Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

End of Days - How Would You Modify Your JK (play along)

Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great responses so far.

Offroadme -- My buddies and I have always joked around about putting a .50 cal on the roof in case of a scenario like this. I like the way you think.

I'm adding a couple side arms to my hip as well now that you've all mentioned it, and a knife in case of cqb.

- Steel mesh guards for the front window and door windows
- offroad trailer w/ tons of dried or canned food, and water
Old 04-15-2009, 10:43 AM
JK Junkie

i forgot to add:

xbox 360
fallout 3
left 4 dead
resident evil 5

ya know... to keep up with the most current zombie neutralization techniques and survival
Old 04-15-2009, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

Well, since "Big Brother" has already flipped the switch that disables all modern day vehicle computers to make it impossible for our Jeeps to even be started let alone driven, I'd just fire up my old 61 IH Scout and head for the hills.
But wait....
who has the gasoline????
Old 04-15-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Super Freak

After the EMP pulse from the atomic bomb detonating in the upper atmosphere, all computers will be fried and nobodies JK is going anywhere unless you have a team of oxen
You better just move to Montana ahead of time and avoid the rush.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:34 AM
JK Junkie

Default GREAT thread! Lots of fun - enjoy this novel...

I love these scenarios, and I like to play this game sometimes too, when I'm bored at work or whatever...

Assuming money's no object, because you're going to liquidate your home equity, drain your 401k, etc., etc., in order to have the cash to stay alive:

First things first: Stock axles, even in a Rubi, have GOT to go. You're going to be driving that Jeep like a tank, and it's not one... in fact, in the U.S., it's damn near the LIGHTEST DUTY truck available. Go to a junkyard and find some heavy-duty axles you can ride on. Maybe D60s would cut it, but why take the chance?

Chances are, you're gonna be doing plenty of curb-hopping, driving over people, etc., especially if you need to get out of a metro area. So, your axles had better be up to the task. Ditto for the wheels, but there's not much that can be done for that... just buy some decent steelies and keep a hammer handy for emergency repairs. A couple spares wouldn't hurt.

If you're trying to get AWAY from something (a detonated nuke comes to mind), you're going to find the U.S. highway system woefully inadequate... this means bumper-to-bumper gridlock for MILES, but you've got something those suckers don't - your Jeep.

You'll need the ability to drive through (or over) guardrails, so a steel front bumper is an absolute must. And, when you ram that guardrail, you won't want an annoying airbag in your face, so you've got to be able to disable them with the flick of a switch (I'd say eliminate them entirely, but you never know if you'll need 'em).

The sheet metal in a JK isn't good enough to take much abuse, and I wouldn't trust the frame to handle much ramming without reinforcement. Solution: A full metal tube outer frame, similar to what you'd find in super-competitive demolition derbies.

Your radiator? Too exposed behind only that plastic grille... add some protection up front.

Goes without saying that you'll need skid plates - buy 'em as thick and sturdy as possible, and throw some EM shielding between them and the Jeep, just to be safe. You'll also want to insulate your electronics with EM shielding... a nuke detonated up in the ionosphere would render unshielded electronics useless, and instantly send 99.9% of the world back into the Bronze Age.

Winches are absolutely necessary, front and rear. The WARN Powerplant would be a great choice as your front winch, because it gives you compressor functionality... perfect for filling up your tires, running some lower-end pneumatics, etc.

Water? Yeah, sooner or later you WILL need to ford some water... a snorkel is your friend. Water can get into your diff without too much trouble if you go deep enough, and speaking of which, it goes without saying that you'll want extra diff fluid, tranny fluid, oil, gas, etc., on hand.

Need I mention that you'll want your gun(s) and plenty of ammo? You may need to hunt to stay alive, but more to the point, some assh0le's going to see your outfitted rig, compare it to his broken down vehicle, and get the bright idea that it should be his Jeep...

