Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Flood vehicle buy back - Opinions wanted.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flood vehicle buy back - Opinions wanted.

My wife's 2014 JKUR, which we bought new, was in a flood. The water level was just above the seat bottoms for less than 12 hours. Insurance totaled it and buy back is around 12k after all dealer & towing fees. They had to total it due to water getting into the dash, but it was only the very bottom, around the bottom of the speakers. The dealer says they were able to talk to all the electronics and it doesn't show any water in the engine, trans or front/rear diffs. It starts and runs with no check engine light. I'll have to clean or replace some of the interior and I'm sure there's some Gremlins that will pop up over time, but, for the most part, 12k for '14 JKUR seems like a no brainer, right?

I can do all the work necessary, including pulling the dash out/apart and cleaning, if need be, all electrical components. For the record, that 12k price is the starting price, I'm trying to negotiate them down a bit.

Just curious to what everyone's thoughts are?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go for it!
Old 08-16-2017, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much did they give you for totaling it?
Old 08-17-2017, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

i would check your diffs... seats are cheap. speakers...blah. enjoy the sounds of nature.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Since it is your Jeep I would jump all over it, however depending on your state you may need to check with the DMV or Public Safety Department to see the registion requirements for a slavaged vehicle? Also check with your insurance company to see if they will provide insurance for a salvaged title.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Since it was your vehicle, and you knew exactly what happened, I'd feel comfortable doing it. If you were asking about buying that vehicle from someone else....I'd run away as fast as possible. Direct knowledge of the details vs. someone telling you what happened makes all the difference in my mind.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bottom of the dash is not bad at all, any higher and I would reconsider. You may be plagued with some electrical gremlins down the road but if your comfortable trouble shooting things like that then I would go for it.
Defiantly change out ALL fluids (motor,tcast,trans,diffs,radiator,brakes,PS)

If this was is salt water it maybe a whole different story.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kellen
How much did they give you for totaling it?
36k, so far.

Originally Posted by Canvas
Since it is your Jeep I would jump all over it, however depending on your state you may need to check with the DMV or Public Safety Department to see the registion requirements for a slavaged vehicle? Also check with your insurance company to see if they will provide insurance for a salvaged title.
I already called, I can insure it the same as a non-salvage vehicle.

Originally Posted by jchappies
Bottom of the dash is not bad at all, any higher and I would reconsider. You may be plagued with some electrical gremlins down the road but if your comfortable trouble shooting things like that then I would go for it.
Defiantly change out ALL fluids (motor,tcast,trans,diffs,radiator,brakes,PS)

If this was is salt water it maybe a whole different story.
My uncle has a shop with a lift so I would trailer it there first and change all the fluids.

I was able to use my Flashcal, which was underwater for xx hours, to change the tires from 35's back to stock, so that was good news. I should be able to fix or troubleshoot most problems that don't require a top end scan tool. But, a friend has a nice Snap-On scan tool that I should be able to borrow to check everything in more detail.

Plus, if worse comes to worst, my best friend does fab work and his son is the head fab guy / crew chief / race prep guy for a Baja 1000 trophy truck team so between them we can build it into something wicked.

Oh, and it was lake water. It was between a lake and a corn field so pesticide is a concern.

This is the water level.Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep flood.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	674160
Old 08-18-2017, 06:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's no concern. I've been as deep as that with no issues afterwards. I have also seen a bunch of guys on Youtube doing it, again no issues. Maybe I should have recorded it and had my insurance company totaled it, then buy her back?? Here hold my beer... hahah

How long where you submerged for? I was in water that deep for about 20min. If it starts and runs, then you have nothing to worry about.

Check this out....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBv34DDCpoE
Old 08-18-2017, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NewOldSchool
That's no concern. I've been as deep as that with no issues afterwards. I have also seen a bunch of guys on Youtube doing it, again no issues. Maybe I should have recorded it and had my insurance company totaled it, then buy her back?? Here hold my beer... hahah

How long where you submerged for? I was in water that deep for about 20min. If it starts and runs, then you have nothing to worry about.
Probably for around 10-12 hours.

Quick Reply: Flood vehicle buy back - Opinions wanted.