Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Don't knock Stock

Old 10-24-2010, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add 1 to the stock club. People must make alot more than my respiratory therapy degree pays. Honestly I see alot of people putting cheap lifts on just to get big tires on and hit the trails. If I'm going to end up dropping 12K into it said and done (long arm, 37" tires, wheels, better front axle, gearing) I'm going to do it the RIGHT WAY. I threw a rough country kit on my TJ and it was 100% RuSt in 5 months. A good build is well planned out and the right parts are used.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to be a mostly stock Jeep for likely the next year at least. (At least until tax time) As has been said, I have a plan for where I want to go, and I don't feel like I need to do intermediate steps (like a BB or BL, slightly larger tires...) when it's things I'll end up replacing down the line with my real goal. So I just cruise the forums endlessly, dreaming of a windfall of cash so I can do my build sooner, but being patient until I can actually afford to do it right.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

my mods are mostly cheap or free homemade projects. and as for the actual purchased items, they've been either second hand from forum members or at a reduced price due to sales or member exclusives. oh, and the intake was a gift from my ex right after i bought it. right now i'm set up to run 35's once my stock rubi tires are dead and i'm still running the stock suspension. my jeep is very capable as is and it gets better and better with every little simple upgrade i do. it also stands out and looks completely different than stock even tho it mostly is. read up on the forum and you can learn so much about modifying your jeep for very little. i don't know if my jeep would be considered stock or modded, but i still wave to everybody regardless of the state of their jeep. i love rockin a stocker on the trails tho. the reactions you get are priceless

Last edited by JCKnauer22; 10-24-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only problem with stock jeeps is that a lot of the drivers don't share the jeep experiance. So they don't wave. Once you offroad then people act differently and they wave, say hi, talk about the benefits or drawbacks of this or that feature, etc.

In my neighborhood most stock jeeps are soccer moms that think you are trying to pick up on them. When you see a modifed jeep the driver waves because they probably have been offroad and/or installed the mods themselves and like to check out other jeeps.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Junkie

we never knock stock.in fact we encourage them to come out with us so they can be amazed at what their jeep can do
Old 10-24-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine will remain mostly stock until the tires need to be replaced which will be 4-5 years most likely. I didn't just drop almost $30,000 on something to immediately go beat on it and have to replace things in 1-2 years. I have been on a couple of mild trails the last couple of weekends and it does great with no lift and the stock SRA's. Until I need to spend money on tires I am going to slowly add good armor and other such items so when the tires come I will buy some 33's add a 2" lift and be good for another 4-5 years. I plan on owning my Jeep for 11-12 years and then giving it to my 4 years old son so he has a well taken care of safe first vehicle that will only have about 80,000 miles on it since I average 7-8,000 miles a year.
If all of you think modded is better I will just point out that my completely unmodded all original 1966 Mustang is worth more than a similar year that was bought and abused.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	n1178372385_30143361_3074202..jpg
Views:	57
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	97809  
Old 10-25-2010, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Stock

I rock a stock (Bumper w/ winch only) Rubi & haven't found anyplace I could'nt go with it,yet!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see nothing wrong whatsoever with a stock jeep. I bought mine with the intention of modding it and had parts ordered & on hand before i actually got the thing home. But that is just my personal thing. My coworker has a steel blue that is thorughly yet lovingly abused, and the only thing he ever did was ditch the SRA's & throw on rubi takeoffs.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Trail scratches and mud are both modifications. Jeeps dont come from the dealer with them.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a VERY stock Sahara 4-door. I've modded a bit, but you can't see the mods (disco's, console, cb, etc..). In Bmore, I wave and sometimes get waves back, many times I don't. The modders almost always wave back. I just get "you're trying to pick me up?!" looks from most stockers, if that. Few of them ever wave back--usually only the ones driving beat-up TJ's and rigs that are older than the newest "thing" or "blingmobile." Guess that tells you something..........

Quick Reply: Don't knock Stock