Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

D Ring Shackles and rusting

Old 01-11-2018, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by robchorz
Mine are powder coated as well, but not the threads. That is where the oxidation/rusting occurs.
Apparently thread powder coating cost more. You'll have to pay extra for that and get the good ones like my $8-$10 HF shackles.

In all seriousness, I'm actually pretty impressed with the nice powder coating on the HF shackles.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
... Maybe it's not a good practice to use a strap this way? I kind of figured I'm also almost doubling the strength of the strap connecting this way, therefore having a double benefit....no paint scrape and doubling strength of strap. Seems like a win/win.

You're putting pressure on the strap in a way for which it was not designed. I sure wouldn't do that just because the consequences of a failure could be injury or even death. Since you're that concerned about scratching up the shackles, I'd recommend some synthetic winch line ones such as these ...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...waAvzqEALw_wcB
Old 02-02-2018, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up $7.83 Good Deal on forged 3/4" 9.5K lb D-Ring shackle w/isolator

Home Depot s3/4" shackle w/isolator pads $7.83

If rusting is a concern, you can pay more for hot-dipped galvanized shackles and keep the threads greased. Also the other suggestions posted above work (powder coat, paint, protective film sprays, etc). As far as theft that's a hard one. You can crank down the screw bolts with wrench and discourage casual thieves but determined ones will steal them.

We just keep our shackles and straps in a winch tool bag and avoid the theft and weathering/rusting. We also sometimes put the shackles on, on prior to trail runs, to be ready to assist or be assisted. Additionally Jeep club members often mount and then drape their pre-configured straps over the rear mounted spare for a quick tug (to give or receive).

Didn't believe this was worthy of a new post on its own - - - but saw these plated shackles at the Home Depot home center that included red shackle isolators/pads for $7.83 each, the price you typically see bare 3/4 inch shackles or a pair of isolator/pads going for alone... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-...4535/206967330
Old 02-05-2018, 12:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's an excellent deal, and no shipping charge if they have them in stock at the local Home Depot. Good looking out!
Old 02-05-2018, 09:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by mr72
That's an excellent deal, and no shipping charge if they have them in stock at the local Home Depot. Good looking out!
Home Depot typically stocks 6-8 units on the shelf. I wasn't thrilled to pay about $7 with shipping for some shackle pads alone a while back. This is a good price.

And for those who only got one D-ring shackle in their more recent Mopar/Warn "Jeep Trail Rated Kit" that comes with new Jeeps (unless someone at the Dealership copped it) here's a chance to get a 2nd shackle, always better two than one. The earlier Jeep Trail Rated Kits included two shackles. This video explains the kit you should have received with your new Jeep....

Quick Reply: D Ring Shackles and rusting