Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Driving while disco'd

Old 11-25-2014, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving while disco'd

Is there a reason to not drive on the street disco'd? Obviously there will be more body roll but is there anything else to consider? I only ask because I just installed an Artec HD front track bar bracket. The bracket relocates the sway bay mounting point up an inch. So I need to cut down my sway bar link and re-thread it since it doesn't go any shorter. Until I do that I was thinking of just leaving that link off for now. But then I thought maybe that could put too much stress on the other sway bar link so maybe I should drive with both disconnected. This would just be temporary...maybe a week or two. Any reason this is a bad idea safety wise or breaking something wise?
Old 11-25-2014, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll be fine. Just take it slow
Old 11-25-2014, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Without the body roll control supplied by the front sway bar any sudden steering inputs at high speed could prove fatal after the subsequent loss of vehicle control. Lifting a Jeep amplifies that loss of roll control when disconnected. I once neglected to put my QDs back on when airing back up and realized it once I got back on the pavement, coming down a pass on the freeway at 70mph when I needed to change lanes. I'll never do that again.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I broke both my links crawling 3 hours from home. I drove back on the interstate like normal and didn't really even notice. Wouldn't do it long term but in the interim I would think its ok. Leaving one on should be fine too.

sent from my work leash
Old 11-25-2014, 11:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your guaranteed to kill one person a month... That being said i haven't ran either sway bar for 2 years now. Youll hear a bunch if people bitch wich baffles me as most have lifted there vehicles and put on larger tires and such yet thats ok in there eyes...
Old 11-25-2014, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Maertz
Your guaranteed to kill one person a month... That being said i haven't ran either sway bar for 2 years now. Youll hear a bunch if people bitch wich baffles me as most have lifted there vehicles and put on larger tires and such yet thats ok in there eyes...
Only one? Well crap. If it was more it'd be worth a trip to roll through Ferguson
Old 11-25-2014, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

I drive 85 down the highway back and forth to work every single day. I've had mine off for about a month now. I run my rancho 9000s at the softest setting so I have even more body roll along with a bad track bar bushing and a wallowed out mount and it drives just fine for me. Moral of the story: it's completely do-able and you'll be just fine without them.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was worried about this too. I somehow managed to lose the nut and bolt on one of my sway bar links halfway through the road trip from Houston to Angel Fire, NM. I just disconnected the other link, zip tied the sway bar back, and drove on. Made it to Angel Fire and back to Houston just fine. Just use extra caution around tight turns. Should be fine.

Quick Reply: Driving while disco'd