then that's fine. Build your credit and in 3 years, then build your rig. The other alternative, besides buying used, is as sa stated, keep the stock parts and put them back on before the lease turn in inspection. Then the parts you take off can be used on your next Jeep or this one if you are in a position and have the desire to buy it at the end of the lease. Just my opinion, and you know what those are worth.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off rude or disrespectful guys sorry again about that. I had an 89 jeep as my first car loved it so I went for another jeep. I think I may take your advice do some light mods and keep the stock parts in the shed just Incase I decide to turn it back in. I live at the jersey shore so there's no need for crazy mods it's just the beach to go fishing and hitting minor trails
Old 04-07-2016, 05:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hell, if you ARE buying it just put a lift on it then.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by catahoula
Hell, if you ARE buying it just put a lift on it then.
Also to that point, read the buy-out cost in your lease agreement as well. A lot of leases are structured where it often makes it very unattractive for you to buy the car once the lease term is up. For example, it is often the case where it would cost you much more to purchase your own lease vehicle, than to turn around and buy exactly the same used vehicle on the lot.

BTW....Congratulations on the new Jeep. You'll love it!!!

However, I hope your experience with a lease is much better than mine. I leased 2 vehicles when I was younger also. Both weren't very good experiences for me because I seem to drive a lot and can't forecast how much I'll be driving 2-3 years in the future. I tend to drive between 20-25K miles/year. My 1st lease was a 3 year 12K mile/year lease. I put just over 60K miles on it and it ended up costing me close to $5K to turn it in for over mileage fees. My next lease, I went with a 5 year 15K mile/year lease agreement. I had 60K miles on it after 3 years, and gave it to my wife who rarely drives for the next 2 years while I went out and purchase a used vehicle and continued to pay the lease as well. I didn't get the over mileage fees that time, but paid for a car I didn't drive for 2 years.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-09-2016 at 04:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Can you lift a leased jeep?