Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First CO/MOAB Jeepin' Trip! AMAZING! (Pics)

Old 09-28-2013, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First CO/MOAB Jeepin' Trip! AMAZING! (Pics)

My wife and I completed out first Jeepin' trip this week!

It was absolutely amazing. We left last Friday morning @ 3:30am bound for Silverton, CO and the Grand Imperial Hotel. We successfully made the 905 mile trip to the front parking space of the Hotel and proceeded to Check-in...and then onto Handlebars for an amazing dinner...I suggest my meal of Cajun Chicken and a nice round of "The Mother Load" for dessert! Amazing peach cobbler with vanilla bean ice cream!!!

After a restless night of sleeping and being anxious...we woke up, packed...took a quick stroll down the main drag, cause it was the wife's first time there, and headed out to Engineer! At the trail head, we aired down, disconnected, and headed our way up! We arrived at Animas Forks, and then took Cinnamon down. We arrived into Lake City and headed back on Engineer to camp on the mountain. It rained that night..but we made the best of it.

The next night we headed into Ouray off of Engineer for an amazing Omelet at the Timberline Cafe!!! We toured Ouray for a little and headed up Yankee Boy Basin. Half way up, it started to snow on us! We finished the trail at the top, and made our way down the snowy trail, but was not too bad. Once we made it down, the rain was so heavy, we decided to pack it in for the night. Pizza at the little bar and grill was a nice comfort food given the rain that lasted all night and into the next morning.

We awoke to the entire mountain side covered in SNOW!!! I was skeptical to go up but we were not going to let this keep us down. We proceeded to Engineer again and against my good judgement...we attempted Poughkeepsie in the snow...bad idea, but we did make it with the assistance of the winch given the snow...and then attempted Hurricane Pass, but only made it about 1 mile in given the depth of snow...almost 12". Coming down was NO fun...low and slow is how we crawled across the snow and successfully made it back to the Engineer intersection. We continued onto Silverton again from there. I had to take my wife to the "Rocky Mountain Funnel Cake Factory." It is a staple in that town as far as I am concerned. We thought 2 more short trails could be done before we setup camp. We headed North to Maggie Gulch to the water fall, headed back through Silverton to Clear Lake...The single most impressive site we saw on this trip. EASY trail...but worth every inch! A must do for anybody headed up that way! We setup camp that night the local camp ground and FROZE our tails off! 26* in a tint with no heater is miserable!

Early the next morning, we headed up Ophir Pass. We previous days snow had melted and frozen the night before on the backside of the trail. Butt was puckered the entire way down! I suggested to a guy at the bottom that I would not recommend heading up...he said he would try it anyway. Hope he made it! We made it into Telluride for some quick necessities at the ACE Hardware Store and a great Sandwich at the "Brown Bag". We took a stab at Imogene and made it about .25 mile to the top, and could not continue due to the snow depth, and headed back down. We made it back into town for dinner at a nice meal and this concluded the Colorado portion of our trip.

The next morning we headed to Moab. Made it to town and headed to Fins-n-Things right away...AWESOMELY fun trail! We took on baby Lions Back for a quick thrill, and then onto Hurrah Pass/Chicken Corners. Made it half way and needed to turn around given light was minimal and still needed to make camp. It was a little better but crazy windy.

We woke up the next morning and headed to TOP OF THE WORLD....coolest trail and destination, great pictures! Went down and traveled to Arches national park and saw the sites there. Dinner at the 1950's drive-in "MILT's" (Cowboy Burger and a Shake is amazing).

Moab is an amazing town! We will be headed back ASAP! But more than likely with a Camper for the misses. LOL...WE LOVED THIS TRIP MORE THAN ANY OTHER WE HAVE TAKEN....THANKS JEEP! Pics to follow shortly

Rest Time

Last edited by devwil68; 09-28-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pictures!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2013, 04:41 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Old 09-28-2013, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Old 09-28-2013, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Old 09-28-2013, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Old 09-28-2013, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Wow, awesome pictures, and I'm super jealous.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice pictures Thank you, Glad you both enjoyed the trip.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by devwil68

Ohhh come on man, you could park a school bus between the front of your jeep and the edge of the ledge. Get that thing out there.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RoysRig
Ohhh come on man, you could park a school bus between the front of your jeep and the edge of the ledge. Get that thing out there.
I know! but the wife wouldnt let me go any further. Wish I would have, but there would have been grave consequences.

Quick Reply: First CO/MOAB Jeepin' Trip! AMAZING! (Pics)