JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Death from Jeep rollover on Rubicon (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/death-jeep-rollover-rubicon-246947/)

Wendy.Jeepchick 09-06-2012 07:55 AM

Death from Jeep rollover on Rubicon

A woman who's Jeep rolled over multiple times after veering off the Rubicon Trail has died from burns over 90% of her body. Here's a link to an article regarding the accident:

Accident Burns Rachel Gray, 21, of El Dorado Hills & Delays Jeepers Jamboree. Rachel Anne Gray Dies from Injuries | In El Dorado County

This is just a sobering reminder that what we do out on the trail is potentially very dangerous. Every precaution should be made to ensure that our rigs are in top condition, we are fully aware of our surroundings and are educated on the actual capabilities of our individual Jeeps.

jdk 09-06-2012 08:17 AM

Prayers and condolences to her family

Jaysrubi 09-06-2012 08:18 AM

This is very sad to read. My prayers go out to her family and friends!!! Be safe everyone!!!

Wendy.Jeepchick 09-06-2012 03:43 PM

Bumpity, bump, bump.

SWAMP RAT 09-06-2012 04:15 PM

Very very sad....

bushpilot 09-06-2012 04:51 PM

SAD !

https://www.facebook.com/RAGEFoundation

Wendy.Jeepchick 09-07-2012 12:02 PM

Thank you for posting the FB page. I hadn't seen that. I didn't know her, just heard about the story. Looked like she was so full of life. She probably lit up every room when she was around. Very very sad.

Wonder if they're going to have a Jeep convoy in her memory.

Stuka 09-07-2012 07:17 PM

A friend that was on the trail told me about this.

Really sorry to hear about this, its very saddening.

Wendy.Jeepchick 09-08-2012 09:38 AM

Does anyone know what really happened? Driver error or Jeep malfunction?

nvertflyer 09-08-2012 12:02 PM

i have personally seen 3 rollovers in the past couple of months...please be careful out there guys and pick your lines carefully...it really is tragic to see some one lose there life due to something avoidable...my prayers go out to her family...

Stuka 09-08-2012 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wendy.Jeepchick (Post 3199872)
Does anyone know what really happened? Driver error or Jeep malfunction?

I have not heard anything concrete from somebody that was actually there to see it.

JamesWyatt 09-08-2012 12:46 PM

Sounds like no seat belts and not wheeling with a group. Terrible terrible tragedy. Wheeling isn't the safest thing in the world - a moment of distraction on the edge of a cliff, and it's over. Jeepers have been killed by falling rocks and no fault of their own, so no matter the precautions, we all take a risk when we leave the pavement.

mrlobaloba 09-08-2012 01:30 PM

Very very sad, my condolences to her family and friends

Firelyle 09-08-2012 03:24 PM

Very, very sad to hear...prayers to her family.

Stuka 09-09-2012 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by JamesWyatt (Post 3200047)
Sounds like no seat belts and not wheeling with a group. Terrible terrible tragedy. Wheeling isn't the safest thing in the world - a moment of distraction on the edge of a cliff, and it's over. Jeepers have been killed by falling rocks and no fault of their own, so no matter the precautions, we all take a risk when we leave the pavement.

This was during the Jeepers Jamboree. There was close to 300 Jeeps on the trail. And there are trail helpers every 50ft or so. It was certainly not due to those reasons.

Mgimelli 09-09-2012 09:06 AM

I was there and this very sad indeed. Here is what I know

1. It was sat evening and Rachel Grey and two passengers went up Cadillac hill. I believe to take some photos of the sunset.
2. There where no rock rollers on the trail thus no trail help.
3. It was an early 60's flat fender jeep. She was waring her set belt and rolled with the jeep down the hill and was trapped inside. Other passengers where thrown out with minor injuries.
4. Jeep caught fire and started 6-7 acre forest fire.
5. Trail was closed and no jeeps could leave till Monday morning.
6. She was life flighted to UC Davis burn unit with 75% burns to here body. Given a low chance of survival.
7. She passed away on 9/1. My condolence to her family and friends. For a young life lost.

Riznoy 09-09-2012 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Stuka

This was during the Jeepers Jamboree. There was close to 300 Jeeps on the trail. And there are trail helpers every 50ft or so. It was certainly not due to those reasons.

If you kept reading the article, she wasn't part of the jamboree, she just happened to be there the same time, she was there alone. She was on Cadillac hill and the jamboree was at rubicon springs.

Sharkey 09-09-2012 10:04 AM

Very sad indeed.

