Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Flood vehicle buy back - Opinions wanted.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been through water crossings that deep....only issue would be what got wet inside the cab.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	674171
Old 08-20-2017, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't concerned about a quick water crossing. I too have had the Jeep in water this deep, at the end of Imogene Pass in Colorado (beside the bridge), some of the Kane Creek water crossings in Moab, etc. It's the standing water that was sitting in it overnight that I was worried about. Remember, this thing had water above the seat bottoms / console for around 12 hours.

I've got it back to my house now and pulled all of the seats, console, carpets, trim etc. Anything not painted has surface rust. Everything has a layer of dirt on it and there's definitely some mold growth around various places. It's been just over 3 weeks and the seat belt tensioner springs were still completely full of water and it's been 80-90s here and we ran a dehumidifier in it for 3-4 days after it happened.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would double check on the insurance coverage they are offering you. I believe they will only insure it for the amount that you paid to get it back. It’s going to have a salvage title, so I’m almost positive they would price it accordingly.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsukey
I would double check on the insurance coverage they are offering you. I believe they will only insure it for the amount that you paid to get it back. It’s going to have a salvage title, so I’m almost positive they would price it accordingly.

The bank and insurance company screwed up so we're just now waiting on the check / title so now I can finally start the process to go from a salvage to rebuilt title, which is what I need to get full coverage on it again. In the end, we got a check for 37k and I only paid $7500 to buy it back and have been driving it everyday for a few weeks now. I changed all the fluids, stripped / cleaned the interior, replaced 3 engine pulleys and, so far, that's all it needed. I'm still not sure why they totaled it. (Actually, I'm pretty sure the body shop manager wanted it so he was hoping we wouldn't pick it up from the dealer.)

If worse comes to worse. . . it will become a dedicated off-road rig. Weird to think I paid twice as much for a '14 rzr 1000 vs a '14 JKUR with 75k.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I totaled out my ‘98 Jeep Grand Cherokee over 15 years ago, due to submersion. The water was about where you said yours was. I was told that as soon as water hits the dash, it’s considered a total loss. $7500 is an awesome deal though! Just make sure to save all of your receipts. Pictures of the rebuild are good to have as well. They will want to see proof of it being rebuilt, in order for them to issue a rebuilt title.

Quick Reply: Flood vehicle buy back - Opinions wanted.