JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Do I really want a JK ? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/do-i-really-want-jk-60877/)

Tim Corrigan 11-06-2008 08:21 PM

Do I really want a JK ?

I have been researching a newer vehicle to replace my 1993 Cherokee with 324,180 kilometers on it. Ran well and still does. Could you say this about your JK? Ya no.I went down to the dealer to look at the new jk's and man they do look nice , but have you ever read the posts on this forum ? Crying and bitching about your P O S that won't start , leaks all the time , thin sheet metal , rusty hinges , rattles here and there , stalling , flashing , crappy plastic's ect...I can honestly say that I am unimpressed with the quality of this latest product ..and I'm a jeep man. You bought it now live with it. Jeep has now run its name into the ground and has the worst ratings for any car manufacturer to date but we still love them. They might as well be made in China cause the quality sure reflects it. At least the 04'grand cherokee has some quality in it. Mad Jeeper.:mad:

greenryde 11-06-2008 08:37 PM

It's a jeep thing . You either love'em or hate'em. I have had my jeep for about 2 years now and I still love my JEEP. I haven't had any MAJOR problems other then rusty door hinges (which the dealer replaced) with my JEEP. If you love JEEPS you will love the JK:thumbsup:

Dylanjam77 11-06-2008 08:38 PM

Remember, as said numerous times on this forum...

People are more inclined to gripe about everything on a forum like this as opposed to sing their praises about a vehicle with nothing going wrong with it.

That being said... WOW, sounds like you have already made up your mind so why ask the question? Go buy something else. Sounds like we all will have one less person on here complaining.

Mulewhisperer 11-06-2008 08:56 PM

I have owned 4 vehicles. 84'Jeep Wrangler, 95'Jeep Wrangler, car, 99'Jeep Wrangler. Currently driving a 99TJ Sport that I love but need something bigger. I have yet to experience one leak, one rattle (ok, maybe the 84 and 95, but with over 100k on the odometer I couldnt be happier). I've always had lifts and 33's but have never offroaded (another conversation for another thread). I have been saving my nickels and dimes and cannot wait! I have been trolling this site for what seems like an eternity torturing myself looking at the show and tell thread, modified thread, and have, on occasion, stumbled onto the baby got back thread. Yes, there are people who on occasion get a Jeep that is problematic. I too had my doubts about a JK. I did some looking around and went to other vehicle forums. Same scenario. This is wrong with my mustang, this is wrong with my chevy, my fj crapped out on me today, and so on and so on. I am going to buy a 4 door JK when I get the TJ sold, no questions about that. And then I am going to a 2.5 lift and 35's. Heck, I might even drive off the pavement once! And if something is wrong with it, I will post it here looking for advice from fellow (hopefully soon to be) JK'ers. And if you are still in doubt, do what I do. Take a test drive in the next vehicle you want, and drive past your Jeep dealership and wait for that sinking feeling in your stomach as you pass the JK you have been eyeing. It works everytime.

Tim Corrigan 11-06-2008 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dylanjam77 (Post 778221)
Remember, as said numerous times on this forum...

People are more inclined to gripe about everything on a forum like this as opposed to sing their praises about a vehicle with nothing going wrong with it.

That being said... WOW, sounds like you have already made up your mind so why ask the question? Go buy something else. Sounds like we all will have one less person on here complaining.

Being a prospective buyer and researching all available data on the Jk I have to say that yes I am disappointed wiht the quality coming from Daimler these days. Countless professionals have rated this new jeep and the results...well you know or will experience them and the great customer service reps that daimler employs. If you ever have the chance to drop by one of the many sites for many different makes and models you might find a plethora of happy customers. I'm dissappointed with the new jeep quality.Cutting corners , lackluster materials. Come on . Can't you admit that at least ?

Hellbound13 11-06-2008 09:07 PM

I love my Jeep. I just don't love its problems. Leaky top, rough idle, clunky steering, ect..

This would even be fine if the company I bought this Jeep from would step up and do something about it, but it seems the dealer is unable to fix anything and the warranty is not worth the paper its printed on.

The JK is a lot of fun, but mine has been a huge headache as well. Many will say its a Jeep thing, but I think thats just an excuse. You can have a Jeep and have good build quality too. I thought I was alone but my friend traded his TJ for a JK and also now has a leaking top and clunky steering.

