Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Catch cans

Old 01-22-2019, 06:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Heater core filter? Coolant filter? Never heard of those. What are they?
Old 01-22-2019, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
Heater core filter? Coolant filter? Never heard of those. What are they?

It's a coolant filter housing. It's used for problems such as with our JK's heater cores getting blocked up with casting sand due to FCA's piss poor engine manufacturing process which leaves casting sand in the block, which eventually flows through the coolant system and gets trapped inside the heater core.

Here's Mishimoto's latest elaborate offering in regards coolant system filters to help combat that problem.

However, when I look at that device, I don't see a reason it couldn't be used as an oil catch can setup as well, since it has all the basic requirements to meet an oil catch can application. The basic requirements for an oil catch can are an inlet, an outlet and that the air/gas/oil coming out of your PCV valve doesn't have a straight passage back to the intake manifold, but instead the combined air/gas/oil coming out of the PCV hits an obstruction. That obstruction causes the oil to stop in its tracks and then drips down the side of the obstruction and fall into a "catch can", while the air continues on its merry way to the intake manifold. So I can envision fastening an old oil filter onto that device will work well as the catch can and it will be simple to empty it by just using one hand to unscrew the oil filter/catch can.

So my current thought is that I buy one of these and set it up as an oil catch can to see how well it works for that application. If it doesn't work, then I use it for its intended use of a coolant filter but if it does work, then I purchase another one and use it as a coolant filter. For less that $100 I should have a pretty nice oil catch can and coolant filter setup with minimal effort of installing them but with the added flexibility of mounting them in locations which best suits my preferences.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-22-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Love it. Doing it.

Quick Reply: Catch cans