JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Did the JK kill the "Jeep Wave"? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/did-jk-kill-jeep-wave-4579/)

skramer530 03-13-2007 06:01 AM

Did the JK kill the "Jeep Wave"?

I'm serious, folks. I've had the JK for 5 months now, and have gotten less than ten waves returned, and then they are only from CJs, YJs, and TJs. The 2 wheel drive version and 4 door version seems to have brought in a new class of buyer (you know who I mean) that just doesn't "get it."
So for all you new JK owners who visit this site, and for the old jeepers who want to re-learn the hierarchy, please see this link:

http://www.dirtroadmagazine.com/jeepwave/

Come on now, people. By buying a jeep, you have entered into a world of uncomfortable driving, spilling your drinks, freezing your butt off, constant maintenance and upgrading, and occasionally finding yourself 20 miles from home with no top in a downpour. We are a special bunch who can live with this type of vehicle, so show your comradery!!!

wayoflife 03-13-2007 06:04 AM

Man, that's 10 waves more than me. I don't think I've gotten a one since I've been driving in my JK :naw:

RooX 03-13-2007 06:11 AM

HA! shows what you know. Its impossible to freeze your butt off in a jk, what with the rotisserie burners blasting 200 degree air on you :)

Thats what separates us jk owners from the rest of the unwashed jeep masses, its our warm asses! :P

all kidding aside.. i have noticed this too, and its not a good thing. What is even more concerning is the fact that less and less previous model owners are waving at me when i wave at them, which could mean that they are just giving up on us JK'ers.

Although in Calgary i notice a lot (75% mabey) of jeep owners that are not "jeep people", you know the type, with chrome rims and little 215 55R15's, and daddy's girl types that want a cheap convertible.. they have never waved, and i doubt ever will.

Piginajeep 03-13-2007 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by wayoflife (Post 44677)
Man, that's 10 waves more than me. I don't think I've gotten a one since I've been driving in my JK :naw:

Maybe cause its a mini van:rotflmao1:

I still get waves from everyone. I must say it helped out adding the new front bumper with a winch...

HEK 03-13-2007 06:20 AM

uhmmm...I used to be the one to wait for the wave and yes I can agree with you both that the response is not favorable, but now I'm the one waving 1st
and I'm almost at a 100% response .
IMHO unless you're a true Jeep owner ( not every Jeep on the road is owned by those who share the 1st post's statement) there are people who don't want to be in one, like a guy from work that says he hates it (CJ) and can't see how anyone like myself would go out and buy a "new one". He says when he bought his, at the time it was all that he could "qualify" .....:thinking:

:wave:

HappyCurmudgeon 03-13-2007 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Piginajeep (Post 44683)
Maybe cause its a mini van:rotflmao1:

ooh...ohh...

Bactine! Bactine! :rotflmao1:

MJS_Jeep_888 03-13-2007 06:26 AM

The first morning I drove in to work, it must've been a "meant to be" kind of moment, because I encountered a couple TJ's and a YJ on the highway that morning. Got an outright wave from two of them, and a nod of approval from the other. Since then, it's been downhill - I give at least 3 times more waves than I receive.

But, on the other hand, some of the waves seem really enthusiastic (one guy in a TJ was weaving around traffic in the left lane of the main strip in my town, just to pull up alongside and wave - I thought I was about to be Jeep-jacked or something!). :rotflmao1:

I feel your pain - but maybe part of it is karma or something... last week, I got a wave from a Compass, and snubbed them - was that wrong of me? :synister:

Allow me to help lessen the wave deficit: :wave: :standing wave: :wave: :grouphug:

HappyCurmudgeon 03-13-2007 06:32 AM

I wave at everyone that waves at me, I am equal opportunity. :yup:

But be cautioned about waving back at overzealous female wavers whilst the spousal unit is close by. I got smacked for returning that particular wave.:thinking: :sad:

Ge99ne 03-13-2007 06:40 AM

So I read somewhere that the 4 door was outselling the 2 door nearly 4 to one. Or maybe it was what the factory build ratio was. Anyway, I doubt this trend will continue, I think a large portion of the early unlimited purchasers are of the "got married & sold my jeep" variety. These folks know about the jeep wave. The other side of the coin is the JK has become civilized enough for normal people to consider this as their anything but a minivan purchase. Most of these folks wouln't know what a Jeep wave is. Perhaps the wave will die, because the more they refine the jeep the more mainstream it becomes. Lebaron owners didn't have the Lebaron wave, nor cabrio's or sebrings either. :sad:

ksroqclimber 03-13-2007 06:44 AM

This jeep wave thing actually baffles me. Where i grew up (extreme rural western KS) everyone waves at everyone. I moved to a larger city, and still wave to pretty much everyone that i pass (unless on an interstate where i can hardly see the vehicles going the other way let alone see the driver). I used to drive a Blazer. i have gotten the exact same amount of wave backs now with my jeep as i did with the Chevy.

I understand that it is kind of a Jeep owners thing, but I am a nice guy and i like to wave to everyone.

If your feeling down and think your not getting the waves you feel you should be getting, or less waves than you used to. Just take a trip through southwest Kansas. You won't be disappointed.

:wave: