Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Did the JK kill the "Jeep Wave"?

Old 03-13-2007, 09:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is it, i demand that we all band together and file a class action suit against DC. they have obviously not done their part in insuring that all persons purchasing a new Wrangler (well maybe not those 4x2 deals, WTFO were they thinking there) have been properly instructed on ALL of the standard accessories that their new vehicles are equipped with. i also feel that part of this suit should ensure that all Jeeps are from here on out equipped with a Jeep Non Wave Sensor. This senor will automatically detect when another Jeep is in your vicinity thru radio transponders. There will be a video monitoring system that will determine if you have properly performed "The Wave". There will be a series of ever increasing electric shocks thru your seat for every time that you fail to properly perform "The Wave". after 10 failed attempts your seat will automatically eject you, then your Jeep will drive off and find another owner. Who is with me?

Last edited by h20squirter; 03-13-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I get some waves every now and then, but since driving my JK I get about the same amount of people that walk up to me and start talking about the Rubi. It was a little strange at first but now I think it is kinda cool.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

(skramer530) So for all you new JK owners who visit this site, and for the old jeepers who want to re-learn the hierarchy, please see this link:
http://www.dirtroadmagazine.com/jeepwave/
I'm sorry, but that hierarchy stuff is a bunch of crap (In my opinion).
I believe it was writen as a joke myself.
If I see a Jeep, I'm not gonna sit there and pick it apart..."It's not modded so I'm not gonna wave first". "That ones not tall enough to wave at".....Rubbish

If I see someone in a Jeep, I wave to them.
If I don't get a wave back I just think, "Oh well" and that's the extent of it.

I never really noticed it before, but now that I own a Jeep I realize that for CT being such a small state, there are TONS of Jeeps here,
and I'm starting to think that for some of the other folks that own Jeeps around here....Maybe the wave just gets a little old for them after a while,
(Or they just don't know about it).

I don't hold it against anyone that doesn't wave back.
whether they wave or not, I'm just gonna keep on keepin' on.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I wave at everyone that waves at me, I am equal opportunity.

But be cautioned about waving back at overzealous female wavers whilst the spousal unit is close by. I got smacked for returning that particular wave. :sad:
Ohh I remember that.....SMACK!!

Anywho, I think it all depends on the drivers knowledge about the wave. Last summer on a road trip, I was driving my brothers '06 Grand Cherokee on a small road in the middle of nowhere and all of the sudden a TJ come around the corner, stock, no doors. So I wave/nod, and I get a / very enthusiastically. I think, wow, there are still people out there that wave, and to a Grand Cherokee of all jeeps. Of course I wish I had been driving a wrangler, but the fact is that he knew to wave back. Young drivers about my age have not grasped the concept yet. All people need is a little education about it.

I'm looking through a 2004 TJ brochure. It says

"The Jeep Wave is a phenomenon unique to the Jeep brand. The rules are pretty simple: if you see another occupied Jeep vehicle- wave. If wave at, be sure to wave back. Be fearless. It's fun, free and part of being in the Jeep family."
Old 03-13-2007, 11:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I wave no matter what, but sometimes a Jeep pops up out of no where and I get a wave but don't get a chance to wave back.

It's so much of a habit that I forget when I'm in another vehicle and wave sometimes, or I lift my hand a few inches in an attempt to wave, then realizing I'm not in my Jeep, and put it back down.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:21 AM
TEV
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firs jeep I saw after buying mine I got a wave, Iv gotten tons of waves since then, most 4doors iv seen didn't wave.... I have a 2door tho, so who knows.

Maybe other jeepers saw you guys and thought it was a h3.

I kid I kid
Old 03-14-2007, 04:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TEV
Maybe other jeepers saw you guys and thought it was a h3
Speaking of Hummers... lol

Seriously, the first 4-door I saw in person (this would've been in October 06) had me doing a triple-take... I saw it from the side first, and thought it was some sort of new Hummer for sure... but then, as I went around and saw the grill, I finally realized it was a Jeep. What's interesting is that I had been reviewing the JK online for weeks at that point, and knew that the 4-door existed - I had seen plenty of pictures, but still, seeing it in person had me confused . This may be the reason for some difficulty receiving wave-backs in a four-door... despite Jeep's near-constant advertising of the 4-door, a lot of people probably haven't seen too many on the road (present company excluded), and vehicles just look different in person, in 3D, moving, than they do on a page or computer screen.

(Similarly, when I first saw pictures of the FJ Cruiser online and in magazines, I was thinking: wow - neat. Then I saw one in person and it was )

They'll learn eventually though!
Old 03-14-2007, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I will admit that no one with a 4 door up here in Northern MA ever waves... I always wave and get the "Do I know you look" But on the other hand i get a lot from previous models 2003 ect.... mostly guys.. girls never wave or wave back. A few times when driving down the highway, I have caught guys on the other side of the highway throwing out a wave... I would say for every 6 jeeps I see, i probably get 3 waves making my wave ratio a weak 50 % lol
Old 03-14-2007, 04:52 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AZCA jeeper
Ohh I remember that.....SMACK!!

Anywho, I think it all depends on the drivers knowledge about the wave. Last summer on a road trip, I was driving my brothers '06 Grand Cherokee on a small road in the middle of nowhere and all of the sudden a TJ come around the corner, stock, no doors. So I wave/nod, and I get a / very enthusiastically. I think, wow, there are still people out there that wave, and to a Grand Cherokee of all jeeps. Of course I wish I had been driving a wrangler, but the fact is that he knew to wave back. Young drivers about my age have not grasped the concept yet. All people need is a little education about it.

I'm looking through a 2004 TJ brochure. It says
yup, my head is still wobbling like a bobblehead
Old 03-14-2007, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Get about 90% waves when I'm driving the CJ.
Don't have the JK yet , but I'll be waving when I
get it. I live in a town that's big enough to have
a lot of Jeeps but small enough to remember the
ones that don't wave.

Quick Reply: Did the JK kill the "Jeep Wave"?