Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First Jeep purchase, need help

Old 08-23-2017, 01:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I suggested Rubi only so you can get the 4.1 gears. If you go Sport with 3.21 gears you will end up paying close to $2k for new gears. Instead, put that $2k into the purchase price so you can afford a Rubi with 4.1 gears. I personally don't see the allure of 35" tires, so my 2012 jku Sport with 3.73 rear takes me everywhere I need to go.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I suggested Rubi only so you can get the 4.1 gears. If you go Sport with 3.21 gears you will end up paying close to $2k for new gears. Instead, put that $2k into the purchase price so you can afford a Rubi with 4.1 gears. I personally don't see the allure of 35" tires, so my 2012 jku Sport with 3.73 rear takes me everywhere I need to go.
Do the Sports come with 3.73's? I don't need 35's. just like the look. So if I go 2.5", AEV what size tire would you recommend?
Old 08-23-2017, 04:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jscribn1
Do the Sports come with 3.73's? I don't need 35's. just like the look. So if I go 2.5", AEV what size tire would you recommend?
I'd say 95% of sports do not come with 3.73. I ordered mine from factory because no place within 100 miles had one in 2012. If you find a 2012 with Max Tow package it will have 3.73. Model years after that, all bets are off as Max Tow didn't guarantee the 3.73 after 2012, or maybe 2013.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you end up going with an older model year, the "X" in 2007 was available with 4:10 gears. I ran this set up with 33's for several years and loved that Jeep.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
If you end up going with an older model year, the "X" in 2007 was available with 4:10 gears. I ran this set up with 33's for several years and loved that Jeep.
I had a 2007 4dr X, and I currently have a 2016 Rubicon Hard Rock. I liked my 2007, however the 2007's were the first model year for the 4 door, and they had some issues. Some 3.8s use a ton of oil, so much that you may need to add a quart every 1000 miles. In reading the forums, I don't think anyone ever found a 100% way to fix the oil consumption problem. I also had a lot of problems with the clutch assembly as my throwout bearing went out a few times. Also - my catalytic convertors went bad, likely because of the excess oil consumption.

I have had my 2016 for about a year now, about 14k miles. The only issue I have is the navigation not working and the radio needs to be replaced. It runs much better and I have had zero issues with it (knock on wood).

I personally would recommend a 2013+, or even a brand new one if your budget allows. At least in my area, the used ones are priced almost the same as new ones! If you purchase brand new, you have a warranty (just in case) and the reliability of a brand new jeep. My problem with purchasing used is that you never know what truly occurred with the vehicle before you. If you get stuck with a lemon, you might not have much recourse other than to dump money into it.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Get the 3.6 Pentastar for sure; you might even find a supercharged 3.6 at a great price.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mr72
What "upgrades" do you really require? Where are you driving this that you really need Rubicon features? IDK your budget but if you can get a new Sport in your price range, then do it. The Rubicon features are only really valuable in very specific conditions and may very well not be nearly worth the extra money. Manual sway bar disconnects are cheap and easy to install and BLD is a pretty solid substitute for lockers in 99% of off-road conditions you'll likely encounter.

"Upgrades" after purchase are way cheaper than trying to buy a new or used Jeep that already has such upgrades installed, provided you can do the labor yourself. Another benefit is you get to choose specifically which "upgrades" you need and only pay for those, rather than dropping $10K on a package from Jeep that may or may not include what you need, much less some previous owner's opinion of what was necessary.

Of course I am derisively putting "upgrades" in quotes because I really do believe most of the "upgrades" are 99% cosmetic or ego-boosters for most folks. If you are price conscious, you're way better off with a bone stock brand new JKU Sport than a 100K+ "upgraded" Rubicon. Spend $500 on a winch in case you run into that 1% time when you really need locking diff over BLD. <$1K for MT tires if you absolutely need them, although rolling them on the highway behind an RV will wear them pretty quickly, I'd pick some ATs instead.

I still say if you are really budget conscious and are willing to get a Jeep with some miles on it, an XJ is a far better choice for a capable off-road vehicle with 4 doors. I'd have talked myself into one if not for the fact that I drive with the top down/off most of the time.
Let me know what you think about this. Only concern is the mileage.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/6232591152.html
Old 08-24-2017, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jscribn1

Or this one?

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/cto/6246842495.html
Old 08-24-2017, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Definitely if you are getting a used JKU Sport and you plan to run anything besides the 29" tires that come standard on the 16" wheels, you want the 3.73 gears. Hold out for that absolutely.

You can get a "Willys Wheeler" edition with 4.10 gears if you really think you need them, but those are pretty late model and you might as well get a new one.

That's a great example of a way-overpriced used JK. You are very close to the price of a brand new one there.

New-Jeep price, bumper-to-bumper warranty expired. Another good example of an overpriced used Jeep.

Again, my point is the same as before. If you are spending $25K+, buy a new one. Buy a new one with the base 29" tires, 3.73 gears, sport with soft top, manual windows, no nav, etc. (basically stripped), you can get out the door for probably $28K or less, then spend $500 on your lift, $1K on bumpers if you have to have them, and get a set of take-off wheels/tires on CL from another Jeep for $400-800 (Rubicon/Willys/etc. wheels/tires), sell the 29ers for $300-400. There you go, $29K total spent and you get a new Jeep with 32" tires and your lift and bumpers of choice. If you're dying for 33" tires then you can get a set of take-off wheels with no rubber even cheaper and then spend $750 on tires, you're done. Still a way better deal in the end than buying someone else's project jeep that's 3 years old with miles to prove it.

If your budget is more like $10-15K, then hunt down a bone-stock 2012+ with the lowest-possible mileage. Only way you will find one in the under-$15K price range is getting a totally stripped, stock sport. Or you can get a really fantastic XJ for under $10K.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mr72
Definitely if you are getting a used JKU Sport and you plan to run anything besides the 29" tires that come standard on the 16" wheels, you want the 3.73 gears. Hold out for that absolutely.

You can get a "Willys Wheeler" edition with 4.10 gears if you really think you need them, but those are pretty late model and you might as well get a new one.

That's a great example of a way-overpriced used JK. You are very close to the price of a brand new one there.

New-Jeep price, bumper-to-bumper warranty expired. Another good example of an overpriced used Jeep.

Again, my point is the same as before. If you are spending $25K+, buy a new one. Buy a new one with the base 29" tires, 3.73 gears, sport with soft top, manual windows, no nav, etc. (basically stripped), you can get out the door for probably $28K or less, then spend $500 on your lift, $1K on bumpers if you have to have them, and get a set of take-off wheels/tires on CL from another Jeep for $400-800 (Rubicon/Willys/etc. wheels/tires), sell the 29ers for $300-400. There you go, $29K total spent and you get a new Jeep with 32" tires and your lift and bumpers of choice. If you're dying for 33" tires then you can get a set of take-off wheels with no rubber even cheaper and then spend $750 on tires, you're done. Still a way better deal in the end than buying someone else's project jeep that's 3 years old with miles to prove it.

If your budget is more like $10-15K, then hunt down a bone-stock 2012+ with the lowest-possible mileage. Only way you will find one in the under-$15K price range is getting a totally stripped, stock sport. Or you can get a really fantastic XJ for under $10K.
Ok, message received loud and clear! Ha ha. I'll be looking for a brand new stripped model and building it myself. I'm going to search for a new, 2017 towards the end of the year hoping to get a smoking deal. I'll report back when I get one. You have no idea how much I appreciate your advice. If you were closer I'd buy you a beer!

Last edited by jscribn1; 08-24-2017 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: First Jeep purchase, need help