Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

economy lift thoughts

Old 11-29-2017, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default economy lift thoughts

thanks in advance -
picked up a new used toy - 07 with space 2.5" lift - wondering about 2 things - adjusting pinion angle with offset bolts and should I replace coil springs and remove spacers - this is running 33" and will not be a serious crawler but more expedi-type
Old 11-29-2017, 11:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Are you saying that it currently has cam bolts installed? If that is the case, I would pull them out, find some cam bolt deletes to address the larger holes in the axle's bracket, and either go with control arm geo brackets, or add front adjustable arms to correct caster properly. If you plan to offroad that, first order of business is ditching cam bolts.

In regards to the spacers, there is nothing wrong with them for the time being. Longer term you're probably gonna want to pull em and replace with new springs instead, but there is nothing wrong with using spacers for now. I'd start upgrading steering components and such first.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

cam bolts on rear only - i will check angles this weekend - but the pinon angle was adjusted and does not hum or vibrate- all factory mounts on axle housing appear to be unmodified - nothing on front - I fixed death wobble on front with new parts tie rods, sway links, and new steering stabilizer shock - etc..
Old 11-29-2017, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

spacers i think will stay then - i do not notice a difference in ride from my TJ -
Old 11-29-2017, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

{control arm geo brackets...}
product suggestion are welcome -
Old 11-29-2017, 06:32 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by mine
- but the pinon angle was adjusted and does not hum or vibrate-
How was it adjusted? Via arms on brackets?

Originally Posted by mine
spacers i think will stay then - i do not notice a difference in ride from my TJ -
Y, ride is gonna be more about caster than springs vs. Spacers. Spacers are there more for tire clearance. At some point you might want to round out the full Suspension, but nothing wrong with them for now.

Quick Reply: economy lift thoughts