JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Chrysler denying rear differential claim (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/chrysler-denying-rear-differential-claim-349422/)

BDHICKEYTX 02-21-2019 01:11 PM

Chrysler denying rear differential claim

I have a 2014 JKU with 70K miles. I changed the rear-diff fluid this weekend and found metal in the fluid. The rear bearings came apart and caused the gears to fail.
I have a full powertrain warranty through FCA. The inspector came out and is denying the claim due to "missuse and abuse of the vehicle."

Any suggestions on how to get them to fix this?

jadmt 02-21-2019 01:18 PM

are there signs of misuse and abuse? big tires and/or lift? most be something to the story.

BDHICKEYTX 02-21-2019 01:25 PM

I have 33's from a 2019 JLU on it, and a 2.5 inch leveling kit.

That's it.

jadmt 02-21-2019 01:50 PM

I would call jeep customer care and become a squeeky wheel. It should be covered based on that. 2014's have 5/100000 drive train warranty.

BDHICKEYTX 02-21-2019 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 4336704)
I would call jeep customer care and become a squeeky wheel. It should be covered based on that. 2014's have 5/100000 drive train warranty.

They are denying under the powertrain. All they said was "miss use and abuse of the vehicle" The tech said it should be covered, and the service manager agreed in principle. He is going to call them and ask for proof and justification. Their estimate $3,300.00.

akguy09 02-27-2019 12:15 PM

how often and and by whom was the differential serviced?

resharp001 02-28-2019 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by akguy09 (Post 4337046)
how often and and by whom was the differential serviced?

Not pertinent to this thread, but when I see your posts "Ellicott" always catches my eye. My dad was a pastor at the Methodist church in your town a few years back.

jdinny 02-28-2019 08:41 AM

It's just amazing how times change!
I hope people are paying attention to how bad FCA treats it's loyal customers.
With the crazy increase in prices and the terrible customer support, people need to start buying other vehicles.

Flash back to the early '80's. I took a job in a Jeep/AMC dealer as a service writer. Part of my job was to handle the warranty claims. In my initial meeting for the job, the service manager and the owner of the dealership spoke. The owners instructions were, to make sure every valuable customers warranty claims were handled with speed and authority, and unless there were indications of blatant abuse, make sure every claim was approved. Imagine that! The local 4 wheeling club also met at the dealership on Wednesday nights, and the owner of the dealership, wheeled with us in his own CJ.
Times sure have changed, haven't they!!!

caryt 03-01-2019 06:29 AM

Thats insane, $3300 for gears and bearings. You could do all plus a arb for less.

smiller 03-01-2019 01:43 PM

I think they are required to specify how they determined that the failure was caused by abuse, i.e. low lubricant level, bent housing, external damage from strikes, etc. Merely having a 2" lift and 33's isn't enough just by itself. Unless of course they automatically consider any deviation from stock as automatic 'abuse', but I've never heard of that being a policy.