Off-road lights are great to have; someone on this site posted pics last year of their LED lightbar (I think it may have been an "Xmitter"?). Whatever it was, it almost literally turned night into day... very cool. As an added bonus, you could blind a deer with that thing, and that makes for easy hunting.

You'll need a CB, at minimum, to find other survivors. Couple that with your lighting and winch, and you're going to need some serious juice. Extra batteries are a must.

Bulletproof glass is definitely a nice-to-have feature, but adds considerable weight to the vehicle. Ditto for all the armor (rollcage, external tube frame, skid plates, steel bumper). If you go this route, you're going to need some extra muscle - a Hemi should pass muster on this task.

Your stock gearing? Throw that sh1t away - you need better gearing to handle the load, and should also seriously consider swapping-in a beefier transmission. Remember - your money's going to be entirely worthless when the apocalypse comes, so you're doing yourself a favor getting rid of it... it'd only weigh you down, anyway.

It goes without saying that you'll need a f@$k-ton of gear, and you've got to be able to carry it with you... so a basket on the roof and a basket on the rear are mandatory, even with a 4-door.

Hope that helps! If you survive, do me a favor and say a prayer for me, because I won't be among the survivors... I don't have the time, mechanical knowledge, or the loot to pull off anything NEAR this kind of build-up.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:44 AM
JK Super Freak

MJS_Jeep_888 -- my only response is wow... You know what you're talking about. How long have you been thinking about this kind of situation!? Great answer.

In general, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that EMP's only affect the electronics that are currently on during the blast, and only affects electronics within a certain mile radius? So, if your JK is not running or happens to be outside of the detonation zone and it's shockwave, wouldn't it still function!?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
MJS_Jeep_888 -- my only response is wow... You know what you're talking about. How long have you been thinking about this kind of situation!? Great answer.

In general, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that EMP's only affect the electronics that are currently on during the blast, and only affects electronics within a certain mile radius? So, if your JK is not running or happens to be outside of the detonation zone and it's shockwave, wouldn't it still function!?
Thanks man - I appreciate the compliment. I don't obsess over this or anything, but I did grow up during the Cold War, so the topic in general was definitely something that got my attention.

As far as the EMP thing goes, I can't claim I'm an expert - far from it. It's my understanding that solid-state electronics would be OK, but they're not the norm.

As to your question about EMP range, I'm making the assumption that a nuke has been detonated at a very high altitude above the continental U.S. (the logical move if you were one of our enemies). If you Google "Starfish Prime" you'll turn up some specifics and interesting details... but keep in mind that THAT test occurred way back when our electronics were much stronger (and less complex) than what you'd consider standard today.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm... Since one can assume that there will be plenty of folks attempting to take your ride, kill you and yours, you need to think beyond just running gear, tires and all that.

I'll just assume the later... big tires, rims, strengthened cage, better running gear, winch, lights, etc.

You have to consider the others in this scenario. Armor, supplies, fuel, spare parts/tires, survivial gear, weapons, etc.

Staying just on the vehicle, you will want an offroad capable trailer big enough to haul sufficient fuel, food, water, and supplies... thus you need a good, solid, flexible hitch system.

Both the trailer and your ride need to be armored to some degree, capable of resisting light infantry bullets. The trailer could be given run flats or solid/semi-solid tires, have it's interior shell lined with kevlar panels. The doors could have plate panels and kevlar sammwiched in as well as thick bullet resistant polycarb panels to replace the windows (and suitable framing/reinforcing). I would go full thick armor underneath (mostly off road, but some protection still). YOu need to line the engine compartment and hood with at least kevlar if not full on plating too, and the body panels side and rear. Windshield needs to go polycarb as well. Guess you have to go hard top and line it as well.

(The jeep is not something ideal here).

I would suggest an aux fuel tank, 3 - 5 gallons, plus remote switch gear to select which tank to use.

Gear wise you will want a good range of tools, jacks, air compressor, tire repair kits, etc.

Camo wrap or subdued/murdered paint, window tints all around.

