Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Determining Private Sale Value???

Old 06-04-2018, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Determining Private Sale Value???

So I've been seriously thinking about selling my 2013 Dune 4 door. It's just about to hit 45k. I have the itch for buying a truck and buying a 2 door JK and building that before putting more money into my current build. I think I have a fair starting point in my head and some people think I'm high (generally they are the people who say aftermarket parts have no value, I call BS on that.), some think I'm right on point and I'll get close to what I want

2013 JKU Sport Dune
44,783 miles
Automatic
-Superduty swap (SD60 and Sterling 10.5)
-highsteer setup
-5.13's with ARB's front and rear
-Adams front and rear 1350's
-3 linked Aluminum Long Arms Front and Rear
-Ballistic front and rear diff covers.
-RK front and Clayton rear trackbars
-evo front coilovers with 3.5" RK springs with 1/2" spacers. Sits nice around 4"

-(5) 40" Toyo's on (5) BattleBattle4x4 beadlocks
-Tapped Steering box with 1.75 PSC ram
-Crawler Conceptz Front and Rear bumpers
-Crawler Conceptz Rock Sliders
-Crawler Conceptz Tire Carrier
-Evo builder corners
-Rubicon Express oil pan skid
-Rubicon Express trans skid
-Poison Spyder HD crossmember
-winch
-Kenwood Navi headunit
-streetglow headlight upgrade
-Softtop and cut hardtop Safari Style
-powerlocks will come with it. Just need to be installed.
rear cargo area cover
Alien gear shade
​​​​​​there are probably other parts I'm forgetting or that can be thrown in.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:56 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

You're build has gone past the basic modded jeep that most are selling. I think it's probably going to be more of finding the right buyer that understands the build and the value in the mods, and who plans to use it accordingly. For most people out there who don't understand, they probably shouldn't be buying it anyhow as they'd be in over their head. Your potential pool of buyers is probably just going to be a bit smaller. JK resale values are redonk high. Nothing wrong with listing it higher and seeing if you can get any nibbles. You can always drop the price. In the end, it's worth what someone is willing to pay.....just need the right someone. What did you have in mind? I didn't see a figure.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
You're build has gone past the basic modded jeep that most are selling. I think it's probably going to be more of finding the right buyer that understands the build and the value in the mods, and who plans to use it accordingly. For most people out there who don't understand, they probably shouldn't be buying it anyhow as they'd be in over their head. Your potential pool of buyers is probably just going to be a bit smaller. JK resale values are redonk high. Nothing wrong with listing it higher and seeing if you can get any nibbles. You can always drop the price. In the end, it's worth what someone is willing to pay.....just need the right someone. What did you have in mind? I didn't see a figure.
I figured my buying pool is gonna be smaller bc of the build. I know it's going to be little game of patience for finding someone. I think you hit the nail right on the head when you said some who understands the build. I truly believe that is going to be my biggest problem. I was honestly thinking about starting at the $45k price mark and going from there for a street legal-ish 4 door turn-key 1 ton JKU that can get you from the grocery store to the trails. Just need to do some clean up work before I put it up.

I would also be willing to trade for an earlier 2 door Rubicon JK and some cash.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Why don't you get a 2 door sport and swap the parts from the 4 door over to it and put the 4 door back to stock as much as you can? You would be far better off money wise in the end and make it much easier to sell the 4 door.
Its a jeep on 40's and tons but done cheap with lower quality components, things people that know what they are looking at would be turned off by. Cheap winch, steel bead locks, 10.5 rear, incomplete steering, bolt on coil overs. Don't get me wrong it got you where you wanted to be but with a KBB of $25 for a 2013 sport you are asking $20K for upgrades most people don't want and more importantly can't finance. I think you would be lucky to see $30k for it the way it is. You best bet is to find a 16 year old with a rich dad that loves it and must have it. Start trolling the rich area high schools with a for sale sign in it and cross your fingers.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Why don't you get a 2 door sport and swap the parts from the 4 door over to it and put the 4 door back to stock as much as you can? You would be far better off money wise in the end and make it much easier to sell the 4 door.
Its a jeep on 40's and tons but done cheap with lower quality components, things people that know what they are looking at would be turned off by. Cheap winch, steel bead locks, 10.5 rear, incomplete steering, bolt on coil overs. Don't get me wrong it got you where you wanted to be but with a KBB of $25 for a 2013 sport you are asking $20K for upgrades most people don't want and more importantly can't finance. I think you would be lucky to see $30k for it the way it is. You best bet is to find a 16 year old with a rich dad that loves it and must have it. Start trolling the rich area high schools with a for sale sign in it and cross your fingers.
​​​​​​Don't take this as combative bc I'm always up for advice and getting educated on things....

