Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Discount Tire Direct Warranty Question

Old 05-29-2012, 12:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i sprung for it, so hopefully, if I ever need to use it, i'll post in here again to let yall know how it went!
Old 03-18-2018, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I was just about to post a new topic and a Google search led me to this thread.

Today I was replacing my rear brake pads, as well am going to do a 5 wheel rotation while I was at it. After I took one of my rear tires off, I found this nice nail stuck in the tire. I haven't noticed any leaks in this tire and I'm not sure if it's going to leak once I pull the nail out. I haven't inspected the other tires, so not sure if I have any other nails.

This nail got me wondering since I opted to purchase the additional replacement coverage from DTD when I bought my tires from them. After I bought the coverage, I kind of doubted that decision since the cost to cover all 5 tires was about the cost of a replacement tire but this seems like it may be an opportunity for me to use that additional coverage I purchased.

Any thoughts? Would their additional replacement warranty cover a replacement for something like this?

Old 03-18-2018, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

I see soap bubbles, it's definitely leaking air. :(
Old 03-18-2018, 07:57 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
<snip> Any thoughts? Would their additional replacement warranty cover a replacement for something like this? </snip>
A couple years ago I had part of a steel tool in a tire, probably from a construction site near the road. DT replaced it, and somewhere in the conversation we talked about plugging tires. I believe he said they don't plug/repair now because of potential hidden belt damage, liability, etc. I think they'll replace it under that additional warranty.

Last edited by Mr.T; 03-18-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

DTD will ask where the damage is and if you've had it repaired. The nail is in the middle of the tread so it's an easy repair. It doesn't "look" to have gone in at an extreme angle but if it did then it would not be repairable.

Side bar that's related- I picked up a nail on the edge of my 315 ko2's and took them to a local DT store (though I didn't buy the tires there). The shop said they'd fix the tire or if it wasn't repairable (free service at DT stores btw) that they would replace the tire under warranty on location and I'd be back on the road in 30 mins or less. They fixed it and did a road force balance- all free of charge.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

What's the procedure for the warranty return claim? Do I stop at a local DT with my receipt or do I need to contact DTD via phone/email?

I'm not opposed to plugs and it looks simple to repair, but I'm thinking since I paid for this warranty, I might as well use it and get a replacement if it's covered. I'ld be disappointed if they repaired it instead of replacement after paying $40/tire times 5 tires after their hard sell of telling me "If you ever have ANY problem the damaged tire we be replaced."

My ideal situation would be if they shipped me a replacement, and I got to keep this one where I would get it plugged. That way I'ld only have to purchase 4 tires when it's time for new shoes and wouldn't regret purchasing this coverage so much.

As a side note in regards to repairs. I have a Sam's Club membership and they do repairs for free for members. We often shop for groceries at Sams and it's convenient dropping it off to one of their bays, and doing some shopping while they do the work. Aka 2 birds 1 stone.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-20-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

I think I found what I need. It looks like they do have the option for repair. I wish I had known this ahead of time.
https://www.discounttire.com/custome...e/certificates
Old 03-20-2018, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You'll need to contact DTD and let them know you've got a claim. They'll ask for pictures of where it is and that would be where they'd ask you to get it fixed. They'll open the pictures while you're on the phone so there's no phone tag happening.

The guy who answered the phone when I called suggested getting it checked out by a professional shop and if they said they wouldn't plug it then DTD would ship out a replacement tire. The replacement can go 1 of 2 ways. They can ask for the tire back or they will tell you to dispose of it responsibly. I've had cases where they tell me to dispose of it responsibly (sidewall blowout on a Conti). A friend ended up sending a set of 5 37" tires back to DTD under warranty. They'll take care of you, it just may not be how you thought it would go.

FWIW, I'm at 32k miles on my ko2's with wheeling trips and they're at 9/32", down from 15/32" (new). Going off of 5,000 miles per 32nd/inch, I'll probably only keep them another year (20k miles).

Last edited by karls10jk; 03-21-2018 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Added tread depth
Old 03-20-2018, 05:35 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

I've had several tires plugged there.....they'd only replace if it was deemed unsafe to plug. I've also had them totally replace a 35" MT before due to my own stupidity of stabbing the tire with my sway bar when disconnected....causing a big bulge in the sidewall. I just went to the local store and it was no questions asked. I did have to have them order the tires as it wasn't in stock, but two days later brand new tire. Coincidentally, I didn't orginally buy those tires at DT, but they did sell me certificates on em as the tires didn't have 5k miles on them yet when I asked about coverage.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, thanks for all the advise. I'ld prefer a replacement, since I would definitely have buyer's regret since I didn't really need to spend $200 for free plug service which I already have through Sams. If they want the damaged tire that's ok and understandable but obviously my preference would be to keep/repair.

I'll call DTD and see how this all plays out. Mr.Ts point about them not wanting liability by doing a plug repair due to unknown potential damage makes sense. I hope that policy pertains to the additional coverage and not just due to them rather selling you a replacement new tire rather than doing a $10 service repair.

Quick Reply: Discount Tire Direct Warranty Question