Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealer Just Can't Get it Right

Old 12-13-2018, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Here's a guess from a keyboard 2000 miles away: The "new" master cylinder is bad, or they forgot to fill and bleed it on the bench before installation. The latter will introduce much air, making it take a lot more brake fluid and time to get all the air out.
This sounds like a good suspicion.

Reading through this makes me feel like an master mechanic. When I installed the Mopar BBK on my JK, I replaced all 4 calipers, all 4 rotors, the front brake lines, MC, Fluid reservoir, Booster, brake fluid and all brake pads. Essentially, the only thing I didn't replace in the braking system was the ABS module and rear brake line hoses and the actual brake foot lever. This was the 1st time I ever bench bled and replaced a MC, replaced a booster and bled the system by myself on a vehicle ever. The difference is that when I was done, I had a firm brake pedal and great working brakes and used a $20 Harbor Freight hand vacuum pump for bleeding. Someone explain to me why I would ever go to a dealership again for service?

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that they forgot to tighten the caliper brake bleeder screws.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-13-2018 at 05:02 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Here's a guess from a keyboard 2000 miles away: The "new" master cylinder is bad, or they forgot to fill and bleed it on the bench before installation. The latter will introduce much air, making it take a lot more brake fluid and time to get all the air out.
Ah... I think we have a winner... bench bleeding... a must.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jedg
Ah... I think we have a winner... bench bleeding... a must.
Only problem is that the mushy pedal was present before they replaced the MC, where the dealership replaced the MC as a suspect it was the cause of the original mushy pedal.

My bet is that when they originally bled the brakes which was needed due to the caliper replacements, they let the brake fluid reservoir go empty when performing the bleed and therefore sucked in air and then topped off the reservoir afterwards or someone forgot to tighten a caliper bleeder valve screw.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-13-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Good point.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:13 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

And what sounds strange is that Rocco wrote yesterday that they are replacing both front calipers again. Unless those calipers are pissing out brake fluid, how does a caliper itself cause a mushy pedal? Outside of the supernatural, the only answer I can think of is air inside -- and that's not the calipers fault...

They may claim the front calipers fixed it, but it will be something else they did if it's really fixed. Looking forward to Rocco's next update!

Edit: A caliper with a high point internal cavity that trapped air which could not be bled by the bleeder screw could do it. That's one I'd have to see pics to believe. Right after I say something absolute I'll allways come up with an exception -- Damn, did it again.

Last edited by Mr.T; 12-13-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

And what sounds strange is that Rocco wrote yesterday that they are replacing both front calipers again. Unless those calipers are pissing out brake fluid, how does a caliper itself cause a mushy pedal? Outside of the supernatural, the only answer I can think of is air inside -- and that's not the calipers fault...

They may claim the front calipers fixed it, but it will be something else they did if it's really fixed. Looking forward to Rocco's next update!

Edit: A caliper with a high point internal cavity that trapped air which could not be bled by the bleeder screw could do it. That's one I'd have to see pics to believe. Right after I say something absolute I'll allways come up with an exception -- Damn, did it again.
Yep, I kind of got the feeling they're randomly throwing parts at the problem at this point and it's likely something very simple someone did incorrectly in bleeding the system originally.

I think we're all on the same page that mushy pedal=air in the system. What amazes me is that RoccoV got the call in the 1st place that it was ready to be picked up and he was the one who had to apply the brake pedal and point out the mushy pedal. How does anyone do any kind of brake job and not push on the brake pedal to realize if it's squishy or not?
Old 12-16-2018, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok still no JOY, Jeep still not home. The engineer wants them to do some road exercises. Drive it to different speeds and brake down to certain speeds to seat the brakes? WTF!!! Couldn't do it Friday because of weather and they didn't want to take a chance in case something wasn't right. Imagine that, they didn't want to drive in the rain but they wanted to give it back to me 2 times the way it is right now.
Had the meeting with all of them Thursday and everyone is frustrated, especially me because it's my Jeep. The GM tried to apologize numerous times.
I did write to Jeep on the owners site and they sent me a reference number in a email and basically said they understand why I was writing to them and asked for the dealership name and location, my contact info and that they would be in touch soon.
Oh the shop foreman likes my Jeep and said something about buying it. To which I said the only person buying my Jeep would be Mr. Kirkalnd the GM if they can't get it fixed. As I looked at him he said that could be an option of last resort.
Problem is I don't want to sell I want it FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by RoccoV; 12-17-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts

Suggest you get back in contact with JEEP Owner relations.. REQUEST, politely & firmly, that JEEP send out the FCA Technical Advisor to advise and oversee dealer repair attempt NOW. Obviously the technicians at the dealership NEED Instruction and guidance. FYI.. the dealership I use did a caliper replace and complete fluid flush as the JKU is 5 years old 63k miles when they found a seal in the caliper leaking (which I replaced 9 months earlier in my driveway) it was a pleasant surprise as the parts warranty handled the caliper. Proud of my dealership!!!
Old 12-18-2018, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advice. The Jeep Star engineers have started working with the dealership since Monday and have had them change the MC again. I'm going to chat with the customer care site right now and ask why I haven't heard from them yet since it has been 5 days after receiving my Case number and see what they have done.
I have always thought and have voiced to them that is has to be air in the line some how. From day 2 when all they changed was rotors, pads and CALIPERS and bleed and flushed the system it hasn't been right. Which they say they changed the calipers again. I think they bleed the system and let the MC go dry and suck air. But they supposedly bleed the system numerous times now and have used over 5 gallons with all the bleeding. It's sucking air from some where!!!
Old 12-18-2018, 06:55 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by RoccoV
But they supposedly bleed the system numerous times now and have used over 5 gallons with all the bleeding.
You're driving around one of their new JL's this whole time right?

Quick Reply: Dealer Just Can't Get it Right