Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First Jeep purchase, need help

Old 08-22-2017, 11:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

One last thing I might add........I'd angle to buy a jeep in stock form. If you want to lift it, at least you will know everything that was done to it in that regard. Part of the problem buying a jeep that is already lifted is trying to figure out what the heck someone has done to it....identifying parts/brands and such. You're stuck starting with what someone else deemed appropriate parts rather than what you might choose yourself.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:21 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Not disagreeing with you because I may be wrong. Can you clarify ? I thought there was a lot of talk about this in 2012 and "casting sand" being the problem.

There was a lot of talk about something in the coolant overflow bottle. People were calling it casting sand. Trouble is, sand isn't involved in the die-casting process.

Most people settled on it being a reaction of some kind with the anti-freeze.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
...You're stuck starting with what someone else deemed appropriate parts rather than what you might choose yourself.
Not only that but invariably sellers think they should get more for their modified JK than an unmolested one is worth, and amazingly some folks are willing to pay it. So you get dodgy modification choices, sort of a mystery of intent and quality of work, plus you have to pay extra for the privilege.

The Jeep Wrangler market doesn't work like ordinary car resale markets. There's just some kind of irrationality about them that drives prices weird. Anyway, take resharp's advice, buy one in stock trim. It'll be cheaper to buy and cheaper in the long run if you intend to modify it. And you'll have far greater peace of mind knowing only you are to blame for whatever bad consequences occur from the mods rather than blindly being mad at some previous owner

Last edited by mr72; 08-22-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
There was a lot of talk about something in the coolant overflow bottle. People were calling it casting sand. Trouble is, sand isn't involved in the die-casting process.

Most people settled on it being a reaction of some kind with the anti-freeze.
Thank you
Old 08-22-2017, 05:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's one expensive rec vehicle!!! My 08 has been trouble free. Bought it brand new. The 3.8's are solid and simple. Great motor.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the replies! I'll be honest I think I'm more confused then before ha ha. Should I be worried about mileage? I've seen some in my price range but have 80-120k on the odometer.

Last edited by jscribn1; 08-23-2017 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-23-2017, 07:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mr72
Not only that but invariably sellers think they should get more for their modified JK than an unmolested one is worth, and amazingly some folks are willing to pay it. So you get dodgy modification choices, sort of a mystery of intent and quality of work, plus you have to pay extra for the privilege.

The Jeep Wrangler market doesn't work like ordinary car resale markets. There's just some kind of irrationality about them that drives prices weird. Anyway, take resharp's advice, buy one in stock trim. It'll be cheaper to buy and cheaper in the long run if you intend to modify it. And you'll have far greater peace of mind knowing only you are to blame for whatever bad consequences occur from the mods rather than blindly being mad at some previous owner
I agree with this statement. I see brand new unlimited sports for 29k. You get something with 70-120k on the odometer and $3500 in lift, wheels and tires and they ask $37-42k. The sad part is they sell like crazy! I may look at an older stock 07-09 Rubicon and do it myself that way I really only need to lift it and not worry about axles or gears. Hard part is affording the upgrades after the purchase though. Thanks very much for replies

Last edited by jscribn1; 08-23-2017 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-23-2017, 11:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jscribn1
...I see brand new unlimited sports for 29k. You get something with 70-120k on the odometer and $3500 in lift, wheels and tires and they ask $37-42k. ... Hard part is affording the upgrades after the purchase though.

What "upgrades" do you really require? Where are you driving this that you really need Rubicon features? IDK your budget but if you can get a new Sport in your price range, then do it. The Rubicon features are only really valuable in very specific conditions and may very well not be nearly worth the extra money. Manual sway bar disconnects are cheap and easy to install and BLD is a pretty solid substitute for lockers in 99% of off-road conditions you'll likely encounter.

"Upgrades" after purchase are way cheaper than trying to buy a new or used Jeep that already has such upgrades installed, provided you can do the labor yourself. Another benefit is you get to choose specifically which "upgrades" you need and only pay for those, rather than dropping $10K on a package from Jeep that may or may not include what you need, much less some previous owner's opinion of what was necessary.

