Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealership problems.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership problems.

I bought a 2013 Sahara Unlimited 4 months ago and took it into the dealership to get a complimentary oil change done. 5 minutes after I left the dealership my oil pressure light popped up on the dash. Halfway home my check engine light came on. Once I got home I checked the oil and it was bone dry. Apparently they didn't add any oil after draining it?! All of my seals were snug and there was no evidence of any leaks. I had a quart at the house and added that, drove to the dealership first thing the next day and on my way in the electronic stability control light came on. The service techs swore they put oil in it after draining it (obvious lie), but they filled it up and reset all of the warning lights and sent me on my way. Today my check engine light and ESC light came back on. I basically drove 75 miles without any oil in the engine thanks to them.

I would like to know what y'all think I need to do as far as making demands from the dealer. It's 4 months old, and I'm pretty sure the engine is somewhat compromised from what happened.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Get them to give you a year of free oil.. And change it yourself.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Dude I would demand a new jeep...you're lucky your jeep didn't blow up on your way home. I'm actually really surprised that it didn't.

There is no way your engine isn't screwed up from that. How do you forget to put oil in a vehicle after you do an oil change??
Old 09-25-2013, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should probally check with a lawyer before making any decisions or settlement with the dealership.

I would not settle for any less than new engine, rental vehicle during replacement, and compensation for the loss of value to your vehicle. ($2-5k).
Old 09-25-2013, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think you have major problems compounded by driving back to the dealer after putting only 1 quart of oil in a bone dry engine.
I would try for an even trade for a new Jeep or contact a lawyer.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think you can do anything from a legal standpoint beyond documenting the incident and making sure your complaint is typed out on a repair order. You aren't entitled to any damages if you can't prove any damage exists. Your damage is currently "assumed" and carries no legal weight. Your best hope at this time is raising a stink at the dealer and hoping they will do something out of just good customer service.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by URGaryWithNoR
The service techs swore they put oil in it after draining it (obvious lie), but they filled it up and reset all of the warning lights and sent me on my way. Today my check engine light and ESC light came back on.
Originally Posted by HardRooster
Your damage is currently "assumed" and carries no legal weight.

Sounds like he has more than assumed damage, as the check engine and ESC lights came back on.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you should have driven back to the dealership as soon as the light came on.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

What I should have done is drive it until it exploded on me and sued the crap out of them. Should I go talk to them and see if they're willing to work with me or just get a lawyer first?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

The dealer filled it with oil, after you got home you drained it and clamed "foul" so you could take advantage of a great and honest jeep dealer.

Never, I repeat NEVER leave the lube place without checking the oil first.

I can't believe you dumped 1 quart in and then drove it back. Seriously your as much at flault as the dealer

Quick Reply: Dealership problems.