Mojeaux 09-10-2012 04:52 AM

I just wanted to give this another 'bump'. This was a sad and horrible accident with a very unfortunate ending. In any attempt at solace, hopefully this story will be kept in the minds of Jeepers in an effort to be more cautious when leaving the pavement. Many things can go wrong on the trails, and we all need to take precautions. My thoughts and sympathies go out to her family and friends.

chknkatsu 09-10-2012 02:44 PM

it's sad and unfortunate to hear about injuries or deaths caused by our hobbies. my prayer goes out to her family. makes me think twice about lines i take on the trails:naw:

alex.m.marti 09-11-2012 07:18 AM

What i see that everyone I leaving out is that her and the two passengers in the jeep were all drunk on the trail when this occurred.

Sharkey 09-11-2012 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by alex.m.marti
What i see that everyone I leaving out is that her and the two passengers in the jeep were all drunk on the trail when this occurred.

I certainly hope you have some support for a statement like that. I have yet to read anything saying they had been drinking.

Mgimelli 09-11-2012 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by alex.m.marti (Post 3203619)

I have never heard any thing about alcohol or being drunk. I was there and have been following the story pretty close.

Mgimelli 09-11-2012 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkey (Post 3203625)
I certainly hope you have some support for a statement like that. I have yet to read anything saying they had been drinking.

I agree. can you support that statement?

alex.m.marti 09-11-2012 07:39 AM

I do my father and a good friend of his were at the jeepers jamboree during this incident. It's left out of the news reports because of the tragedy that it is but is the key factor of the whole rollover

alex.m.marti 09-11-2012 07:44 AM

Not trying to cause any problems or tarnish anyone's names by my comment just want to point out that on the trail is not the place to be drinking, because of examples such as this.

renzo1200 09-11-2012 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by alex.m.marti (Post 3203637)
I do my father and a good friend of his were at the jeepers jamboree during this incident. It's left out of the news reports because of the tragedy that it is but is the key factor of the whole rollover

Pure conjecture. The article again stated she wasn't part of the Jamboree.

Provide some real evidence and until then keep your rumors to yourself.

Mgimelli 09-11-2012 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by renzo1200 (Post 3203810)
Pure conjecture. The article again stated she wasn't part of the Jamboree.

Provide some real evidence and until then keep your rumors to yourself.

I do believe she was part of the Jamboree. I know for a fact that is was the Jamboree support that got her out.

here is an article that was forwarded to me.

Woman Suffers 3rd Degree Burns After Jeep Catches Fire At Jeepers Jamboree « CBS Sacramento

and another

Sacto 9-1-1: Jeep Jamboree accident leaves woman in critical condition

WIRubi 09-11-2012 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mgimelli

I do believe she was part of the Jamboree. I know for a fact that is was the Jamboree support that got her out.

here is an article that was forwarded to me.

Woman Suffers 3rd Degree Burns After Jeep Catches Fire At Jeepers Jamboree « CBS Sacramento

and another

Sacto 9-1-1: Jeep Jamboree accident leaves woman in critical condition

This is a very sad story. I was on the rubicon about 2 weeks prior to this happening and Cadillac hill scared the crap out of me and it was the only place I felt the need to winch. That being said, and believe me I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong or right, but we had planned our trip on the dates we went because of the jamboree. I was told that the trail is closed to the public for this event. So not sure if someone not apart of the jamboree could still get on the trail. I have no clue how it works so I very well could be wrong.

Mgimelli 09-11-2012 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by olsonn

This is a very sad story. I was on the rubicon about 2 weeks prior to this happening and Cadillac hill scared the crap out of me and it was the only place I felt the need to winch. That being said, and believe me I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong or right, but we had planned our trip on the dates we went because of the jamboree. I was told that the trail is closed to the public for this event. So not sure if someone not apart of the jamboree could still get on the trail. I have no clue how it works so I very well could be wrong.

Yes we had to have a sticker to be on the trail.

JKR 09-11-2012 05:12 PM

It is very unfortunate what happened. I showed my kids this picture and told them a little about what had happened. They noticed she wasn't wearing a seat belt. And now they understand why I get on to them about wearing a seat belt.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...41292649_n.jpg

Link to more info to donate

The Rachel Anne Gray Foundation | Facebook

JamesWyatt 09-11-2012 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Stuka

From the original article posted by the OP:

Attendees of the Jeepers Jamboree said that Rachel Gray was not part of the event but was traveling though independently.

The Jeepers Jamboree guests and staff were in a safe environment in the Rubicon Springs. The Rubicon Trail, a County Road, was closed at the commonly known spot of Cadillac Hill.

JKConvert 09-14-2012 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by alex.m.marti

I have heard the same from first hand witnesses. The leaking fuel tank or cans made it worse.

carolinajk 09-14-2012 08:14 PM

kinda hope its true that she was drunk , maybe she didnt hurt as bad , effed up deal for sure , in any case such a waste of a young life . weve all done shit we shouldnt have at one time or another

SiliconTi 09-15-2012 04:29 AM

I'm torn about this story. It is sad. It is tragic. It could have been so easily avoided.