Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Decline of JK forum

Old 02-08-2018, 06:13 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I think it's picked up a little bit here in the last couple weeks. It was literally dead for several weeks before Christmas, and even following.....like just 2 or 3 new threads a day if even that kinda slow. Just unusual in general.

I will say, this holiday season was pretty disappointing/discouraging. Felt like the sponsors really just moved on past the JK with all sights on the JL. There is no getting around the fact that holiday giveaways this year were down like 90% in quantity, and like 99% in value from last year. I understand it would have been hard to duplicate last year, but still. That said, the last giveaway for $1400+ cooler package from Northridge got 8 or 9 replies heading in the the final day and a half. I mean, I was getting excited about my chances! Nobody pays attention. It took having to send a blanket email out for people to wake up and realize there was something worthwhile. Even then, there wasn't near the amount of entries as there should have been. Something over $1k should easily get 100 entries IMO. I had pretty mixed feelings cuz I know if people aren't staying involved, sponsors aren't going to provide things like that....but at the same time I feel a bit jilted, cuz I'm paying attention, I'm active, and if others don't see that crap then their tough luck...LOL.

I think I realized a really big drop off of some big regulars around the time the app was killed. It was very noticeable. All the sudden a lot of regulars went radio silent. Unfortunately I feel like it was a lot of the more heavily modified people, and they helped round out that sliver of this forum. Kinda stunk for me cuz those are the folks I'd pick up tidbits or ideas from myself just in the process of poking around the boards. I think a lot of people are just so heavily weighted to mobile these days, and things like this are just harder on mobile. I will say that 95% of my forum time is still PC based as I have downtime at work and whatnot.

Maybe everyone is just too bogged down with social media.....
Old 02-09-2018, 02:36 AM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well even though I've offered a number of my own personal forum upgrade suggestions, All I've seen out of those suggestions is that "we'll look into it" attitude. Facebook must us subliminal messages to draw and keep you there, which I don't see. Plus I think a lot of members could be leaving because moderation staff here and other sites aren't routinely checking forum topics for flames etc. and those who leave are simply tired of the bs.

I want to learn by making mistakes but not be rimed out by someone else because of this. I feel bad enough knowing a mistake was made so I don;t need to hear it from others and thats why our build would never be posted online. There's something called constructive criticism. use it wisely or be ignored.

heh what kills me, is after posting that we've purchased something, we get replies to the effect that "oh you don't want to use that product" simply because it's not what they would see us use or it's not mainstream. The fact is, we've already purchase the item and there's no going back.

Last edited by TrailBadger; 02-09-2018 at 02:39 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The killing of the app reduced my activity a great deal. I'm rarely at a desktop. 40 and under rarely sit at a desktop unless they are at work.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleBJK
The killing of the app reduced my activity a great deal. I'm rarely at a desktop. 40 and under rarely sit at a desktop unless they are at work.
I will agree with this. Many people are on the go, and the app is just so much easier and faster to navigate. The GarageTalk app works fine, but I think a lot of people preferred the stand alone app.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:01 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
So, I was going to provide in the post above a specific example of the clutch master cylinder replacement write-up, but I noticed that all of the images are missing. Decided to post a link to the album on FB, where those images are hosted, rather than edit all 14 image links. Except I get this error, which makes it ludicrous to try to post a write-up for anything but the simplest jobs.
Sorry for the late reply, I've never seen that limit before and it might be associated with some recent software changes. I'll followup here after talking to IB. You can upload the pics to your album (100 pic limit) then place them in your post via the new up loader.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/foru...-album-345183/

Bob

Bob
Old 02-12-2018, 04:37 AM
Former Member

Seeing How I would defiantly have more than 100 pic uploads, I'm glad I'm not uploading any more here. So thanks for the information speedlimit
Old 09-06-2018, 12:47 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Well, I don't venture to the other main "JK" forum all that often, but I was searching around this week preparing for my Dynatrac BJ rebuild. It's really disheartening to see all the names that used to be active over here are all still very active over there. This site is on it's last breath. I'll still say it dropped when the app was killed. Have always liked this site the best, but dang.....there's like a handful of new posts a week.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Could definitely use an app. I'm never at a desktop that I use for personal stuff. Posting and browsing is always from my iPhone or iPad and the website is not mobile friendly!
Old 09-06-2018, 04:49 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey guys,

There is a default mobile template that works very well for most users. When you log in from mobile it should be presented as the default. Thanks.

Bob
Old 09-06-2018, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I use the garage talk app. Don't know if it's only for iPhone, but here's a link

Garage Talk by Internet Brands, Inc.https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gara...964719306?mt=8

I don't know what app was killed but this is the only app I've ever used. Works great for me.

Quick Reply: Decline of JK forum