What is wrong with the Sterling?
It's Yukon gears, ARB Locker with Artec truss and tone rings. I don't get how that is cheap. I thought it was a pretty solid axle.

What's Incomplete about the steering? Bc it's a tapped box instead of a PSC or AGR? Bc it's not full hydro?

The bolt on coilovers. Yeah... You got me there. I thought I was doing something awesome when I did them with the PR44 so they stayed with the 1 ton swap. Better than regular coils but nothing to write home about.

Beadlocks- yeah they are on the cheaper end however they have handled 2 trips this year and drive fine down the road. Better than not having beadlocks but they aren't Methods, KMC, Raceline or Hutchinsons.

The winch isnt a Warn but it's not a smittybilt or harbor freight. I can see where you're going calling it a cheap winch but at least it has synthetic rope and it's not crazy balls heavy.

I really do appreciate the criticism but I just don't get all of it. You seem pretty knowledgeable from your post and I'm interested in your response.

$45k was really just a high starting point that I would never expect to get but you know whatever number I put would obviously be negotiated down. I have an unrealistic ($45-42.5k), I'd be super happy ($42-39k)and a I'll take it number in my head ($39-37k).

Last edited by Jkbroc; 06-05-2018 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Forgot a few words
Old 06-05-2018, 02:58 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

ported factory box, factory pump, res. Not as refined as other complete steering kits. I have driven all kinds of steering kits and it makes a difference. 10.5 offset creates clearance issues with fuel tank. Depending on year bearing and pinion nut issues. Just not a popular axle to use, why not do 14 bolt if doing a low pinion axle?

Not trying to tear your build down its just when you look at a short cut hear, cheaper route there it makes you wander about the build when the price is so high. I may be completely wrong but what I have seen over the years is you get very little back when you go extreme. Even if you had pro rocks, forged methods, and a double throw down kit on it at $45 would still be a stretch in my opinion and from what I have seen on selling built rigs. Financing is the big deal brakes with 95% of the country not being able to get ahold of $500 for an emergency the number of people that have the cash to lay down on such a rig is just so few and people that want a built rig on 40's can do so for much cheaper set up just like they want it. Its a nice rig built how you want it and that works for you. Putting back a stock suspension and axles makes sense and will help you sell it way faster and have those components available for your new build so you don't have to spend the money on those things again or are you looking at a very mild build on the 2 door?
Old 06-05-2018, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
ported factory box, factory pump, res. Not as refined as other complete steering kits. I have driven all kinds of steering kits and it makes a difference. 10.5 offset creates clearance issues with fuel tank. Depending on year bearing and pinion nut issues. Just not a popular axle to use, why not do 14 bolt if doing a low pinion axle?

Not trying to tear your build down its just when you look at a short cut hear, cheaper route there it makes you wander about the build when the price is so high. I may be completely wrong but what I have seen over the years is you get very little back when you go extreme. Even if you had pro rocks, forged methods, and a double throw down kit on it at $45 would still be a stretch in my opinion and from what I have seen on selling built rigs. Financing is the big deal brakes with 95% of the country not being able to get ahold of $500 for an emergency the number of people that have the cash to lay down on such a rig is just so few and people that want a built rig on 40's can do so for much cheaper set up just like they want it. Its a nice rig built how you want it and that works for you. Putting back a stock suspension and axles makes sense and will help you sell it way faster and have those components available for your new build so you don't have to spend the money on those things again or are you looking at a very mild build on the 2 door?
I got ya on the steering. It's steers pretty wheel but does have some low end lag.

Regarding the Sterling rear. My 2005 F250 frame had too much rot it so I sold the truck and kept the axles. Between pushing the rear back slightly over 2" , using a 1350 pinion flange and a few love taps from a BFH it flexes every which way to Sunday without touching the gas tank. Not that it would much value I would add a 05 TJ tank in with the sale if someone ever wanted to triangulate the rear.

As far as the 2 door it would be my toy. Play with it for a bit while building the axles and take it off the road when they were ready to go. End goal would be hopefully better than this one.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Just a side note. I wasn't hell bent on keeping these axles bc I wanted to shave the sterling and go 5.38's with 43's or 44's. I wasn't sure if keeping the axles just to tear them apart again would be worth it.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:56 AM
JK Newbie

You only have a 4 inch lift with the 40s? How doesnt it rub? i just bought a JKU so fill me in with details lol

Quick Reply: Determining Private Sale Value???