Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Switch from CJ7 to JKU

Old 10-10-2013, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switch from CJ7 to JKU

So I have had the same CJ7 since 1991 and just bought a 2010 JKU. Wondering who else has made that kind of switch and what their experience was. The CJ has been great, locked, lifted, 35's and has been all over Colorado, Moab, Rubicon, Barrett Lake etc...works well for sure and of course my kids grew up with it. lol The JKU 4", Rubi axles, 5.38's 35's and a few other goodies. Headed to Moab in a week or two and wondering what to expect.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had several CJ-7s. The last one I owned was a 100% restored 1985 CJ-7. I took the CJ-7 to a dealership that specializes in classic cars, and had them put it on their lot to sell it. They're also a Jeep dealership, and I had purchased a new 2011 JKR that I picked up and drove home after dropping off the CJ-7. It was a 150 mile drive to and from the dealership. At the end of the 150 mile drive in the CJ-7 my voice was hoarse, from having to yell at the top of my voice to be heard above all the wind noise, road noise, engine and gear noise in the CJ-7, in order for my son to hear me in the passenger seat. Forget about using a radio, it was way too noisy to hear that, even if it would have worked. When I got in the JKR to drive home, within a mile on the freeway my son and I looked at each other, and I wispered to him "this is quiet". So the biggest difference to me was how much quieter the new JK was. The CJ actually drove nice, it didn't wander or dart of dive, and had no shimmys or shakes. It felt just as good as the JK in that regard.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the response and I agree the on road comfort is hands down better in the JK especially since it has a hard top vs soft top. I have to admit, I miss the V8 power of the CJ though. I actually always trailered my my CJ if I was going very far. I am curious what to expect off road.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't say that I came as far as you did, from a CJ7 to a JKU. I went from a K5 Blazer to a 2-door JK and the difference was pretty substantial. There really is something to be said for a vehicle where you can literally adjust and maintain everything by hand....
Old 10-11-2013, 04:39 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Not a CJ but a 1945 Willys

Quick Reply: Switch from CJ7 to JKU