Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First time out in snow...I think I TRASHED my D30 4.88's

Old 12-27-2010, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tpm152
What has happened to the transfer case when people have pulled others out in reverse? Are the components in the front portion of the t-case lighter duty or something, so when the main pulling axle is the front it puts too much stress on it?
I don't know anything about Tcase failure, but pulling with my front bumper was what I was doing when my front diff failed. After doing my research and discovering how small and really weak the d30 R&P is, coupled with the fact that the gears aren't designed to have the same stresses put on them in reverse than they are going forward, is what did mine in. I would be interested to know how or what is failing in the tcase if that is the case... haha, that reads funny. tcase if that is the case... It's easy to amuse me.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tpm152
What has happened to the transfer case when people have pulled others out in reverse? Are the components in the front portion of the t-case lighter duty or something, so when the main pulling axle is the front it puts too much stress on it?
Unfortunately I can't find the link(s) now - I'll do a bit more searching. As I recall the driver was pulling someone out in reverse and his transfer case exploded. Someone thought the transfer case was weaker pulling in reverse, but I can't remember why. I just remembered that pulling in reverse is not a good idea, which I guess really is the bottom line.

Here are two links that have other reasons why pulling in reverse is not a good idea:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ery-in-Reverse
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...hy-not-reverse
Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by NJKen
... So as I am pulling him out which was seeming to go very easy btw, all of a sudden I hear a clunk up front. ...
To be honest, because you describe it as an easy pull it doesn't sound like a weakness of the D30 in general so much as something specifically wrong in yours. I've pulled plenty of vehicles out without a problem. LOL: At least I hope no, because I'm putting a bunch of money into my D30 in hopes that it will continue to perform off-road as it has for the past 68K miles.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default whats this

Newb looking for info...what is a D30 ? i know its like the axle and what not, but is it stock? Is a. stock JK ok to be pulling people out of ditch's with, obviously from the rear, and has anyone had any problems pulling with the stock hook in the back on the drivers side?

BTW i pulled out a F-450 Dually, Burried in the ditch... it was a bucket truck for a local company who fixes street lights.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok after getting a moment to look at it, turns out my driver side u-joint failed and my hobbling home did more damage. I will take a picture but it also looks like my axle is shot.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
Relatively easy fix.

Don't drive on it like that.

It takes about 30-45 minutes max to pull out the shaft and stuff a large rag in the tube to keep road grim out and fluid in the tube, then reassemble things without the shaft.

You can drive it like that. You will just not have anything more than 3 wheel drive.

Then, look for a take-off front shaft from someone who has upgraded to chromoly shafts--or use this as an excuse to upgrade yours if you will never go larger than 35s.
Thanks for the tip, but here is 2 pics to show how bad it is

EDIT:

2 Quick questions
1. Can I just upgrade to the Superior Axle on one side for now?
2. Any problems running the Superior Axle with the Dynatrac Ball joints I have?

Last edited by NJKen; 12-27-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

I've been down that road a few times, easy fix. If you're going to hang on to your D30 I recommend picking up a SBS plug from Off Road Evolution, it beats stuffing rags in your axle housing when you need to pull an axle.

I also recommend fixing it your self. This is a great thing to know how to do on the trails, I've pulled quite a few axles out in the middle of nowhere which allowed us to get home at a reasonable time with no tow truck involved.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CA-JK
I've been down that road a few times, easy fix. If you're going to hang on to your D30 I recommend picking up a SBS plug from Off Road Evolution, it beats stuffing rags in your axle housing when you need to pull an axle.

I also recommend fixing it your self. This is a great thing to know how to do on the trails, I've pulled quite a few axles out in the middle of nowhere which allowed us to get home at a reasonable time with no tow truck involved.
Thanks, you gave me the nudge I needed to order the axle shaft and do it myself.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did the exact same thing about a year ago, snapped my driver side u-joint pulling out a disabled volvo from a snowbank
Old 12-27-2010, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check with your insurance. Sometimes they have plans that will allow you to have it flat bedded to the nearest shop for free or at least they may cover the hook up fee. Unless you know what you are looking at I wouldn't move it anymore.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: First time out in snow...I think I TRASHED my D30 4.88's