-----

Personally, each person shoudl be armed with a blade weapon, 9mm or other common round sidearm, and a long gun. Those in this group should arm up in battery so the ammo is common and shared. The group shoudl have, extra or as a modified weapon, something with long reach and a scope. A few 12ga shotguns, pump for simplicity too. Cleaning gear, plenty of ammo, plenty of mags/clips/speedloaders.

Each person should also have gas masks with NBC filters, adaptable camelback or nato canteens (or both), LBE and internal framed packs, sleeping gear, personal shelter, ponchos and liners, fireproof and flexible field gloves, polycarb sunglasses, personal med kit, personal field kit and canteen/cup, 5 or more MREs and some dry ration bars, vitamins, common shared band radios (perhaps encrypted FRS all on same freq and key) with throat mic or headseat boom, field capable boots and clothing with extra socks and underwear, personaly hygene kit, hat, and cold weather gear (layered system coat and gloves, scarf/baclava, hat, thermal underwear, heavy socks) since you are going north and winter will bite. Nihm or Li flashlights (LED and tactical), personal water purifier, emergency fuel packs for cooking/heat, waterproof matches as well as striker pack, compass and maps. Sleeping bag and pad (4 season bag).

Group should have water purifiers, company level med kit with things like quick clot/suture kits/IV, field kitchen items (pots/pans/cooking grill), solar panel and charger plus NiHM or Li batteries for gear. Surivival candles. GPS units suitable for off-road/trail use (rechargeable). Full map set for roads to be traveled. Several extra tarps. Large, shared 4 season tents. Extra blankets. 30 days MREs for the group, 30 days ration bars for the group. Camp showers and bulk water carriers. Camp chairs, cots if there is room. Fuel for trip plus extra. Generator and parts. Long range radio of some kind plus spare parts for it.

Might consider long term stuff too... hand tools for construction, nails and screws, seed stock for easy to grow/hearty plants good for short growing seasons, saws for tree felling and making lumber. reference guides on building/constrution and farming, medical stuff, hunting and fishing, etc. Gotta hope you make it and you will need to setup once you get there.

Stuff for entertainment... MP3 players, novels,

Mountain bikes for all, plus spare tires and tools/parts to maintain.

Me... I would say a group of 6 - 10, 2 to a jeep with most having trailers. Strap on some mountain bikes, maybe a dirt bike too. one jeep at least should be free of a trialer... its the scout/lead.

I would also consider carrying trade goods... Booze, cigarettes/tobacco, extra ammo, cheap knives and tools, extra medical supplies, extra vitamins, extra foods, etc. You can use it later, or since it's considered extra it might skin your arse out of a problem with some locals for say parts or something.

Honestly though, the Jeep is not suited really. A bit small, a bit light, and difficult to armor up even to a most basic level given the design. It could do in a pinch with enough lead time and money/materials but 'just'.

As pointed out, all your electronic goodies need to be emp shielded prior to the attack... easy enough to do, plenty of guides on how to do it available. Car computers, GPS units, radios, etc.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GNNR
Hmmm... Since one can assume that there will be plenty of folks attempting to take your ride, kill you and yours, you need to think beyond just running gear, tires and all that.

I'll just assume the later... big tires, rims, strengthened cage, better running gear, winch, lights, etc.

You have to consider the others in this scenario. Armor, supplies, fuel, spare parts/tires, survivial gear, weapons, etc.

Staying just on the vehicle, you will want an offroad capable trailer big enough to haul sufficient fuel, food, water, and supplies... thus you need a good, solid, flexible hitch system.

Both the trailer and your ride need to be armored to some degree, capable of resisting light infantry bullets. The trailer could be given run flats or solid/semi-solid tires, have it's interior shell lined with kevlar panels. The doors could have plate panels and kevlar sammwiched in as well as thick bullet resistant polycarb panels to replace the windows (and suitable framing/reinforcing). I would go full thick armor underneath (mostly off road, but some protection still). YOu need to line the engine compartment and hood with at least kevlar if not full on plating too, and the body panels side and rear. Windshield needs to go polycarb as well. Guess you have to go hard top and line it as well.