Im sure there are JK that are problem free out there and so you should do what YOU want to do, however I can not say mine is one of those JKs.

Tim Corrigan 11-06-2008 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mulewhisperer (Post 778242)
I have owned 4 vehicles. 84'Jeep Wrangler, 95'Jeep Wrangler, car, 99'Jeep Wrangler. Currently driving a 99TJ Sport that I love but need something bigger. I have yet to experience one leak, one rattle (ok, maybe the 84 and 95, but with over 100k on the odometer I couldnt be happier). I've always had lifts and 33's but have never offroaded (another conversation for another thread). I have been saving my nickels and dimes and cannot wait! I have been trolling this site for what seems like an eternity torturing myself looking at the show and tell thread, modified thread, and have, on occasion, stumbled onto the baby got back thread. Yes, there are people who on occasion get a Jeep that is problematic. I too had my doubts about a JK. I did some looking around and went to other vehicle forums. Same scenario. This is wrong with my mustang, this is wrong with my chevy, my fj crapped out on me today, and so on and so on. I am going to buy a 4 door JK when I get the TJ sold, no questions about that. And then I am going to a 2.5 lift and 35's. Heck, I might even drive off the pavement once! And if something is wrong with it, I will post it here looking for advice from fellow (hopefully soon to be) JK'ers. And if you are still in doubt, do what I do. Take a test drive in the next vehicle you want, and drive past your Jeep dealership and wait for that sinking feeling in your stomach as you pass the JK you have been eyeing. It works everytime.

A tj owner. Now there is a jeep that has a good engine! Nice ride. I do like JK's but the corners that daimler cut were to hard. The plastic's of the new jk scratch so easy , jap thin sheet metal , a mini van engine ? If you like the torque of the tj how do you think you will like the mini-van 3.8 ? Think not just like the majority of new JK owners.They wish they had more power. Maybe I will just wait till 2010 till the new "Phoenix V6 comes out in them)

w.wood jeepster 11-06-2008 09:14 PM

Forums, no matter what they are for, attract people who are going to complain, mine has had no problems at all. That being said most people on this forum like their JK's, so if you are trolling for a negative vibe about them, go somewhere else. Out of the box the JK is the most capable wrangler ever built. If you want an off road vehicle get a JK. If you want a mall crawler, get a something else.

Tim Corrigan 11-06-2008 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hellbound13 (Post 778255)
I love my Jeep. I just don't love its problems. Leaky top, rough idle, clunky steering, ect..

This would even be fine if the company I bought this Jeep from would step up and do something about it, but it seems the dealer is unable to fix anything and the warranty is not worth the paper its printed on.

The JK is a lot of fun, but mine has been a huge headache as well. Many will say its a Jeep thing, but I think thats just an excuse. You can have a Jeep and have good build quality too. I thought I was alone but my friend traded his TJ for a JK and also now has a leaking top and clunky steering.

Im sure there are JK that are problem free out there and so you should do what YOU want to do, however I can not say mine is one of those JKs.

I feel for you really. When someone plunks down 30 large they expect to get something in return not just " Its a Jeep thing ". Quality , Durability , and craftsmanship. This stuff I read scares me cause I could have been an owner.I know they are fun to drive and chick magnets and all that but what good is thats stuff when it's in the shop all the time. I have been researching this vehicle when it was just a concept and now for a year and a bit since they have been out.I can honestly say that the Majority of JK owners are not completely satisfied with their ride.

Dylanjam77 11-06-2008 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Corrigan (Post 778250)
Being a prospective buyer and researching all available data on the Jk I have to say that yes I am disappointed wiht the quality coming from Daimler these days. Countless professionals have rated this new jeep and the results...well you know or will experience them and the great customer service reps that daimler employs. If you ever have the chance to drop by one of the many sites for many different makes and models you might find a plethora of happy customers. I'm dissappointed with the new jeep quality.Cutting corners , lackluster materials. Come on . Can't you admit that at least ?

Yes, I can say there are more than a fair share of people that have had issues with their JK's some large some not such a big deal. However, Jk owners didn't come up with the phrase "It's a Jeep thing" either so can't say this would be the first Wrangler or Jeep for that matter with its quirks and issues. My bigger point by my post was that it certainly sounds like you are very dissapointed and as you put it "mad" at Jeep so again why bother asking your question... Sounds like you already know that you don't want a JK. Go buy one of the vehicles from one of the other forums with all those happy owners.