Of course I am derisively putting "upgrades" in quotes because I really do believe most of the "upgrades" are 99% cosmetic or ego-boosters for most folks. If you are price conscious, you're way better off with a bone stock brand new JKU Sport than a 100K+ "upgraded" Rubicon. Spend $500 on a winch in case you run into that 1% time when you really need locking diff over BLD. <$1K for MT tires if you absolutely need them, although rolling them on the highway behind an RV will wear them pretty quickly, I'd pick some ATs instead.

I still say if you are really budget conscious and are willing to get a Jeep with some miles on it, an XJ is a far better choice for a capable off-road vehicle with 4 doors. I'd have talked myself into one if not for the fact that I drive with the top down/off most of the time.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mr72
What "upgrades" do you really require? Where are you driving this that you really need Rubicon features? IDK your budget but if you can get a new Sport in your price range, then do it. The Rubicon features are only really valuable in very specific conditions and may very well not be nearly worth the extra money. Manual sway bar disconnects are cheap and easy to install and BLD is a pretty solid substitute for lockers in 99% of off-road conditions you'll likely encounter.

"Upgrades" after purchase are way cheaper than trying to buy a new or used Jeep that already has such upgrades installed, provided you can do the labor yourself. Another benefit is you get to choose specifically which "upgrades" you need and only pay for those, rather than dropping $10K on a package from Jeep that may or may not include what you need, much less some previous owner's opinion of what was necessary.

Of course I am derisively putting "upgrades" in quotes because I really do believe most of the "upgrades" are 99% cosmetic or ego-boosters for most folks. If you are price conscious, you're way better off with a bone stock brand new JKU Sport than a 100K+ "upgraded" Rubicon. Spend $500 on a winch in case you run into that 1% time when you really need locking diff over BLD. <$1K for MT tires if you absolutely need them, although rolling them on the highway behind an RV will wear them pretty quickly, I'd pick some ATs instead.

I still say if you are really budget conscious and are willing to get a Jeep with some miles on it, an XJ is a far better choice for a capable off-road vehicle with 4 doors. I'd have talked myself into one if not for the fact that I drive with the top down/off most of the time.
This is the type of info I'm looking for as I've never owned a Jeep. As far as upgrades this is on list.
Must have: 2.5" lift to fit 35's. Gears to accompany the 35's.
cosmetic: bumpers, fenders.
I like the AEV 2.5" kit, I'm handy with a wrench and would feel comfortable lifting it myself. Not sure I can do gears though and I've heard they are expensive too.
What is BLD? I'm a big guy 6'5" and I've looked at the XJ's and they are just too small especially with 2 teenagers that will be sitting in the back there's just no room. So you think a new or newer Unlimited Sport, stock and lift myself is the way to go huh?
Old 08-23-2017, 01:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jscribn1
Must have: 2.5" lift to fit 35's. Gears to accompany the 35's.
Someone else here will be able to advise you on this. I have a 2.5" lift front, 1.5" rear, which I even kind of regret doing. But IMHO 35" tires are overkill and necessitate regearing, and are almost 100% cosmetic.

What is BLD?
Brake-lock differential. It uses the ABS sensors and actuators to apply brake to a wheel that's spinning freely so torque is transferred to the other wheel on the axle. Has some (much?) of the benefit of locking diffs without the downsides and it's a standard feature on all JKs. Sure there are some (maybe rare) cases where BLD doesn't work as well as locking diffs.

So you think a new or newer Unlimited Sport, stock and lift myself is the way to go huh?
To me, a newer vehicle with the better (more powerful, modern, efficient) engine and warranty is more valuable than the Rubicon features. If you are doing hardcore rock crawling nearly all the time, maybe the Rubicon features are worth it. Just be honest about how much or what type of off-roading you are going to be doing, decide accordingly, that's my advice.

Quick Reply: First Jeep purchase, need help