JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Early model JK reliability (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/early-model-jk-reliability-222728/)

MosquitoTrekker 03-12-2012 06:19 PM

Early model JK reliability

I'm going to be buying a jk in the next month (I'm actually so excited that I'm losing sleep over it) and most likely it'll be an 07 or 08 because those are in my price range. As you might expect the average mileage on those right now is around 60-70k. So, are there any maintenance problems that you've seen creep up that I should be aware of or expect once I get mine?

Edit: Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like overall they're pretty reliable. I don't even have one yet and already love this community. Thanks!

Ryan0260 03-12-2012 06:40 PM

My 07 only has 45k on it. Look around, there are plenty of low mile JK's out there. No problems with mine other than oil consumption. My advice besides the obvious test drive is to park it somewhere and check for any leaks, and check the oil level

SUBIGON 03-12-2012 06:41 PM

I've had my 2008 JKU for 4 years. Only maintenance was oil changes and tire rotation.
It's only got 18 Thousand miles.

XBlacky08X 03-12-2012 07:36 PM

08 JK with 45k and no issues at all

Shortbuss 03-12-2012 08:49 PM

2007 with over 100,000 miles. Been rode hard from birth with 35's. Burns about 1/2l of oil between oil changes. So far so good!

Tonka_yellow 03-12-2012 10:39 PM

I have an 08 with 34kish on it and its great. I also don't consume any oil

Milkman 03-13-2012 02:55 AM

I'm in your boat, there will be a older JK in the garage as soon as I can find a clean one.

I also had an 07 Sahara Unlimited that I custom ordered from the factory. I had the recall/service issues with mine (stalling/paint on hinges missing/check engine light at 18k sensor bad/burned some oil) but I like the JK so much better than the TJ I had I'm willing to deal with a few issues.

I have a friend that just turned 100k on his 2008 Unlimited and other than burning some oil he has just done normal tires, brakes, oil change type service with no issues.

jdk 03-13-2012 03:18 AM

105500k on mine normal maintance, everything still works. The only things I have replaced, waterpump, clutch, two sets of brake pads four sets of tires , two batteries and on my third windshield.

ZMagic97 03-13-2012 04:13 AM

08 with 21K, no issues at all.

Yankee 03-13-2012 07:53 AM

I suggest pulling a couple spark plugs before you purchase. If it is burning much oil the plugs may show that, unless the seller was smart enough to change them out recently. Older vehicles would smoke if they burned oil, but it seems on the JK the cats eat the smoke (until they fail).

It seems like the 3.8's that were having serious internal problems had evidence of it before/around 40k, so hopefully you will do fine at higher mileage.

I am sure you will check for any obvious leaks underneath. Check the driveshaft boots for tears or any grease being thrown. Axle seals for any leaks, front ujoints for missing caps/clips or grease oozing out. Any of those problems can be fixed or help negotiate the price down.

My 07 has been virtually problem free, although it is only still shy of 40k miles. Although I have not had the 3.8 in it for years, I can say the rest of the stock drivetrain is pretty tough on mine. The electronics have been good, roof still don't leak. I think I will have to replace the front ujoints this year. And it is getting due for new tires.

It is nice to feel your excitement. I hope you get a good one, enjoy the hell out of it, and be safe.