Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First time out in snow...I think I TRASHED my D30 4.88's

Old 12-27-2010, 01:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010BlueIslander
Newb looking for info...what is a D30 ? i know its like the axle and what not, but is it stock? Is a. stock JK ok to be pulling people out of ditch's with, obviously from the rear, and has anyone had any problems pulling with the stock hook in the back on the drivers side?

BTW i pulled out a F-450 Dually, Burried in the ditch... it was a bucket truck for a local company who fixes street lights.
A D30 is the stock front axle on the JKs, except Rubi's (which have a D44 on the front). The D44 is stronger. Some folks aren't even happy with that, so upgrade to D60s, so you'll see plenty of references to all three axles here on the forum. ORE has pictures either here on the forum or on Facebook comparing the components of all three axles, and it's easy to see how much beefier the bigger ones are.

BTW: Most JKs have a D44 on the rear, but there are a very few that have a D35. D44 is better. Even at that, the D44s in the Rubi are not exactly like the D44 in the non-Rubi's. So, you'll come across discussion about carrier gears, spline counts, etc, that all go into the equation.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions how to pull the shaft out of the housing? Its not just gliding out
Old 12-28-2010, 03:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow Ken u did a number on it huh??!! Like plan man said it might need some motivation.. Are u trying to get the bearing off or the shaft out of the diff??? If it's the bearing u can use a socket with a small extension on the 12pt bolts, and wedge the socket on the bolt and on the housing. Start the jeep and turn the wheel and use the power steering to help push it out.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

Man that sucks! Let us know and see when it's back up
Old 12-28-2010, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
A D30 is the stock front axle on the JKs, except Rubi's (which have a D44 on the front). The D44 is stronger. Some folks aren't even happy with that, so upgrade to D60s, so you'll see plenty of references to all three axles here on the forum. ORE has pictures either here on the forum or on Facebook comparing the components of all three axles, and it's easy to see how much beefier the bigger ones are.

BTW: Most JKs have a D44 on the rear, but there are a very few that have a D35. D44 is better. Even at that, the D44s in the Rubi are not exactly like the D44 in the non-Rubi's. So, you'll come across discussion about carrier gears, spline counts, etc, that all go into the equation.

Thanks alot Mark! I have a 2010 islander, as everyone knows it shares the suspension an tires with the rubi, do you know if it shares the D44 in the front to?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2010BlueIslander
Thanks alot Mark! I have a 2010 islander, as everyone knows it shares the suspension an tires with the rubi, do you know if it shares the D44 in the front to?
It does not.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just wanted to follow this thread up with the outcome. I ended up picking up a new set of Alloy USA gears and install kit, a new Superior axle shaft and a u-joint for the good stock shaft.

I needed to get this back on the road even if it was temporary. So I decided to drop it off at a local tire and heavy truck repair shop and let them not only put in the ring and pinion but also my Crown extended brake lines (RED) and my steering stabilizer. (Basically the the last two items I had in the garage and on my to do list)

I picked up the Jeep today and was ready for a big bill and was greeted to a bill of $471! I wanted to hug them LoL!

Anyway, I started breaking the gears in today and I put it 4wd just to make sure everything sounded good. And so far I am pleased with the work, and the best part of this whole experience was that I rented a 2011 Grand Cherokee. This was great because of the fact that I sold my 2010 GC SRT8 and bought the JK to use until the 2012 GC SRT8's come out. And I was really impressed with the new GC's

Thanks again to all those who provided assistance in this thread and via PM's!

Last edited by NJKen; 01-06-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJKen
I picked up the Jeep today and was ready for a big bill and was greeted to a bill of $471! I wanted to hug them LoL!
Wow, talk about a good deal on labor
Old 01-05-2011, 03:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good deal Ken!!!!!!! That's a great price.

sent by the rinkish with tapatalk power!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

thanks for the thread and the outcome,

This is a good lesson to all of us seems like with all the snow/ice around we will see a lot of these when you get suddon traction.

Quick Reply: First time out in snow...I think I TRASHED my D30 4.88's