Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dont know what to do??

Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, a diesel would have to be pushing mid fourties before I would consider it. Can't stand the smell. I was sitting beside a big Ford diesel at a traffic signal with the top down and the smell was pretty strong. I wouldn't want to smell my own diesel exhaust every time I'm creeping down a trail. I guess I'm not one of those love the smell of napalm i the morning types.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

The only reason I haven't traded my TJ in is I'm willing to wait.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=CJ2a;935]I mentioned it before I think...

The Euro diesel motors require a low Sulfer fuel and that fuel is not going to be available in the USA until next year.

Maybe this will help with the smell a little. I am not sure, but I think the newer diesels of today are alot quiter and less smelly than those of yesteryear.:confused:
Old 10-04-2006, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rubicon lover
Im stuck between getting the 4 door unlimited today or waiting tell 2008 to get the diesle. This is a major decision?? What do you guys think would be better at saving fuel money, the v6 or the diesle with the even higher gas prices??

Also, are you guys for sure know that there will be a diesle by 2008? Thanks alot

I don't think there will be a large price/mile difference between the gas and diesel models, considering the price difference between gas and diesel.

Another thing to consider is that 2008 probably means the 2009 model year which we will see two years from now. So, you would wait two years to see if the diesel even comes along (I am betting it will).

I am proceeding with my purchase, and will trade-in/sell when the diesel arrives.

Andrew
Old 10-04-2006, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Since I'm happy with my current rubi and it's still under warranty, I will wait for the diesel to come out.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

so your saying the diesle would get around the same mpg as the v6?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what he means is the diesel will get more MPG but the higher cost of the fuel will make up most of the difference. Maybe in future years the cost of diesel will come down?? Supply and demand, cost to manufacture, etc.???
Old 10-05-2006, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would **LOVE** a tough diesel (we tow, and I need the torque!!!) - but there's no way I'm going to wait. Who knows if it will actually happen, or when. Life is too short. If they do bring out a diesel, and it's a buff turbo that can be tweaked, I will spend the money to swap it in. But I think the chances are slim - I'd bet that it be the weak little thing from the Liberty that's tuned more for mileage than for power.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Maybe in future years the cost of diesel will come down?? Supply and demand, cost to manufacture, etc.???
Diesel is finally dropping around where I live, and more and more places are carrying it. Right now, it costs the same thing mid-grade gas does.

And from my understanding, doesn't diesel cost less to refine already? :confused:
Old 10-05-2006, 08:37 PM
JK Newbie

wow....to wait or not to wait.............thats a tuffy, you would defitnetly loose alot of money to trade an '07 or a 08 or drop in the new motor, wow, a full year is a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Quick Reply: Dont know what to do??