Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Do some states require fender flares?

Old 12-07-2009, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Berts JK
Anybody know the laws for illinois/ indiana?
I just took mine off and am riding fenderless as of now. Indiana is my local
Old 12-07-2009, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

PA is very strict! My tires stick out about an inch or two...technically that is illegal here, as a matter of fact I have been told by two cops now that they could site me for it, but they let me go with a warning.

Somebody had mentioned before that fenders had to be OEM & thats not true...we are allowed to have wider fenders to cover the tires, & I know several friends that have steel fenders on their TJ's that don't get hasseled too much...
Old 12-07-2009, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

In Arkansas we don't have vehicle inspections.

so if you have a title and can get it licensened. basically you can drive it.

cops don't even bother with jacked up Jeeps/trucks. they 'd be pulling over every 4th vehicle on the road if they did.

I see all kinds of stuff on our roads that isn't legal to be driving and I see these people pass cops all the time without any trouble.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

I live in MD. As long as you pass initial inspection (tire can't be outside fender even by 1/16 inch) you are good. You'll never need to inspect again. But... I literally had to put stock tires back on to pass (with a 3.5 lift) aside from looking like a jackass that day, MD is not bad.. considering PA will ticket you and you need to inspect every year??? Plus a buddy of mine has been ticketed 5 times for no doors.. PA is a communist state as it relates to jeep life.

Quick Reply: Do some states require fender flares?