(The jeep is not something ideal here).

I would suggest an aux fuel tank, 3 - 5 gallons, plus remote switch gear to select which tank to use.

Gear wise you will want a good range of tools, jacks, air compressor, tire repair kits, etc.

Camo wrap or subdued/murdered paint, window tints all around.

-----

Personally, each person shoudl be armed with a blade weapon, 9mm or other common round sidearm, and a long gun. Those in this group should arm up in battery so the ammo is common and shared. The group shoudl have, extra or as a modified weapon, something with long reach and a scope. A few 12ga shotguns, pump for simplicity too. Cleaning gear, plenty of ammo, plenty of mags/clips/speedloaders.

Each person should also have gas masks with NBC filters, adaptable camelback or nato canteens (or both), LBE and internal framed packs, sleeping gear, personal shelter, ponchos and liners, fireproof and flexible field gloves, polycarb sunglasses, personal med kit, personal field kit and canteen/cup, 5 or more MREs and some dry ration bars, vitamins, common shared band radios (perhaps encrypted FRS all on same freq and key) with throat mic or headseat boom, field capable boots and clothing with extra socks and underwear, personaly hygene kit, hat, and cold weather gear (layered system coat and gloves, scarf/baclava, hat, thermal underwear, heavy socks) since you are going north and winter will bite. Nihm or Li flashlights (LED and tactical), personal water purifier, emergency fuel packs for cooking/heat, waterproof matches as well as striker pack, compass and maps. Sleeping bag and pad (4 season bag).

Group should have water purifiers, company level med kit with things like quick clot/suture kits/IV, field kitchen items (pots/pans/cooking grill), solar panel and charger plus NiHM or Li batteries for gear. Surivival candles. GPS units suitable for off-road/trail use (rechargeable). Full map set for roads to be traveled. Several extra tarps. Large, shared 4 season tents. Extra blankets. 30 days MREs for the group, 30 days ration bars for the group. Camp showers and bulk water carriers. Camp chairs, cots if there is room. Fuel for trip plus extra. Generator and parts. Long range radio of some kind plus spare parts for it.

Might consider long term stuff too... hand tools for construction, nails and screws, seed stock for easy to grow/hearty plants good for short growing seasons, saws for tree felling and making lumber. reference guides on building/constrution and farming, medical stuff, hunting and fishing, etc. Gotta hope you make it and you will need to setup once you get there.

Stuff for entertainment... MP3 players, novels,

Mountain bikes for all, plus spare tires and tools/parts to maintain.

Me... I would say a group of 6 - 10, 2 to a jeep with most having trailers. Strap on some mountain bikes, maybe a dirt bike too. one jeep at least should be free of a trialer... its the scout/lead.

I would also consider carrying trade goods... Booze, cigarettes/tobacco, extra ammo, cheap knives and tools, extra medical supplies, extra vitamins, extra foods, etc. You can use it later, or since it's considered extra it might skin your arse out of a problem with some locals for say parts or something.

Honestly though, the Jeep is not suited really. A bit small, a bit light, and difficult to armor up even to a most basic level given the design. It could do in a pinch with enough lead time and money/materials but 'just'.

As pointed out, all your electronic goodies need to be emp shielded prior to the attack... easy enough to do, plenty of guides on how to do it available. Car computers, GPS units, radios, etc.
Nice. Team us up with adequate $$$ and we'll make it.

BTW, a big thumbs-up for this thread... this is the best, and most fun, thread I've read in a LONG time, excluding actual wheeling trips.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
and throw some EM shielding between them and the Jeep, just to be safe. You'll also want to insulate your electronics with EM shielding... a nuke detonated up in the ionosphere would render unshielded electronics useless, and instantly send 99.9% of the world back into the Bronze Age.
What is EM shielding ? I presume it stands for Electro Magnetic, but what exactly is the shielding made of, requirements to work ? curious....

Quick Reply: End of Days - How Would You Modify Your JK (play along)